Does it run well on Oculus Quest?

I’m considering to purchase an Oculus Quest but really the only reason for me is to play OrbusVR.

Could someone tell me if it is stable on the Quest before I make a purchase decision? I’ve heard mixed stories.

Seems most of the issues related to quest have to do more with bugs than with the hardware itself. I’m guessing that lots of quest games (not just Orbus) were ported over as quickly as possible so that they would be available on launch day for Quest, buggy or not. It also means that these bugs will be patched out sooner or later.

As far as graphics go I believe you will have to the equivalent of normal settings or one less to run Orbus on Quest…so try toggling that in game if you have access to the PC version to see what it looks like.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of opinions on this, I’ll do my best to keep it real and mitigate both my inner fanboi and ranty mc’ranterson. I’ll sound fairly critical because I am. I’d suggest waiting for the experience to be more dialed in.

Do not buy a headset just for one game is general advice I’d give (quest is a lot of fun, and there’s lots of other titles too), definitely not just for orbus right now as the quest version of the experience is wayyyy less impressive than on PC, and even the PC version is still a work in progress. Lots of changes, and annoying bugs. If you’re OK with this sort of thing game then by all means, just know what you’re getting in to and be OK with that rather than regret it or be sour.

It has potential for sure, and I enjoy my quest so really try to get on it whenever I can just to say howdy (huge plus, the people are really great, helpful, entertaining, but there are major performance tradeoffs and a lot of immsersiveness just flat out being removed to run on the limited hardware. If you had laid out $400US on a quest already then pick it up sure, there’s not much like it on the platform. Support the devs etc, but expect a fairly early access feel and frequent patch rate title, and be OK with that. That’s a lot of money to throw down for 1 title.

Stability:
I’d say not super stable, as in there’s currently fairly frequent crashes (bank on 0-5 an evening, with some saying full reboots will reduce frequency etc), to the extent I don’t feel comfortable running things like shards (because they’re timed) as it is fairly inevitable that I’ll drop at some point if I’m on the quest and let the group down, and the restart process is significantly longer than PC… I still do it though :P. The consequence of a crash, and the voice comms consequence of having to restart are like a double kick in the nuts at times. PC is currently all but required for end game play I’d say… I know they’re working hard to dial in the quest experience though… voice is a priority, crashes are priorities. Stay tuned?

FPS
Performance-wise it’s fine, the FPS holds because the textures are reduced, the view distance is reduced (fog of war), and you can only see 10 other players, can’t see peoples’ mounts, or sometimes what they’re holding in their hands etc when they’re standing in front of you saying ‘look what I just got!’. So in a 5-10 man dungeon experience you can see everybody and it keeps up just fine and you can certainly play the game/do the stuff without significant graphic lag. In a public/overworld event you’ll only see a fraction of the players (and if they aren’t fully rendered you can’t hear them either, even if they’re standing in your face talking at you… which is sometimes a blessing)

PVP
I wouldn’t really PVP on it with the falloff on render distance because my ranger on PC can shoot a monster from way farther than my quest would even know a player is there, also when approaching players they are almost always blue ghosts for a good long while until it decides to render them in which feels like convenience-timing not a guarantee at any given distance, If others are around a player may never become visible (there are apparently changes in the works to prioritize who draws and who doesn’t, but it’ll be a challenge because your own group, pvp flagged players, etc etc, not sure how it will pan out)

Communication
I’d also expect voice to cut out fairly frequently (not really a quest thing, but it’s been worse on quest by some reports) frequently, and you have no real resolution to date, and no access to discord. The in game player population’s extreme reliance on discord means they may simply not invite you to content, or you may wind up being the deaf/mute in the group more often than not, so it’s certainly less stable in a social sense.

It has definitely improved. I still play it on the quest because I enjoy the quest, and Orbus as a game, but if I was to have jumped on it on quest first I’d probably have a sour taste… however knowing the game already from PC and being along for the ride as the quest experience is brought up to snuff has been OK

4 Likes

Depends on what you mean by stable I suppose. I did exactly what youre contemplating.
The game and quest are able to be played. I crash on occasion and lose tracking of my hands frequently.
If you put in long sessions you’ll have to be plugged in and charging as the battery life is exceptionally short, especially in orbus.
You also can’t use discord and play orbus at same time on the quest which is a big issue because the in game voice chat bugs out constantly and you can very rarely hear your group or guild mates for long.
Some of the classes often just stop working mid combat (shaman) and there’s a fix they’re working on coming out soon (they’ve been saying for over 2 months now).
If you don’t have your heart set on playing a runemage I would probably pass and wait for a better system and a better version of the game or even a better vr mmorpg altogether.
All that said the game is pretty neat and kinda cool to experience and a vr mmorpg has been a dream of mine (and many others) since .hack and while I don’t regret my decision to jump in now, it certainly hasn’t been an experience I can, in good conscience, recommend at this time, though I also wouldn’t say it’s definitely not worth it either.
Also note the quest has some other non orbus related issues like eye adjustment and such. If you can try it before you buy I’d definitely do that first. Hope this helps whichever way you decide to go.

2 Likes

…now if we skip the standards quest setup, get ALVR and stream the steam version of orbus, your getting more or less a vive pro that is wireless. Great resolution, full game just like pc, (because it is pc streamed with about 60 ms aditional delay).

Do get a 3.1A speed charger for this setup, or it’s 1h playtime…

I have played on both Quest and Rift and it runs better on the Rift, but I find it very playable on the quest. I feel just a hair slower on the Quest and also other players show up as balls of blue light until you get close to them on the quest which might be a factor if you world pvp a lot. I have also talked to a fair number of players that play on the Quest and have fun.

I’ve tried it on virtual desktop through steam, definitely some additional latency but pretty doable though I wouldn’t recommend runemage or anything that requires physical accuracy (warrior, scoundrel, runemage) probably

Virtual desctop was up at 230ms latency when I tested it with steam games. Quite noticeable difference.
(Before oculus shut that down)

oh nice didn’t realize ALVR was that much quicker, and still looks good? Will try it out

Thanks everyone.

Re bugs: this I can understand; it wouldn’t stop me from purchasing a Quest as long as they can be fixed.

Re performance: this is really worrying. If the amount of people you can see is limited and so is the distance at which you can see other players, you’ll be heavily disadvantaged in PvP. It would be great if we could get word from the developers on if this is something they can fix.

There is a limit of 10 people you can see max, but they did mention on making priority pre loadings, I think it was for party members and PvP. (Aka see everyone always in battlegrounds)

1 Like

I´m not into endgame yet…but for “normal” gaming, leveling, also dungeons I didn´t have any big problems and I don´t feel disadvantaged at that stage…
If it crashes it mostly crashes at the beginning of a session, sometimes have to start the game again two or three times but then its running stable.

I have both the Rift and the Quest now and looking at gameplay I have the same experience and fun on both devices…I like the unthetered more though
Having both I have the advantage to be able to go on on the Rift if the battery is low on the Quest with just a small pause.
Also playing with my son with Rift and Quest is big fun!! :slight_smile:

Soon (at least I plan) to reach lvl 30 on the first class and will try endgame…I can report then if anyone is interested…

BTW I also had quite frequently crashes on Rift lately…so I don´t have the impression that crashes are mainly due to the Quest…

If you want to go to endgame on a quest make sure you have a backup set for discord. Quest does not have native access to discord because it can only do the oculus stuff.

I thought I go with my mobile phone and 1 ear plug with mic…is that not feasible? Haven´t tried yet, as said…

I don’t have a quest but I am sure it would work.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.