Elemental Affinity + Icelance

This was brought up previously by Talemnar a long time ago (June 2018), but there is an issue with the Affinity buff from fireball when paired with a frosted icelance.

The first tick of damage from icelance is the non-frosted damage number from an icelance against a frosted enemy, and that takes up the affinity boost from fireball. This results in a 3% overall damage increase for a frosted icelance compared to a 10ish% increase of any other following impact spell.

Realistically I don’t think there should be two damage numbers from a frosted icelance, it should just simply increase the damage of the attack. The numbers appear at nearly the same instant, so adding a quick check before applying, boosting, and displaying the damage number shouldn’t be an issue either way.

3 Likes

This is basically the same bug as Bug DoT damage stealing charged strikes affix critting right? Essentially the charged strikes buff will tick on the first tick of a DoT or ray spell and then use up the charge?

It sounds strange that Ice Lance has two different hits as 1 spell. I don’t think fixing the DoT bug will automatically fix this problem. I thought Ice Lance hitting twice was fixed in the old game because it was causing M tiles to proc without being intentional? (2 hits per second tile).

Also about the DoT bug, the DoT can steal the Charged Strikes the first time that Charged Strikes will be available. So not just on the first Tick itself. But the first tick after it is available (a.k.a. when the 9th hit has been done with a normal attack). Which can be on any tick of the DoT if the DoT was ticking prior.

Not quite. When a frosted ice lance attack hits, two different damage numbers show up. The first damage number that comes after the elemental affinity fireball buff consumes the buff, however in the case of icelance, that number is the basic icelance damage and not the frosted damage because it comes “before” the frosted damage, despite the fact that it appears at the same time. The main issue is that icelance has two damage numbers that show up when the target is frosted rather than compiling them both into one number and having it be boosted.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.