New Event Idea for Old School Map Regions!

So @Espiticus mentioned something about changing up the portal idea and it got me thinking. What if they just made a new type of even that was on a timer like the trickster chest and goblin. Instead it would be a “rift” or “time ward” where we could go into and travel back to an old school Orbus map region. Could travel throughout the region and slay the old monsters or just enjoy the scenery, take a trip through the old dungeons if possible but you must be quick for it’s all on a timer until the rift closes. Could even throw in the old school wilds and apply the old school pvp rules for them as well. I think this is a fun and better way to possibly implement as much as possible from the old game and just put that whole argument behind us. To me this would be the best it could possibly get for both worlds.

3 Likes

Yup , I’ve been mulling over similar ideas.
Reminds me of Dark Diving in Souls 2.

Just thought since the portal is the epicenter of reborn that it would be interesting if we could take the fight to the other side and experience some timey-whimey portal-wortle OG maps even if in wireframe alone.

Imagine dropping randomly in the flaming forest and have to fight your way to the cave to encounter a shadow touched flame wyvern.

Or drop at one of the temples in the jungle and have to weave your way thru to our poison buddy.

Have you spawn at the ithicac desert tower and traverse down to the Frankenstein “Dragon” chimera.

Or find out the world bosses survived the cataclysm and have been dormant for the last 20 years… and we didn’t know because no one had an ithicac recipe and found the hidden path yet.

2 Likes

I’d like for the portal to close and I can get ‘stuck’ in the other world until the portal opens up again :stuck_out_tongue:

When it closes behind you, if you die in the game, you die in real life…

1 Like

LOL, it’s all worth it for the old Orbus!

Well the devs wouldn’t allow that to happen of course. It would kick you from the area.

Depending on the depth they go into in implementing everything exactly how it was for each region then they could increase the time limit for it being open. Let’s say they make it so every region has its boss right, they would probably force close the “rift” when it’s defeated.

I would play orbus solely for these events then!

1 Like

A lot of players would. It would most likely bring back a bunch of old players that don’t play anymore due to the games current status.

2 Likes

So I didn’t play OG, but this has been brought up many times. The reason they can’t just copy paste into the new game is because the two are running on completely different coding, the older one that was built entirely with premade assets and reborn with handcrafted coding.
To give an example for those that don’t know anything about coding: the OGorbus was made using pre-made cardboard cutout pieces, and that’s all they were allowed; reborn is made with legos, they have to make everything themselves from scratch, but have significantly more options because of this. So obviously, your lego characters wouldn’t work in the cardboard world, and vice-versa - they’d have to rebuild the cardboard areas by hand from legos for you to be able to play it. Which, isn’t bad, but would be so time intensive and basically just be rebuilding an entire game all over again, ontop of what we already have, then bug fixes, boss mechanics, etc., for that area as well.

1 Like

oof, so much wrong about that.
first off when we say they used assets from the asset store in old orbus it’s referring to 3d models, textures, sprites, etc. They did program it themselves and a lot of the scripts from old orbus was more or less copied over, like the scripts for the 4 classes that we had back then, like the warrior combo and hit detection.
They also did and still do use a lot of different unity plugins for various systems, the rune detection and drawing for the mage for example is a plugin.
They could more or less drag and drop a lot of stuff from old orbus into reborn, but actually getting everything to work together and dealing with whatever unity changes there were from whatever version old orbus was built in to the current version would be a long painful process that would take development time away from reborn, which would probably lead to the playerbase shrinking from lack of updates.
Not to mention trying to figure out all the issues with the server side stuff.
Also everyone would probably start of as level 1 or something since I’m pretty sure they don’t have the character data from the end of old orbus stored somewhere

3 Likes

I must agree with Asmund_T. Alot of the bugs that were present in the OG Orbus are still present in the game today. This is proof of the cut and paste, unless it is a Unity bug. (sometimes workaroundable with the code)

1 Like

I’d be okay with starting at Level 1 if it was a new game, for which I’m willing to pay again for.
BUT, knowing that won’t happen, If they were to re-incorporate the old game back in or parts of it, it’s a matter of adapting the SQL tables and sharing the data between all the code. Very do-able since reborn database schema is not likely too far off from the original…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.