Level Scaled Over-world Thoughts

It has been a few months since launch and I was curious if the level scaling is working the way the devs intended with regards to the over-world monsters and the thoughts of the community on this topic?

I doubt that the dev’s will change the level scaling back to how the old game was built but from my perspective I don’t think it is having the intended results, mainly increase in random groups and leveled players forming groups to complete quests.

I will say I like the leveled dungeons. It can be fun running / teaching new players. To increase participation in raids, has it been considered that the raids have a scaled option when you que for a dungeon. There would need to be level requirements say level 11? The dungeon giving the same gear and do as normal dungeons.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure their intention was to make higher level players play with lower level players. The exact opposite has happened. I used to be happy to help any low level any time they asked, but now if a low level asks me to help them with anything besides teaching them how to mage, it just feels like a chore. When a low level in OG asked me to help them with the first dungeon I would do it every single time, and it made me happy that I could help people out, but now that all the dungeons are level scaled, when a low level asks me to help them out I tell them to find a group. Level scaling took a lot away from the social interaction between low levels and high levels :confused:

Edit: Just wanted to add in that no one asked for level scaling. We actually said that it was a bad idea when we found about it.

10 Likes

On top of what Sift said, i would like to add that the level scaling increased the requirement to find a full group for activities as a result. This is particularly taxing on low level players in a low population game.

7 Likes

Imho and at least for me with level scale one of the big rewards of the game is gone!
In OG I leveled, I got better gear …and with that I felt stronger, I WAS STRONGER!
I thought that is what a RPG is about, getting stronger!?
It was very rewarding to kill a redtail with one arrow from a distance!
That was what I did the grinding for.

That was also the motivation to explore the world! Find stronger foes.

Now its just like:" What the heck?? I’m lvl 30 and it takes ages to kill that tree just out of highsteppe!" :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Why should I explore the world if I could get killed by the tree in my front porch if I want to? :crazy_face:

PS: I bet that a lot of new players are not aware of level scale and are frustrated because they leveled up a couple of times and don’t feel any stronger!

6 Likes

Yep. This. For dungeons levelscaling is awesome imo, for the overworld, nope. I helped way more people in the OG with quests and now it often was sorry dude the poison ticks too hard/group is too strong, we need more people.

And nothing is more sucky and annoying than being chased by green mobs in a starter area or cave while farming, fearing for your life; and that with the nearly BEST gear and weapon in the game. Every time it takes me countless shots to bring something in the overworld down, or once I gotta leash 2 mobs, I ponder why we even farmed highlevel gear.
In the OG you just nuked mobs, in most areas, and carry on with farming, in Reborn I am overly busy with leashing mobs to avoid lengthy fights.

4 Likes

After having played Reborn for about a month now, on top of the first 3-4 betas, I have come to the conclusion, same as everyone else, that the scaled leveling was a bad idea.

It makes every zone feel the same even more than the very similar landscapes. No matter where you go, you’re fighting enemies that are more-or-less the same difficulty, unless you manage to find some unscaled mobs. I’m fine with level scaling in queued dungeons, but that’s how it should have stayed (Like preborn when the dungeon queuing update came out). I think the devs should at least consider removing level scaling, maybe even trying it out for a week or something? I know it’s not hard to remove level scaling as unscaled mobs already exist in the world.

EDIT: Some of my fondest memories of Orbus in Preborn was when I was roaming around the world on my warrior at level 5, and coming across some “difficult” elite mobs. I felt SO accomplished killing them.
After returning to the mobs, I was able to kill them so much easier, and it definitely made it feel like I progressed a lot and got way stronger. Another of my more fond memories is when a level 20 (Zom) followed me through my first portal I ever made, and decided to power level me in the desert (while I was under the level to be there).

8 Likes

I also think that one of the largest complaints I’ve seen/heard from new players is that things are hard to kill and never really get easier. They pick up the V. Stafrages quest and can’t kill it on-level, sometimes not even with a group of one or two more on-level players, and then still can’t kill it when they’re double level.

It’s very frustrating for everyone involved and, as was mentioned above, leads not to those of us who are higher level helping them out but to us saying, “nah, that would be too much trouble”.

