Make fishing fun again (Patched :-) )

My main points:

• Fishing should be relaxing
  • should not be to time-consuming
  • Bugs should be forgiving

Right now fishing is a stressful linesnaping time-consuming torture. I need to fight for every fish, any bug will make my line snap, and even some catches will breaks my lure for no reason.

Suggested fixes:
fully remove struggling fish, and fish movement of none legendary fish.

Or /and

Greatly reduce possible movement on all fishes/ have them only pull away when close to the shore.

Reasoning:
The current tactic of letting it escape into the oposit wall to get caught is stupid, and even struggling with a fish should make it slowly come closer and not farther and farther away. Players should not be punished for tossing far other then a slightly longer reel time.
Current system makes it flee quite far just in the server delay time making it instantly jump 5-20m back. Its stupid, and frustrating.

Sugestion 2
Make linesnap only remove a part of the durability.

Reasoning:
90% of the time the line snaps its caused by a bug for me, and probably most other players. Desynk, line not updating, snapping after catch the fish, and so on. Its extreamly unforgiving and verry frustrating. Reducing the penalty for bugs would make it s lot more bearable.

Sugestion 3
Add some calming music when fishing.

7 Likes

First, I do see the red line now and it rarely snaps since the fix. It is likely different and harder with rare fish, I only fished the lower and quest ones, so far.

The one main issue I got with fishing is that it still seems to require a very high amount of reeling, no matter what (Burnators point: it is NOT relaxing, at all). Every fish is a fight.

After less than 20mins my shoulder starts aching now and this is clearly different than in the original game. I used to watch animes and go for one or two rounds of 20mins (fishing potions) per day, now it became exhausting and I struggle to finish one.

I have 150 str/int on my weapon, taking an aged str potion to fish, fishing with the forged (second-best) lure.
It should not require that much sweat n tears to fish some catfish, not even to speak of the rare ones which likely additionally skip around like Burn described.

PS: And to add to this before people jump in oooh for me it’s still easy and yadayadayada I KNOW most guys could fish for an hour before, easily, which I never could. Perhaps think a bit about people not having your (physical) strength, which is not only a matter of gender, certainly, but of age, training etc. but gender sure adds to it and not just a bit -.-

PPS: I just had the bug Burn described, twice, once the lure snapped, once in the midst of fishing, half the lure is vanishing and only relog helped.

4 Likes

I disagree with this, fishing feels like it’s in a nice place for me.

You should note higher strength reduces the amount a fish struggles, that can help alot.

It would be nice if the old fishing gear worked so we had bonuses, equiping my old gear shows no change in stats.

Now i don’t know if it’s cause im colourblind but i rarely have lines snap and am pretty sure its my fault every time it does, i have to be really careful realing in as i can’t tell when it transitions to red well.
This also means i tend to spend longer reeling in as i can’t trust my eyes with the line.
Regardless of that i personally find fishing quite relaxing, less so when using potions as i want to maximize the fish i get. Gotta make sure you keep your muscles relaxed, you can reel fast and keep loose muscles.

To help with struggling fish i gauge how far i need to cast my line, i try and find the smallest average distance i can cast and usually catch a fish, and keep with that, less distance to reel in is less time for a fish to struggle away.

You should note higher strength reduces the amount a fish struggles, that can help alot.

It would be nice if the old fishing gear worked so we had bonuses, equiping my old gear shows no change in stats.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Anyone should be able to fish from level 1, not only those with 300+ extra strength.

Now i don’t know if it’s cause im colourblind but i rarely have lines snap and am pretty sure its my fault every time it does, i have to be really careful realing in as i can’t tell when it transitions to red well.

Of my time in orbus I have spent probably 100h fishing. I know a lot of bugs that will snap your lure. Having it drop 1/3 durability per bug would be a lot nicer.

This also means i tend to spend longer reeling in as i can’t trust my eyes with the line.
Regardless of that i personally find fishing quite relaxing, less so when using potions as i want to maximize the fish i get. Gotta make sure you keep your muscles relaxed, you can reel fast and keep loose muscles.

Have you tried fishing without fish attractor?

To help with struggling fish i gauge how far i need to cast my line, i try and find the smallest average distance i can cast and usually catch a fish, and keep with that, less distance to reel in is less time for a fish to struggle away.

This stil proves my point, you shouldn’t get that hard punishment for a long toss

4 Likes

Without fish attractor i reel slower as im not pressed for maximising my reel in count.

Risk vs reward, a long cast may have a longer reel in time if a fish bites right away, i can certainly understand not liking that, it is annoying when a fish bites immediately. I do sometimes give up on reeling a fish when that happens. I wouldn’t consider it a punishment though, more a consequence

Totally agree. The struggle getting a fish in is ridiculous and when failed you loose your lure. Ughhh. I’m skipping this as much as possible as it is not fun to do. Takes forever to get a couple of fishes landed.

