Oculus Quest - cross buy with steam?

Hey guys!
First of all - thanks for bringing Orbus to the Quest!
As an early support who bought the game on Steam (cause it wasn’t available in the Oculus store yet), I feel a bit snubbed as people who bought it / or buy it on the Oculus store will get the game automatically for the Quest as well.
I understand that Oculus supports this and it is easy for you to just ‘turn on a flag’, but I hope you guys understand that some of us would have purchased in on the Oculus store if it would have been available there, so basically we get less because we bought earlier.
I understand that it’s a challenge to provide keys for Steam buyers, but I would suggest a procedure like that:
Steam buyer fills out a form where he proves that a) he owns the game on Steam, b) he owns an Oculus quest & has an Orbus account that is X days old (if you want to do it for earlier purchases only). Therefore no one can betray the system to get an extra free copy.

What do you think? Can we somehow get together here?

2 Likes

We really appreciate your support of the game, and that of everyone who has bought the game thus far. It’s because of that support, as well as to fulfill the promise of Early Access, that we are making Reborn a free update for everyone who already owns the base Orbus game.

At the same time, a unique opportunity was presented to us by Oculus to bring Reborn to the Quest, and as part of the arrangement we are able to offer it as a cross-buy for Rift and Quest with a single purchase.

Unfortunately, there is nothing like that in place for Steam, and it is not possible for us to offer to give a free copy of the game on Rift/Quest to everyone who purchased it on Steam previously.

My hope is that the community can understand that, and if you are excited about the game on Quest, we’re doing our best with Reborn and the Quest port to make it worth another purchase if you’re currently a Steam user.

The other side of this equation has also popped up from time to time, in the form of Oculus Home purchasers wanting to get it on Steam because they bought a new headset (Pixmax or Windows MR), and I’m sure that will be happening once the Index and knuckles come out; our answer will be the same at that time as well.

Hope that helps clarify.

4 Likes

Thanks for the specific and complete answer, I think it’s good to have it written down for this kinda special case.
This does not change that the cirumstances suck, though.
I understand why you need to handle it like this, just wished there was another way.
I did not play Orbus in quite a long time, eagerly awaiting Reborn - and i would love to play it on the Quest but can’t justify the 40 bucks cause there are a lot games that don’t own yet.
I’ll hope for another sale soon (I think it was down to 20 on the oculus store already?) and will then decide.

is there at least a way to transfer characters between accounts when/if we switch between the platforms?

Yes, you can link it to the same Orbus account and your characters will be there waiting for you.

so we can actually play both versions at the same time? thats not so bad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.