I think dungeons scaling is good, but otherwise none of it is

2 Likes

I was not familiar with / did not have experiences with nor prejudice against level scaling, so experiencing it here was my first. To capture my perspective,

With OG, I had no problems / issues / complaints myself with how enemies were. I died a couple times to that tutorial red tail, I died a ton by those beginner king stags, and we needed like 3 people to tackle Cenn’s Farm red tails, don’t even mention going down the stairs yet! While that was a clear indicator to me “tuned for group content / better keep practicing till you get it right,” I do know of many that felt OG initially too hard and demanding. At least once Cenn’s Farm redtails became yellow or green, we knew it was time to venture down those stairs (I absolutely loved being able to see down the slope from Highsteppe). It did feel really nice, leveling up, getting noticeably stronger, being able to jump in and save from a distance / nearly last second a lower level player. I only leveled runemage, took me about 4 months to get to 20 (because I’m a lollygagger), and I enjoyed every moment of the journey. The fear of that stronger pocket of Almas/Infested Sprites in Narrow Orchard, getting eaten alive by Armored Wargs visualization of panic hopping the Wenderwood fence / stone gate and just that first OMFG moment of the spiders in Green Lady Forest. We traveled (airship travel safe travel! Loved the view! Wish we could have walked around the ship deck someday, and oooooo my reaction at my first glimpse of the Burning Forest from the airship!!! I looked forward to becoming strong enough to go there!) we ventured (sneaking as far as we could, scouting the area, hopefully returning with a big enough group, being level 5 and “raiding” the cactaur in the desert with like 15 other lowbies and two level-appropriate players), we quested (and sometimes had to level more to get past some fights, thank you side quest xp) we died repeatedly (WHERE AM I NOW? death is the next great adventure!), we tried again and again, and we got stronger - finally completing that mission, that milestone, and it was a milestone passed. (Compared to now, the struggle forever as if nothing is different, not even 10 levels later… but does this merit this level of difficulty? Forever? Some things, sure, but literally everything? Well, minus a couple packs of unmatched mobs, but those are few and far between. I think I can name one around Highsteppe, and uh…). I remember trying for an entire evening with a group of four and failing the donkey cart. Next day, we were able to gather a whole army, probably 20 of us (we seriously scoured the towns for people), and it was nice to watch that number decrease as our levels got higher. Who didn’t stop to help a group passing if we knew they would be too low or too few? Also went with a whole army to Snake Battlefield xD which felt so nice to be able to solo farm later, and how many lower levels did we help while we were coincidentally already there? Met this hilarious RPing guy there once.
So while the difficulty of OG mobs and group tuning didn’t deter everyone (me or anyone else that made it to endgame) it did turn away many. As we all saw, especially new people when the waves of players who all leveled together were already 20. We were hopping on, living in Guild City and running to Tradu or running to raids, or in full blown hibernation awaiting new content. Many would ask for a week in the discord trying to get a group for first dungeon until a 20 or couple upper levels could run that person through. There was indeed a big problem with retention when numbers didn’t support some of those people coming up, and we got super scarce once Reborn was announced and we knew we were gonna sit tight for a while after raids.
Defend the Realm brought the first scaling so everyone could participate for points on the kill part, and it wasn’t bad. Even better that those monsters would be spread about newb areas, but still confined to a pocket. Killing things in Wenderwood (anyone else remember that Migo kelpie sauntering around like it owned the place? xD) I met someone who’d logged in his second day to play. He helped me kill the DtR stuff, which thankfully he could with it being scaled, and then I helped him survive those armored wargs. I effectively let him fight, but I stood ready to one shot any additional mobs that may aggro, or one that spawned after the howl, and nuked whatever when his health turned red. We played for hours. It was great having that to have various levels mingle like we didn’t before - I met a good bit of new friends that way. DtR was pretty great in that it brought people together to help each other, killing and resource farming.
With the OG scaled dungeons, it felt a bit of a shock at first, we missed farming, but it worked out for the most part.
With Reborn scaling, I’m glad it was tweaked to how it is now (compared to its first beta), and I’ve tried paying careful attention to how I feel, starting as a level 1 shaman and working my way up. It is surprisingly difficult to help others or receive help, because unless someone is a super fancy top tier player, numbers of the group is mostly what matters. Even being 20+ and helping a newb “level appropriate” for Highsteppe trying to get through Sarrows Cave, after several attempts I had to call for back up, and about 30 minutes later backup came (it was about 6am my time, my new friend and both back ups called being European players). No matter what level, no matter where we go, a small group needs a superior skilled person (top 10% best of the best) or we need the numbers. I’m one person who doesn’t complain about “group tuning” since I expect that with an MMORPG (and I am available to play when there’s the highest amount of players online), so okay fine with that grit for progression, but then to go back home to Highsteppe and it’s hardly different. Everything is green, thankfully the aggro radius smaller so alone I can still traverse pretty alright, but my lower level friend is pulling everything, so it’s either try to leash constantly or, well, with two of us maybe we’ll survive. Damn, he died. I either leashed, died too, or maybe survived. Pretty even 1/3 chance for those. Okay, there’s 3 of us now… better chances for survival, better, but semi regularly at least one of us will die, especially if we aren’t playing with a tank and one of us is trying to keep the aggro focus. I’m sure we’ll get better at dodging and whatnot eventually to reach “superior skill level” to be already level 20- something but not skilled enough yet to assist a low level surviving in Highsteppe, and not around the tougher pack mobs, but the green ones. A level 6, and two level 20-somethings. Struggling. With green. It’s still weird.
The OG problems of new players between the big waves did need to be addressed, but I suspect Reborn can address that already with unmatched mobs being the heavy majority and matched mobs being scarce-to-practically-nonexistent. For starters, we’re all based in Highsteppe now anyway - opportunity to mingle. The dungeon queue being scaled has seemed to work out great so far. For a newer player only available during low population times we have other ways to level up alone now. So, if you keep dying out in the overworld and can’t find a group to help, don’t wanna keep dying, level up by dragon racing or critter capture or fishing or… and go try again. (Or with weekly/daily kill quests for xp against non-scaled, maybe even green mobs, but still quest xp and more killing practice to then level up and successfully kill what was prior failed alone). Progression with less frustration, progression with a way forward. Reborn has it.
I am super excited for the Harvest Festival and really hope events like that can be constructed similarly to Defend the Realm. Let anything related to the community events be scaled and have us band together to need each other, to accomplish a community goal.