5 Likes

Relax
When you’re ready to put down your weapon for the day, you’ve got plenty of options to kick back and relax. Grab your fishing pole and see what’s biting, or head back to your Player House to brew up a potion. Put your pet dragon through the paces at one of several dragon racing stations, or grab your net gun to capture some critters.
Or just catch up with your favorite adventurers over some rousing conversation in Highsteppe. You’ll find that in the world of Orbus, there’s always someone ready to spin a tall tale.

Relax
When you’re ready to put down your weapon for the day, you’ve got plenty of options to kick back and relax. Grab your fishing pole and see what’s biting

Actual quotes from the Orbus website. If many players, especially old orbus players or higher level players are saying that fishing is not as fun or relaxing then something needs to be fixed. There are others that find the current system fine but it is about relaxing. I might have fished in regular Orbus is the need for pots, lures with wilds parts, and needing to fish in the wilds for some fish, along with time fish and if it is raining. I don’t mind making and aging those pots, or even just buying them. PVP enabled areas were not relaxing at all for me. How can you be relaxed if you are fishing in the wilds and could be killed and loose all of your fish? Yes fishing is more relaxing now due to being able to get every fish with PVP off but as everyone is saying. Fishing should be relaxing/fun and that the bugs are aggravating and you loose your lure due to it. There should be more difficult fish but not to the point where inoptimall reeling causes the fish to sprint 5-20m back, or just because of a slight server dysinc.

As it is right now fishing is not very fun or relaxing for many players. I need these for potions and such. I could loose my lure easily, I might need pots other than fish scent attractor to get fish pulled in. Quote again from the Orbus website

When you’re ready to put down your weapon for the day, you’ve got plenty of options to kick back and relax. Grab your fishing pole and see what’s biting

But fighting mobs for a lot of players is much more fun and relaxing. When fighting mobs unless you have PVP on you only loose a bit of durability and not even on your weapon! You get gear drops so easily and you can turn that into dram or infuse possibly. Many mobs are scaled and you are therefore at almost zero risk when fighting a single enemy if you know what you are doing. It seems to be more relaxing as apposed to fishing so I will fix the quote.

When you’re ready to put down your fishing pole for the day, you’ve got plenty of options to kick back and relax. Grab your weapon and find something to fight.

5 Likes

I agree that overall fishing should be very relaxing, with perhaps the exception being if you are going after very rare fish. I will double-check to make sure that non-rare fish don’t have their strength set up high for some reason, and that fishing for normal fish goes faster.

5 Likes

Can you remove the struggling feature on the smaller fish?

7 Likes

Fish strength should be different than what it was in old orbus anyway; we had strength boosting fishing gear then. Or is the upgraded fishing pole comparable?

I honestly can’t tell the difference with the new rods, might wanna check them while you’re rechecking the fishing stuff

3 Likes

Slightly related, the eye worm is off-set on the table and when you grab it, so it’s in the wrong place, could you check it out and fix it please?

so you need to grab the open space to the left of the worm?

Yes, grabbing the worm will grab the shiny metal next to it

ok I added to our list thanks for reporting

2 Likes

I understand Rare fish should be harder but I tried catching Flounder and Jyalmirey with the second tier fishing rod and it was practically impossible, I couldn’t reel it in more than it would run away. I had an aged fish scent attractor and lvl 30 +150 strength, +150 intellect bow equipped I believe.

Is it supposed to be THAT hard or preferable can it be tuned down so its possible to catch?

1 Like

I don’t understand this, at all. It is a grind to get special lures, in the first place. And the major problem in the old game was to find those fish and be online at the right spots, at the right time.
I went fishing daily and there were very, very rare occassions when I was at the right spot, at the right time, finally, to get a flounder nibble for example. I dumped an additional fishing potion and then this darn spot stopped to be active after 4 catches, well…

Now if my lures would break, additionally, because the rares struggle like hell makin me loose even more time on a precious spot, then screw that, it’s left to no-lifers who got the time to check rare spots or wait for certain weather conditions, all day, to farm tons of lures etc.

And the rare fish are not any optional or cosmetic thing. As it looks they won’t be available for any reasonable prize on the market anytime soon and yet they are needed for a stack (10x) of potions which make a major difference in finishing higher-level dungeons or not.

4 Likes

If it helps at all I usually let go of the reel after the line gets red, then periodically reel a little and letting go until the line is white. This prevents non legendary fish from jumping away, and lowers line tension. Still, sunfish should not equal dwarf sharks in strength.

Many of these changes (including Strength scaling adjustments, not losing all durability on lures when your line snaps, and making non-rare fish easier to catch) are in today’s patch. Feel free to give feedback on the patch notes thread if you have further concerns after testing the adjustments.

6 Likes

One suggestion I just thought of would be a tug ability to stun fish while your line tension drops. Would make legendary fish more possible to catch.