1st experience: frustrating

MMOs are fun, they said. It’s all fun and games, they said. So I thought I’d jump into the game and try to figure it out on my own.

And there I was, minding my own business, looking around when suddenly I couldn’t move. Realized I was being attacked, but there was no way for me to get out of the way. Next thing I know, I’m dead, then respawned in some graveyard with no idea what to do.

Fine, I thought. I’ll watch some tutorials.

Huh, so all I need to do is talk to NPC called Randall or whatnot, he’ll teach me how to play? Ok, let’s find my way back to Highsteppe… oh, but wait - there are little trolls on the way there and every time they see me, they make it so I can’t move. All I can do is stand and wait to be slaughtered, and then I’m back at the effing graveyard.

Did that 3 times, before I popped an aneurysm (or perhaps a hemorrhoid, not sure), and hurled a barrage of verbal abuse at my computer.

Any suggestions? Besides going to see a proctologist, I mean

Yeah you have an item that will get you back to town in your inventory. If you had someone help you out for a half hour you’d be okay.

Rnadel should have sent you to do something rather easy. Did you skip all his text?

It sounds like he didn’t even spawn next to Randall… This description is as if your starting point is completely somewhere else. Or you decided from second one to walk far away. Because if you die from mobs close you should be getting at the grave next to Randall again.

But ya solution is using the home teleport device to get back to highsteppe. (Found in your inventory, equip it on your belt and hold it in your hand for multiple seconds)

Also next time you get attacked you can actually run away (although very slow) with teleport locomotion. This should work (if the mob is not waaaay stronger then you)

I bet they went straight down the path from Highsteppe and to the left. Get far enough in that direction and you’ll be closer to the graveyard by the lake than the one by Highsteppe. Right now that graveyard is surrounded by harvest monsters, which I imagine would be difficult to get past at level 1.

And this is why we need to bring back bart’s tutorial. At least you could clearly tell he was a tutorial.

2 Likes

I remember at least 2 people in the old game I had to guide back to Highsteppe and the tutorial myself. They were all bored with the rabbits and wanted to kill something higher to level and totally missed the fact that they were in any kind of tutorial and were wondering why there are no quests in the game…

Meaning: I think there should be some really obvious indications like glowing arrows pointing to the NPCs the new players should find first. Just spawning in front of them, facing them seems to be not enough. Those stars we have now … i was wondering what those were until a loooong time, tought those are some graphical glitches or something…

You could even go 1 step further and just have the player start right in front of the NPC with the text already up or some really obvious sign telling you to speak to the NPC to progress.

The tutorial should be completely fool proof.

There will always be the odd 1 or 2 people that ignore it and wander off but the majority should hopefully not have there first experience potentially ruined like OP had.

As I recall you spawn with Randel right in front of you with a big exclamation point on his head waving at you. I think the text even has some basic text telling you to wave at him.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your replies.

Yeah, I first spawned next to a wall. I saw some peeps in the distance, like 20 yards away, and one of them could have been Randall, not sure. I didn’t feel like engaging other players until I figured out the basics, so I headed left where there wasn’t anyone around. Ran into a mob of trees that killed me, and that’s when I found myself spawning endlessly in that graveyard.

I’ll look for the teleport device next time I feel like trying this out. Right now I’m feeling kinda done with the game

1 Like

It sounds like what AshWilliams described is what happened to you. You spawned in and walked directly away from the starting NPC that gives you the tutorial quests. Older MMO’s like Anarchy online and Asheron’s Call were plagued with this type of thing as well. Simply open your inventory…Find the teleport home device, equip it. Close inventory and look at your belt. Grab the thing that looks like a mini snow globe on a disc and hold it in your hand for 10 seconds and you will teleport to Highsteppe. You are now in player housing (instanced area just for you). Leave it via the front door (grab doorknob and pull) then navigate out of highsteppe (Follow exit signs and check Map, it’s a small town.) Once you leave via the door to the far left of NPC Darius, Randal will be just slightly down the hill (Should be a crowd by him). If you want to give it a try I’ll be on after 5pm central today, my in-game name is ‘Obrimos’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.