My thoughts on the new content

Thought I’d give my thoughts on the new dungeons and shard mutations.

I played old Orbus, but not enough to get into dungeons or anything of that sort. So the two old bosses were new for me.

Abandoned Mines:

A nice short dungeon filled to the brim with mobs. At some points the mobs are definitely too close and could cause some issues higher up. The first boss has some neat mechanics, similar feel as the dungeon troll.On higher shards however, he hits WAY too hard. Our tank, who normally can do the normal dungeons on higher shards without a healer. But this boss, even on lower shards will almost one shot our tank. So I believe this boss is scaled way too high and doesn’t fall in line with the older bosses.
Second boss also hits like a truck in low level shards, but I love the mechanics of this boss. My only concern is, the AOE circles the boss spawns are pretty big. In higher shards these will one shot any dps. With them being so large and there being so many of them, this could make it almost a guaranteed wipe during that phase.

Ancient Temple:

A pretty dungeon with not too much for mob diversity. I love the look of this dungeon, quite a bit. The mob diversity isn’t the greatest, but it’s not terrible. The highest shard we’ve attempted on this is a 6 and it was pretty rough. Again both bosses hit REAALLY hard for those shard levels. The mechanics on the first boss are pretty fun. We have had the boss leash once or twice, from the same way others have described in other threads.
The second boss other than hitting really hard is pretty fun. The biggest issue we had however, was the bosses blue AOE. It’s MASSIVE, and just about killed our geared out tank on a shard 6. With it being that big, there is no way our tank can get out in time as there is no tell for the AOE. Also can’t time shield orbs as there is no tell.

Mutations:

Afflicted we have only had like once or twice, haven’t quite figured it out yet.
Hot foot is pretty neat. Add a bit of spice!
Fatigued can be a royal pain depending on the boss. But overall I like this one. Adds a challenge.

Golden egg, this one is interesting. There has been A LOT of talk about this one. It will for sure drop the dps of whichever play holds it. by a good chunk (class dependent). But, with some good teamwork and communication it’s easily doable.

Back Bug. Have only had Golden egg. I assume these change weekly?

Reaction Test. We’ve blown through these pretty quick. But it adds some good mechanics.

Reflective strikes makes you have to pay attention to what you’re attacking. I like it.

Shared Pain can be scary. If not being careful will definitely cause some party wipes.

So overall I enjoy the the mutations. they add a great challenge. The new dungeons however are scaled way to high to be effectively completed in time on shards above a 5 or 6

7 Likes

Our experience on the last boss abondoned mine 11 the AoEs are tuned fine. They still don’t instakill but still kill very fast. You need to find a way to stay alive in them by fast reaction and good positioning.

We’ve only done a 4 or 5? With random spawns of the circles it can sometimes be difficult to tell if you’re in or out of a circle, and with them being so big and so many of them, I’ve had difficulty finding safety. Now I haven’t too many of that dungeon yet, so could just be I need more practice with it.

Practice for sure. And some research.

1 Like

About this. I do think the new dungeons are scaled too high for what the devs intended. It is possible to get them in time but not by doing what the devs intended us to do (probaby xD)

There is always a way to cheez things, but that’s no fun lol

whaaa? It is fun. I love cheese :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, we’ll wait until the dungeons have been out another week or so to continue to gather feedback before we make any balancing adjustments but it seems like maybe the damage could be scaling too high for mid to upper shards so well take a look at that.

We are trying to track this down, we couldn’t get it to happen after our last patch so if you can PM us a video so we can replicate exactly what your doing on our dev server that will help in tracking it down.

Glad your enjoying them!

Curious what everyone’s thoughts are on the non shard scaling of the two new dungeons. Does it feel like a PUG of lvl 30s could complete it?

the shard level 4 and 8 the boss hits like a tank when myself and other tanks have +4 and +5 gear take so much damage

1 Like

yep, at least boss 1 of ancient tomb hit’s way too hard. in level 10 shards a crit can one-shot a warrior in full +5 gear with -1% incoming crit damage on all pieces.

not quite visible in the video, but It’s at the start of the fight I was at full health
1 Like

ya normal. same as ancient mage and rock boss

I am not sure. assume so

if a PUG could do the dungeon normally is a hard question to answer. it’s new mechanics to learn sure, but a few bosses take more teamwork than I think the usual pug is used to. but surviving due to how it’s tuned at base is *probably ok, though short of stripping gear and playing bad off classes its hard to tell

I like the AOE from this boss and would compare it to boss 5 expert mode of the old game raids. Can defiantly be reacted to and jumped out of but not easily.

I worry about PUG groups with these shards, especially with the bosses hitting so hard currently but once that is fixed it still might be on the harder side compared to the other dungeons.

Frankly, I am slowly tired of glitches and, let’s name it, flatout exploiting dungeons. Some of them are open secrets, everyone does them since the OG to keep up with the rest and progress, but I mean really… so far 3/4 of the dungeons are exploited, more or less, by most or all progress groups, to do them in time, the only one which might be doable as it’s intended is Broken Halls because it is nice and short.

Everyone surely will find similar glitches for the 2 new dungeons and for some near-impossible mutations, but again, really… all this is rather a sign that content is generally tuned up too high for the timers used, just my 2 cents.

Btw the overtuning shows not only on high, but also on low - a level 1 is supposed to be possible for players who just dinged. We did have a pretty hard time with 2 or 3 of the group being fresh players. And this on normal even, maybe the dungeons are just too new, but for 2 of the bosses there’s nothing to find out, mechanics-wise, and due to my feeling these could be easier.

1 Like

“Not the intended way” was not refering to exploits btw. Not at all…

Yea and no one ever uses this no-no word, but most things groups got so used to by now are actually well falling into this category… not that it’s a big deal, I do think if some things are not changed people will find workarounds or drop these shards entirely. Some times are simply impossible with the intended ways. And after each ‘fix’ came a new idea, just as it happend in the OG. I really like the game, but the only reason for us that people are leaving is when progress is missing, for weeks, and I just wanna avoid that.

I’ve done the Mine dungeon with a PUG, non sharded and succeeded. I tanked it, which is saying something. Definitely doable.

Also tanked the Temple in a 3 man group as a Warrior with a Bard and Mage. Not a PUG, but again, I tanked it. Non shards seem to be just fine :slight_smile:

I haven’t run the new ones as shards

Yes, damage feels too high on boss 2 mines and boss 1 Temple. Boss 1 temple hits like boss 5 EM on a 10. But ya, scott is right there is a way around all this, but its stupid we have to resort to it rather than having well tuned damage form the bosses. (not an exploit just a stupid strat)

1 Like

Now if only their area of effect was a solid color so you could see exactly what was a pool and was not a pool before you were dead.

Non shard scaling is completely fine. The shard scaling is absolutely out of wack though. A boss should not unbend a warrior tank on a normal crit for a shard level 8 with 2 30+4 and 2 30+5 armor

There definitely are ways around the damage, but they are not fun at all and it would be nice to tank these bosses with their damage tuned better.

2 Likes