Mine - Darkness Level

We did a couple mines today, again, alot of people I meet flatout hate that dungeon. Not only because it’s buggy and mobs need to be pampered and begged, for freakin’ minutes, until they dare surfacing from the deep and playing with us!!! (depending on group, some tanks finetuned how to bug-out the bugged mobs, but others just loose that shard).

My post is about the lightning though or rather, the absence of light. How come that the request of some people to have a more “immersive” environment was put over playability / health issues of so many others??
I talked to many in the last months after the change, seems the younger got less issues, but yea, me and others feel physically sick entering mines. The reason is, it’s literally pitch-black, on my headset (alot of quest users said same btw) and the flashes, be it from my own class, musky/shaman or others, if I don’t mute/disable them completely, is giving me a headache.

It physically hurts me to play this one dungeon, the mines, it’s a pain, every freakin time. And what exactly are we suffering this bs for, seriously? So a few players can get their "immersion " or what??? A mere convenience-request should never be put over playability and it’s definitly screwed for me and couple others I play with. I see nothing in mines, not the stalactites we are supposed to shoot, not the mobs, I orientate vaguely looking at health bars, all else is dark, it is just plain bs. I don’t even see the artwork as I could experience it in the first days of playing (and it was cool, actually…), now I see: nothing.

Also this lightning change was done just so, with neither providing a sticking mage spell - requested by so many! - nor providing a lamp which does anything. Actually I unequip this stupid crafted lantern since it makes the lightning so much worse and takes up the spot for health and luck potions if we do 15s .

Mine is currently a broken dungeon, imo, not only because of the ever-leashing and vanishing/falling down mobs in there, but also due to a very poor choice of environment. It was done just so, catering a certain portion of users - likely the younger ones and those on certain headsets - and it is hell since, for the others, just fyi.

PS: Spare your post if you think it is oh-so-fine on your headset - also, if you are in your 20s, did you know the 40-50y+ old only got 30% of your ability to see in the dark even in rl? Yup, that is the reason you don’t see the issue. Rather ask yourself would you get a headache if it was a lil’ bit brighter, like, really? Would it severly hurt your gameplay or detriment it? Well, there you go, other people get physically ill playing that content, catered to young people’s immersion wishes.

And I still think the darkness should hit the overworld caves already, where we can choose to go there or not, where all the immersion fans can farm as long as they like, not instanced content like BH or Mines I mean, wtf, what a stupid unnecessary change and the more time passes, the less understanding I got for this…

2 Likes

I was super surprised they made that lighting change without being sure to make the lantern reliable in that zone. When you use lanterns the light levels are all over the place and awful as you walk from inch to inch. I’m 39 and can manage somewhat ok without the lanter, but was the intention to turn the zone into an annoyance? I would have rolled back that change so fast after a test and seeing how badly the lighting system reacts in there.

EDIT

Decided to reiterate a post I made back in dec of 2019

1. The lantern has a ridiculously low illumination range and is not really effective at illumination. Strange as it seemed to be implemented for the exact thing that was being changed. The solution to this is that we can toss the lanterns around in dungeons and have them illuminate for the group were they land. That way they can be strategically tossed by all players to illuminated areas of engagement.

2. It is useless. As soon as you equip your weapon it disappears (on quite a few classes). What’s the point of even putting it together if we’re just going to have to fight in the dark and only have light when we walk. The solution in point 1 could make this better, but I’m not putting my weapon away every few seconds just to toss this thing out. That’s just annoying.
    After realizing point 2 I felt I had wasted my time entirely gathering the resources and putting it together. Who cares about a cosmetic lantern that has no utility in actual game gameplay?

2 Likes

Especially sucks when the big guys do their interruptible heal and then disappear and heal up when you can’t stop them :frowning:

1 Like

I made the lantern this week after all this time and I was shocked just how useless it actually was, I brought this up at the tavern with Daynab but I’ll say it again here on the forums as there are other devs too…

As a Ranger, I made this lantern to make it so I could see in the dark dungeons, I went in and as soon as I got my bow out, the light goes out, what is the point of me even making it? Did this get tested at all? It’s not just ranger that this happens on either… I was super disappointed by this and slightly annoyed that things are still being released without any real thought/testing being put into it…

The fact that the dungeons got made darker without the mage light being fixed is also ridiculous…

I was in some caves earlier with my newly made lantern while I was farming and I thought it would be nice if they added the darkness effect to the caves, hopefully they will address the uselessness of the lantern/mage light spell before then though cause if I were to argo something while farming (happens a lot) then I would once again be frustrated with a bad update

Incase you’re in need of ideas for fixing this, it could be done in either of these 2 ways, have it so the lantern can’t be interacted with once a weapon is pulled out. Or have it so it disappears like it does now, but the light that comes from the lantern still stays out

Increasing the illumination range like krunk said would be nice - not the brightness though, don’t increase that

3 Likes

Did everyone forget the “original mine” - Maeo’s Sanctum was completely dark? Not only with reduced light but completely dark.
And noone cared because:

1. at the entrance we conveniently had the torches we could carry with us (even if our mage couldn’t reliably cast the light spell sometimes…),
  2. and the boss rooms were lit anyway. It was killing the immersion a bit but i don’t remember anyone saying it shouldn’t be like that.

