Beta 4 Feedback: Highsteppe & Overworld Zones

Hi everyone, we’ve made some changes to the layout of Highsteppe so it should feel pretty different from last beta. We have also added a new zone called the Wasteland that has a dragon race as well as a public event and some brand new monster types!

Please let us know any feedback you have regarding those!

how do we see the ‘zoom’ feature thing. i cant see any way to get it to work.

The ground around the world boss event was super bumpy, sliding on it was awful please fix, the ramps in highsteppe was the same too

So I think what’s happening there is it’s bumping around when your FPS drops (it was happening to me too). Working on a fix for this afternoon’s patch.

gathering (not mining) seems to take many hits (like 6 sometimes) to gather.

Can the player house be made more obvious?

3 Likes

Bedouin camp teleport sends you to the void and going to graveyard sends you into the same spot

Highsteppe gate teleport sends you into a wall

Do you need me to move you someplace? The Bedouin Camp one would have put you in the place that doesn’t exist anymore.

Yeah the bumping is horrible this is it at 70fps dips

Might have to give the beta a rest until it’s patched the bumping is slowly melting my mind.

Should be fixed in the next patch we’re pushing out shortly.

Nah I used my home teleport, luckily it was off cooldown but thanks!

no haptic feedback at all on fishing. you also cant see the color of the line anymore… it is too bright. It is also super slow to reel in and also held at a very strange angle.

I’ve now broken 2 of my 3 lures…

Okay… so haptic feedback is working… but can we get haptic feedback on both hands? one of my controller’s feedback is dead.

Speaking of fishing, a couple of existing bugs crop up, as well as some new ones:

• Fishing on Ultra settings is painfully slow since the line rarely turns red. On low settings, the line turns red after a couple of revolutions, and the lure moves very quickly. (Can’t remember if this bug was ever fixed in vanilla Orbus)
  • Having to hold the grip buttons down to fish is painful - literally. To fix this, just pass the fishing pole between both hands a couple of times. Eventually it will stick to one hand or the other. You can still interact with the pole while it is ‘stuck’ to your hand.
  • No mirror image for holding the pole in the left hand - you wind up crossing your arms to reel with the right hand
  • When holding the pole in the right hand on Ultra settings, the haptic feedback occurs in both hands and is very ‘smooth’ (makes it difficult to tell when a fish bites). If you switch to your left hand, the haptic feedback only occurs in one hand and is more like vanilla Orbus, with ‘ticks’ of vibrations.

I’m not a fan of the new Highsteppe design. On the previous betas it was easy to find everything you needed, now it’s a pain to reach some places.
For example the stairs were pretty easy to spot, now i need to run in cirlce for a while before finding one and there are no more stairs next to the Dragon Trainer.
I also have an harder time finding the house and the critter capture quests even though i know their locations.

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! Bring back big Highstep!

1 Like

One thing I am missing from Orbus is signage. I agree with Shiki that it is very difficult to find stairs, the player house, NPCs, and even entrances to other zones. I liked having road signs pointing to towns / zones. They make it easier to find your way (at least at the start) without needing to constantly look at the compass. Highsteppe still feels a bit dead to me. There were more clusters of NPCs making it seem more active / full in orginal orbus Highsteppe. I do like the one lady carrying the board around.

1 Like

Yea i agree, bring back the Highsteppe from last Beta. Its horrible to find things now, i was searching my House or the Stairs everytime for ages… and we definitely need more signs ingame, im lost so many times :rofl:

3 Likes

I liked how it was easier to find your house and stairs in the last beta, however I do think it is easier to find the mission givers. I think you need to combine the 2 by having the house and stairs like they were before and keeping the missions where they are now.

1 Like

Personally, i like the idea of putting all the mission vendors around the main circle like darius and the mayor… and having the player house also around the circle.

I found Highsteppe to be extremely confusing in this beta so far:

• Entering from the ‘main gate’ (by the event), you are immediately faced with a closed-off path. To the left, a tiny crevasse will take you around to the center of town. To the right, you get lost in the mess of houses trying to find your way to the center. It honestly reminds me of Guild City now a little, with how confusing it is to get around. I’d say this one is worse, though.
  • Every time you enter or leave the city, you exit turned toward the door rather than facing away from the door as you would naturally be.
  • Fewer stairs down to the lower floor meant it was harder to find your way down or back up. I actually went around the bottom floor a few times in a circle before i found the location
  • The portal event beacon seems to show up occasionally, but it looks way too close ( I thought it was the gate protection event). Didn’t see any other event beacons.
  • Having three exits but only two of them working was weird and annoying. I often found myself approaching an exit in joy at having finally found my way of leaving only to hear the clicking of a locked door. Also the third exit location doesn’t even really make sense… It would drop you off right into the mountain wall…
  • The player house is impossible to find and is way out of the beaten path. Please put it right off the center circle! Also, it’s totally not obvious which house is the player house. In the original game, we had a vendor standing there. In this one, you’ve opted for a bit of wooden flooring.

Things I think might be nice:

• Sign posts above the gates saying which exit it is
  • Opening up the access gate paths so you can just go straight (or nearly straight) into the city center
  • More stairs or some kind of demarcation showing the paths so it’s more clear. I’d prefer the former but if you’re dead set on this design, having something like the old Knights symbol pointing on the floor to the stairs on the top and bottom could work.
  • Public Event timers! With more events, it would be nice to have a wall of timers somewhere in the city that shows which are active and when the next ones are popping. If you don’t want to post all of them, maybe just have the wall cycle with any that have reached the 5 min mark down to the active ones.
  • Way lower on my list of things, but it’s sure to cause the mage community some annoyance… The friendship circle is F - Chicken foot, while the Highsteppe portal used to be diamond - chicken foot. If possible, I’d like to request that you keep at least that one the same. Understandable if you ignore that request though, I guess
  • Bit of a peeve of mine… Placing the battlegrounds npc in the center of the city gives off the appearance that it’s more Central to the game rather than an optional side item. Can you switch it with the mayor, whose quests are a little more central to the game? (Also it would make more sense to have the mayor in the center of the town)