Beta Client: New Networking

A new Beta version of the game will be hitting the Steam and Oculus stores later today. This is identical to the main version in the 6.30 update with the new Fellowship and Transmog features, but it has a totally new and re-worked networking code for the “Default” networking type.

If you have had issues in the past with crashes or disconnects on the Default type, please give this new version a go and see if it helps improve your experience.

As a reminder, to join the Beta branch on Steam, right-click on "OrbusVR’ in your Steam Library list, and then choose “Properties…”. In the window that opens, pick the “Beta” tab along the top, then choose “beta” from the drop-down list. Your game will update to the new version immediately.

To join the Beta branch on Oculus, you must PM me your Oculus Account email address so that I can add you to the Beta channel manually, as they don’t currently have a self-service way to do so.

If you have any feedback on the new Networking on the Beta branch, please leave it here. Thanks!

2 Likes

So this has not actually gone out yet, since I was dealing with a bug on the main build, but I am working on a build for this now and it should be out in the next hour or so. Just in case anyone was wondering.

1 Like

This is now available on the Beta channels of both Steam and Oculus. Choose the “Default” connection type to use the new networking. If you run into issues, please let me know, and you can always just temporarily use the Websocket type if needed.

Note that this build doesn’t have the fix for the wonky Fellowship menu showing other Fellowships bug yet, I will put out a new patch on it with that fix after the main branch fix for that goes out.

Thanks!

I just tried relogging with Default connection but i’m in the white space and my character is not loaded, websocket works fine

I’ll probably give beta a try Wednesday as tomorrow is raid day

just tried again and got the same issue but different location

Hang on I am going to have to do a restart here to fix it.

Okay I just did a quick tweak and a restart to hopefully help with that. Let me know if it’s working better now for you.

Now the white screen issue happened once, but twice steamVR crashed while trying to login (and the computer was unresponsive for about 2mins). Got screenshot of the game’s window and there was a long error:

EDIT: tried again and another white screen, at least steamvr didn’t crash

Ok last report for now: before the restart websocket was working, default wasn’t. After the restart both broke but with default i was also getting crashes on steamVR (both in beta), now i installed the default version and am currently able to play with websocket. I guess it’s a beta problem.

Okay yeah I think I know what needs to happen for this, I will do some more work on it and put out a new patch later tonight, in the mean time thanks for giving it a shot.

Having this same issue on Oculus Store beta version. Default crashes with a bunch of error codes like the pic above. Websocket leaves me up in the sky with nothing and then get disconnected shortly after. Might have to issue another request to be on beta soon if I have to revert to normal brach to play for now.

Yeah if you need to hop off Beta feel free, I can always add you back in.

I have been playing on alternate websocket for quite a while. But now it loads that white screen. While the normal websocket selection works. I crash back to oculus home after maybe 5 minutes.

You mean on the Beta branch?

Nope. Just the regular version I guess. I haven’t opted in any beta branch. I am on the oculus home version

What is your Oculus email? It’s possible you were opted in previously or something.

I had that problem too without beta while in a raid, after a few mins of restarting the game it fixed itself.

Thanks! I hate to bother you to do it, but I’m always glad to get back on