Pally off-hand/no-shield malfuntioning and cooldown

Something happened with the winter update with the fix of pally unbending. I personally use the no-shield to tank a smash or bolt, but after the update I get rare occasions where the 99% shield is not actually blocking the hit and thus killing me off. Trying to cause it myself with testing did not seem to let me trigger the bug sadly. But it does happen when it matters.

Another thing. I also understood from other pallies that the shield cooldown is slower now than it was before causing the shield to not be back in time for the next tankbuster of mistkeeper.

Lasty, probably unrelated but maybe not, I noticed with multiple new pallies that they do not seem to be able to trigger their shield by holding their arm up unless they strecht it further then they expected. Didn’t notice any new pallies having that problem before this update.

1 Like

Hmmm so does this happen with a weapon that doesn’t have unbending? I don’t see how the update would have really affected the shield not working. I wonder if it’s just a timing issue?
As for the cooldown and the mechanic that triggers the shield, neither of those things were changed in this patch.

Noticed this with two pally tanks on mist keeper how they cannot block early enough to have their shield back in time for the next one as tank buster won’t get absorbed and cannot do it late because it wont come back in time. Two different pally tanks, one does not have unbending.

The cooldown time for the shield is set to 12 seconds which is what it was before the unbending fix so that’s pretty odd.

Some examples of the failure of the off-hand blocking the damage:

I got a gazzilion more examples of scenario’s where it happens. I would say half the times I use the off-hand now I will probably get hit through and die. Was not the case before at all. Is this acknowledged as a bug @Jake_E? :

1 Like

I was able to take a look into it more last night and I think I know the issue. I was able to get it to happen reliably after that second video you sent. Without getting into too much technical detail, I believe it’s an order of how things are calculated that is wrong. Right now, it happens when you try to use the paladin shield on an attack that would otherwise kill you (if you have unbending), overriding the actual damage absorption you should take with the anti-tank buster and just setting your hp to 1. I think I have a fix for this but I would like to have the change tested some more before patching it since it does touch a couple of other systems.

3 Likes

Let me know if this is still an issue. It should be fixed in the latest patch.

seems to be fixed so far :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.