In summation, I fully supported the idea and reasoning behind Reborn’s level scaling, and after giving it an open minded try, I myself do wish to see overworld level scaling completely lifted with maybe teensy scaled pockets guarding something super special. No personal issue with dungeon queue being scaled. No issue with community events being scaled so everyone can participate. But overworld itself… please remove. The problems of OG for new lower levels finding groups for dungeons, questing, or leveling up alone have been addressed elsewhere with Reborn (Highsteppe our center, multiple ways to level not requiring others, weeklies and dailies, scaled dungeon queue) and I do believe it will be adequate.

7 Likes

I do really enjoy the dungeon scaling but I dislike the overworld scaling. There is not that feeling of “hey I’m getting stronger”. Which I think is a very important thing for any game.

4 Likes

there is still some of that feeling in the game, not as much in the old game for sure, but it exists

It only exists in a few spots, and for it to exist on the rest of the mobs, you need to have full end game gear. As a fresh level 30 mage, you should be able to one shot the FIRST enemies you ever come into contact with, that’s just my opinion. I’ve never one-shotted a scaled mob before, and I have a legendary 30+3 wand. I would one shot shit all the time in preborn, and it felt so good. Now, mind you, being able to one shot things isn’t the only reason for having unscaled mobs everywhere. Say you have to do something in a certain area, but the enemies are too hard for you to kill at the moment. What do you do? You go level up once or twice, and come back. Currently, with the way level scaling works, you’d have to level up way more than just once or twice to be able to make things a little easier (because of the way scaling works). Now of course, this situation may not happen to you because you’re a veteran player, but think about a sprout player.

5 Likes

In og I really enjoyed seeing a lower lvl player running for their life and being able to jump in to be a hero with a one shot kill. In reborn I’ve tried to save new players and I fail most of the time.

4 Likes

Idk what a lollygagger is but believe it or not, it took me initially also months xD

3 Likes

I loved how long it took to level. It’s way to easy now once you have one lvl 30 to just pump xp into classes and never play them.

2 Likes

Level scaling and dailies are pretty much starting to kill this game for me. I really wish they had more questlines to follow that made you explore the world or side quests. I spend most of my time at this point sitting around in game trying to get a shard group together with little to no success. If not I mostly just do critter capture everyday and dump xp into classes I dont have to learn how to play. Level scaling makes it feel like you are never progressing and doesnt really encourage high levels to quest with low levels. Maybe if overworld xp was worth something people would but that’s another issue…

5 Likes

you could 1 shot a red tail at level 15 in OG :man_shrugging: always felt pretty good to destroy the things that once killed you over and over

8 Likes

@Airis said already everything in her wonderful post but I want to emphasize once more that I think its motivating to “look up” to someone stronger! It raises the wish to become as strong!