Seems like the devs forgot about these two “tiny” things when they accepted the idea of making some places dark.

2 Likes

Personally I like the dungeons being slightly more moody and dark compared to before. problem is if people are getting hurt from the constant flashing of mage spells and glitchy lighting problems then its not worth it. Its also not consistent between graphic settings so not to derail but an advanced graphics setting in general with this being one of the settings would be nice.

I use the lantern a lot but the issue is for ranger and bard once your weapons are out the lantern disappears and is now useless. It also doesn’t illuminate far enough to be able to see mobs in the dark (not sure if it is extended at all if it will help 30 meter ranger see anything). But for the love of my eyes please don’t make it brighter just illuminate at the same level for a longer distance.

^^like Shazul said torches is a big help^^

I also noticed during temple dungeon the lantern will glitch out and make the textures on the wall and floor start flashing extremely bright as you move. that’s not something I’ve consistently seen but its horrible when it does. from memory it happens in the big circle room before mist keeper when we are fighting the group with the purple flying guy and 2 minions.

p.s. going back to bard when both mallets are out and its dark it becomes next to impossible to see the notes coming down. Is it possible to make them not effected by lighting so its possible to see no matter the lighting but not default to so bright my eyes bleed when playing in the dark :wink:

4 Likes

As stated, Maoe’s had the bonus of having the boss rooms lit. But even then the light felt bugged out in there. At least we had working mage light and very bright torches. My groups utilized mage light and torches to move through. Mage light is broken and so is the other available light source.

1 Like

As for the old Maeo-Dungeon, actually due to my memory some cared just as much, it was the ever-same complaints in the entrance part before the first boss. I played Maeo 200+ times and the group always started complaining when either the stupid torches bugged out or were forgotten (I mean you could not really play and hold it) or if there was no mage in the group.
Also that bridge part right before the last boss room felt like going through a brick wall, for me, a tunnel with light at the end. But yea, it wasn’t all as bad as now in the mines. Also, what I stated many times in the post is that it is different for people, depending on headset, graphic settings, rl-eyesight / age etc.

I wished there was a gamma/brightness option to please everyone, but think that’s a bit too complicated in VR and then I’d vote for not to lock out certain players, classes etc. just for reasons of immersion. No one is hurt or detrimented in gameplay if things are less dark (and I don’t mean “superbright”, airship is the opposite case where bright lightning detriments gameplay) while it well is the other way round. I mean, I even spam lifewell just to see what’s going on with fights, which is a poor workaround though.

I got a similar issue on musky as the bard btw, can’t see my turret to load or charged-shot it when it’s not close, it merges with ceiling or walls. And specially in Mines it mostly is dropped apart from where I stand, because tank and ranged dps are standing apart. (And before someone wonders why dps need heal in the first place, that is due to mutations or their combinations, Ricardo, Reflective strikes, Pools, Hot Foot etc.; I did Mines on all levels, but mostly 15s).

The light spell also worked back then, so any set of competent mages could light up the areas, even during combat.

2 Likes

I think options need to be made for those who don’t like it however I loved old maeo and I love abandon mines and think it’s perfect imo. I think more overworld caves needs this dark gloomy feeling as well. Really all caves should be dark and gloomy and only have light coming in from the entrances. This should be able to be optimized with graphic settings.

I know this thread was about the mines but I noticed yesterday while I was in broken halls that there is already lights on the walls, they just aren’t lit up, could they have a lighting effect so it’s not so dark but still has the dark and gloomy effect?

Doesn’t have to be bright, or effect a wide area, just enough to make it a bit better

Though mage spell fix and lantern fix would also be nice…

1 Like

Aesthetically, Maeo’s Sanctum was one of my favorite dungeons. Really hit you with that “wow” factor with the darkness, tall cave ceilings, and giant bosses.

2 Likes

Old school maeo was missing epic boss room music like from sao but other than that it was just perfect

I don’t remember this part of the game…

Oh, nm :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.