FAQ Menu Tips/Ideas

We are working on adding a new information section to the player menu where you can view all the tutorial image pop ups at any time, along with a FAQ section to go over “out of character” type interactions like: how to add a friend, how to trade with other players, joining a dungeon queue, etc.

We already have a good list of them going, but wanted to make sure there wasn’t an odd thing I take for granted people will know that would help out new players. So looking for some feedback from the community, old and new, on some things that would of helped out knowing right off the bat.

Just to be clear, the combat class information of how to play your actual class or class mechanics will stay in the journal (we are updating these pages also), so I am only looking for what information new players need to know on the menu type interactions.

• Reminder to mine herbs multiple times with the pick axe.
  • how to make tiles
  • how to brew potions
  • where to make tiles
  • where to brew potions
  • using the auction house (buying and selling)
  • finding teleport stones
  • creating portals (semi class related)
  • using the compass correctly

kind-of-related: For the main story quest, can you have a sort of perma-indicator as to where to go for the next part of the story?

Thanks,

Some players weren’t spawning with either the fishing pole, net gun, or pickaxe while others were. There either needs to be consistency or explain where to get them. A lot of players were confused on how to do gathering and cc quests without the proper item. Also where to get mounts

• How pvp works (safe zones, party members, etc…) - this info was on the server but I don’t think I saw it in game. May be better for a journal page if it’s not already one (I didn’t look for it)
  • How to critter capture
  • How to activate specials
  • How to activate the zoom function for faraway enemies
  • Maybe a FAQ list in menu that includes the graphical fixes (orbus in front / switch on and off ultra), amongst any other common ones
1 Like
  • How to get the fishing pole to stay in your hand.

How to get lore quests and what they are. The upper right corner icon isn’t super obvious.

No players should be spawning with any of those items besides the pick axe if its a new character so well double check that

Thankfully this should be fixed for the next Beta test (knock on wood)

1 Like

will we get more of the cartoonish image tutorials in the full release, they are a fun little addition

People spawning with the items was just our characters transferring with them

Not true. Alts of friends were spawning with random ones

One thing i kinda think is a must is to show what level main quests are in the journal. A few times i have traveled far to a quest only to realize its higher level than i can handle. Was kinda annoying wasting all that time. Missions have them but i dont see it for quests. Overall i think quest descriptions should be a bit more specific. I dont want my hand held but just a bit more sense of direction would make it less frustrating.

How to get the fishing pole to stay in your hand without constantly holding grip buttons.

I still do not know how to get additional maps for other zones.

They aren’t in the game yet. But you can find them online on the forum. I recently posted a static one and Alphabet posted an interactive one.

Edit: this thread - Fish Location (Including Kylakin/Jilmery), Boss Mechanics, Critter Capture, Herb Locations

Part of what I think some of us take for granted is that many of us are responding with an experience in using or at least are familiar with how to operate a VR system and the world of gaming in general. I know there is not enough time to create everything but the tutorial in Lone Echo is something that I would recommend in which basic actions in Orbus should be explained and how those actions translate in VR. Here are my thoughts on the basics:

1. Menu access (button or the SAO option) - make obvious the on-demand help section
  2. Movement options
  3. How to interact with objects from weapon to loot to equipment / belt items (in this order)
  4. Journal Access - how and when to use it
  5. Communication - mute self, mute others, party coms, joining or looking for party - Encourage building and making connections in the community and this is would be agood time to make the community guide lines known!!!
  6. Purpose (do not assume everyone understands the basics of a game and knows to gain xp, ask for missions, complete “x” for the quickest way to lvl or earn “stuff”, *define end game content and why I should make it to lvl 30!!) - as a character in Orbus what is my objective. Where do I start? How do I achieve my goal? What do I do when I am done or what is next?
  7. Explain equipment types for each class and what the stats mean or do for my character. Do I keep it or break it down? Explain the stats of the character and what I should prioritize if I want to be a better tank, healer, dps’er.
  8. Other stuff -
    Auction house, potions (plz explain what they do and why or when I should use them), tilesets, earn dram, etc.

Explain basic terms!!
DPS
Support
Tank
Party vs Raid Group
XP
Stamina
Mobs - (pictures of monsters to help identify would be great)

Some of this does not need a tutorial except maybe 1 through 5 and maybe 6 but all of it should, in my opinion, be accessible in the game menu or journal.

3 Likes

You mean the health bar zoom? This feature does not appear to be working for me :sweat: . Maybe i need that guide.

3 Likes

A basic explanation on how the runemage spell detection works. Especially how you tilt your head affects it. I’ve seen so many complaints about how “bad” the runemage system is when in reality they just didn’t know to look straight ahead and were instead looking down at the spell they were drawing, throwing of the spell detection.

ops didn’t read that at first, but this is still an important thing you need to have on the journal page for runemage so I’m gonna leave it here.

3 Likes

I wanted to add one more. This is not specifically a mechanic but I do think it needs to be explained. The Dungeon / Monster Scaling.
The +4/-4 to levels is a bit confusing to me and is possibly like that to others in the game as well, new or old. I made a longer comment about this in a previous post but a quick explanation in game of how this system works would hopefully help alleviate confusion with the “perception” of not getting more powerful as one levels.
Having it somewhere in the journal likely will not help much but at least we can tell people to reference the journal to find that information if they have questions about it.

A basic explanation on how the runemage spell detection works. Especially how you tilt your head affects it. I’ve seen so many complaints about how “bad” the runemage system is when in reality they just didn’t know to look straight ahead and were instead looking down at the spell they were drawing, throwing of the spell detection.

Seriously. I never realized this until 3 weeks in. That would’ve made things so much easier.

A bit off-topic… Maybe I should move this to the runemage feedback thread.

I actually have considered putting a small mark on my headset to ensure i constantly keep my arm position in relation to my head… Although by this point I don’t need to after playing mage for over a year now…It seems kind of silly that I have to do that though. I would like to be able to look away and cast and not require that I move my head and body like a robot when i am casting :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.