I know it was made to accomplish that very low and very high levels can play together and feel equally important…
…but I for myself, as a low level, would not expect that I’m on the same level! I would just think that it is very weird that this fully fletched lvl 30 char who jumped in to help me with this mob I accidentally pulled in the beginner zone…is dying!
…wait a minute…I will not be able to handle a mob in the beginner zone even as lvl 30? :thinking:

I fully agree that the scaling has a good place in dungeons, public events… but like the others I would definitely second to minimize (or eliminate) it in the over world!

6 Likes

@Riley_D @Robert
Riley Quote from a locked thread on this topic:
The goal with the dynamic scaling is to make it so that everyone in the game can do most overworld activities together. This is really, really important for the longevity of the game. One of the biggest lessons we learned in the original OrbusVR is that we need a setup so that a Level 15 and a Level 2 can play together in a positive way that’s beneficial for both of them in a good chunk of the game.

There will be plenty of opportunities in end-game content such as shard dungeons and raids to get the feeling of increasing power as those will not be level scaled. So you will get to a point where you can easily do a Shard 1 dungeon where before it was very difficult, just like now.

With all of that in mind, if folks have a different idea that allows us to keep the entire community playing together in the overworld, that isn’t this system, or tweaks to this system, I’m definitely receptive. We didn’t just arbitrarily put this system into place, there are goals for the game that we are trying to achieve; I think the whole community benefits from a game that is better able to attract and retain new players.

——————————————————————
@Riley_D I mainly made this post because of the concern about player retention. After a few months of play I believe the consensus is that the scaling being applied to the main part of the game is not having the desired results. In my opinion, and I do not believe that I am alone based on talks I have with newer and older players and this post, the scaling of the over world is making it harder to retain players which can lead to arguments about not being able to que for dungeons or get enough people together for raids (a concern for many, if not all, end game players).

I would like to ask if the dev team is seeing or hearing a different view than that being expressed with this post? Or if the opinion of the developers is that the scaling is helping in designing content which makes the game more accessible to everyone and therefore you would like to keep the scaling until more content is released?

I believe the ability to level with the new missions and events almost without going to far out of Highsteppe also negates another reason for implementing the over world scaling.

Y’all have done a great job with a variety of things to do, but again there seems to be something missing at least in comparison to the old game and I believe it maybe the scaling.

Thanks for all of your hard work dev’s and thanks for listening to the community.

10 Likes

Also I would like to add more variety of mobs, but that’s a separate issue

2 Likes

We were just talking about this the other day. I don’t know that it’s useful to necessarily pick one specific thing out of the whole host of changes we made, but looking at all of them as a whole (e.g. level scaled overworld, level scaled dungeons, decreasing time it took to level up to max level, adding dungeon group finder, adding missions system vs. long-form MSQ, etc.) I think in some ways we’ve succeeded and in others it hasn’t worked out as we had thought it would. Of course, it’s also fair to say that there were things about the original game that didn’t work out how we had thought they would, either, haha.

I think in general we have seen a higher percentage of the population reach max level, and based on statistics around things such as monthly active users (which is very different from concurrent users), more people are still engaged with and playing the game 3 months post-launch than were in the original game. So in that way the changes have been successful.

However, at the same time, I do agree that some of the changes to the overworld have left the game feeling less like a traditional MMO and more like a spoke-and-hub game and that’s not really what we wanted to do. Some of that is due to the design decisions we made, some of it is the way that people have chosen to…use loopholes in the way we implemented things to use it in a way that makes it easier to do but also in the long run less fun. In particular the fact that no one really has to venture far to the four corners of the realm anymore is not what we wanted or intended. And although we did add some mechanics in to the game to preserve the power fantasy of the overworld, I think it’s fair to say they have not worked well, so that’s another issue.

At any rate, we are examining all of these things as we consider what we are going to do in terms of the long-term future of the game. I don’t think we’re going to make any drastic changes in the near future, but the next “phase” of the game will likely see some changes to these systems.

12 Likes