Hitting people in face with affliction results in no affliction

I don’t know if other mages have experienced this but, when I use an affliction in PvP BGs and I see my affliction hit the player, sometimes nothing happens at all and the affliction is never applied to the player…

I thought it could be a shield or hammer but then I see it happening to other classes too.

Does anyone know why this occurs?

I think it’s the server delay causing it. Your local client calls a hit, checks with server, server says player is someplace else = Miss
But the spell is already stopped localy by the hit and is just gone.

Oposit can happen as well, where spells you dodge count as a hit.

Is I do a lot of smal jumps forward towards a mage spells I jump past seem to just disappear, probably because my dodge trumpet the hit on the server time, yet the delay will make it a hit for the other player

1 Like

I get it nearly all the time… I have to spam afflictions sometimes just to get 1 hit on.

I noticed this with my arrows, I will hit the target on my screen but they wont take damage

I can understand spells or arrows not visually hitting players when they are viewing the spells… But the other way around just really is not acceptable for any real PvP honestly…

If I was to bucket this bug (assuming it is actually a bug and not my own ignorance to some spell I am forgetting about) I would mark this as critical.

I have definitely seen this both ways as a mage, I have hit targets with affliction and sometimes it doesn’t work
And i have had afflictions miss me and be applied, also had them hit me and not be applied

Would make sense that it’s a latency thing? I play from Australia so I don’t think my ping can be trusted too much :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had this issue with Scoundrel in BG and open world. The amount of times I’ve hit/not hit Shiki as he bounces around is too high!

I think you’re talking about “favor the shooter” hit resolution, which seems ill-suited for this combat style. Having to predict where someone will go and when they’ll be low on stamina or stuck after a teleport is the biggest skill in PVP.

This is, however, a huge problem for mages. Leaving them without a fix wouldn’t be fair.

I guess this is the downside for making spells client side. Its not really working in pvp, as the delay is probably 500ms or more between the players. Every turn of the spell makes the offset worse, and hits don’t count.

I guess it would be fixed if you made spell start client side, but then forced it to synk with the server, or it became fully server side, but directed with a delay from the mage.
Having a delay on directing the spell would probably be fine for most mages, as you can think ahead where you want it to go, and cut the difference between clients in half.

Sure US players would get a advantage but they always do anyway.

It’s possible it’s caused by a delay issue, or it’s possible it’s a bug or something else going on. Do you have some video examples of it I can look at?

I would expect it to be a delay issue if the person you are hitting is teleporting pretty far from where you hit them at like very soon (like more than 2 meters within half a second or something). If they are just standing there or not moving much and it’s still not counting it that would strike me as a bug and not anything to do with a delay.

Everyone is constantly moving in pvp @Riley_D
There is a lot of strange stuff going on to hit sliding jumping and spinning people, (roomplace spin) hitboxes are hit, but don’t count, and you can hit places almost 1 second after they teleport.

I guess we could record a video from the perspective of the mage, and the perspective of the target. They spells and player possition verry by a lot.

The spells not showing up in the correct place from the perspective of the target is not really related to this issue and is something we’re still working on. So if the report were “It looks like a mage missed me with a spell and I still took damage” then I would be sure it were that issue.

However, from the perspective of the firing mage, if you see your spell hit someone I would expect them to take damage unless they teleported out of the way right before you hit them. At that point it’s nothing to do with the position of the spell, it’s that your view of where the other player is, is slightly out of date. So that’s why I’m asking to see some examples, to determine if that’s what’s going on, or if it’s something else. Also that wouldn’t be a mage-specific issue, it would affect any class which fires projectiles.

It seems to me that a spell projectile shouldn’t despawn unless the server and the caster agree it hit something. That might be a inconsistency that you’re not tracking yet and possibly a big one for PVP.

I dont have a video but I can give you a story:

action: When I cast an affliction and direct it at a player I see that it hits the enemy player.
expected behaviour: I would expect that the affliction would be ticking on the enemy player.
actual behaviour: The affliction debuff cannot be seen on the enemy player and the debuff does also not tick.

Yeah, I mean Runemage spells are just really hard to do in general with the way we did them as a mechanic. With any other projectile, we know immediately from the time you fire it exactly what path it is going to take, and we can show that to all other clients 100% accurately (and of course the server knows as well).

If I fire an arrow and it looks to me like the arrow hit someone, but they had actually teleported away before it hit them from the server’s perspective, you just see them take no damage. If the same thing happens for a spell, then they take no damage and the spell blows up…so if we want to fix that the only options are either a) make it so that the spell doesn’t blow up until the server says it did, thereby introducing a delay between you seeing a spell hit something and you actually seeing an explosion, or b) I guess we “resurrect” the spell or something and let it keep flying around? Which seems like a terrible idea.

But again, this is why I don’t want to jump to conclusions, because this behaviour affects all classes to some degree, not just mages. And it’s entirely possible there is another bug causing it (like, maybe there is a collider on the other player the spell is hitting that isn’t counting for some reason), since the server does have some degree of “leniency” with the whole movement thing – a small movement like sliding or teleporting a short distance shouldn’t cause you to miss. So I think we should compile some examples of it happening so I can analyze what’s going on.

I think this would be the best solution, even with the delay. Regardless of anything mage specific, though, something more fundamental seems to be at issue. Based on what I keep hearing from other PVP folks, I think a solid explanation of how hit resolution takes place would be valuable for the community.

Having tested rushing a lot I can tell you that if you micro manage, and just teleport past a spell at the last possible second, the spell disappears.
I’m guessing it’s seen as a hit for the other player.

1 Like

yes… That would explain why i see this behaviour a lot more on paladins…

Immunity of projectile damage basically when taking baby steps lol.

To be fair I am dodging them on my side. Its not that simple :smile:

Did they ever fix the Paladin Hammer blocking projectiles?