PvE DPS Class Balance

J’s ping is higher than mine and he plays on vive (I play on Rift)… yet we are bot top 1%. As for the natual talent, this has nothing to do with end game mages, personally I have invested 900+ hours into the mage class, so I think it’s safe to say that talent no longer has a part to play once you reach the top 30% of mages.

Definitely a bad idea. Interrupts should never be a “slot” item, because you will often be forced to have it or make the choice to not, which defeats the point of the mechanic. If they add it as a permanent addition like they did the lifewell, maybe.

All other classes have internal cd. They really needs to be some kind of internal cd so mages with a higher ping or worse computer aren’t penalized. This would also curb injuries. The devs should look at tighten up the drawings and give more dmg for perfect drawings. (more than is current)

Every class is going to be better with a better PC. There are mages in the top 5% with bad ping. Neither of these have much to do with anything.

Gravity orb? with a 3rd slot we would have more options. Switching 1 of 3 arrows between fights would not be a huge deal to me. Also a knockback arrow would allow us to solo some melee mobs.

as it is now if you want to be top tier dps YOU NEED TO BE MAGE. thats fucked

Or yeah let me shoot my trap at a mob for a knock back/interrupt

1 Like

Just wanna throw another thing in that is not rly mentioned so far, dps isnt the only thing that differs between the 4 classes its also utlity.
And in that aspect mage is at the top too…

So basically every class has one utility skill while Mage has them all:

• Easily accessible Stuns, also amount of dps lost for using it considering most enemies take reduced or no dmg during their interupts:

• Mage can spam Pushback > Downside it pushes things back | DPS loss middle
    • Ranger: 6 sec cd and 1sec charge time or 30sec cd with unrealiability and considering ur supposed to be 30m away basically not useable | DPS loss high - extreme
    • Scoundrel: 3(?) sec charge time no cooldown | DPS loss high
    • Shaman: I think its a totem but idk about its charge times or its dps loss
  • CC:

• Mage: Polymorph easily useable before combat, will rarely be destroyed because its easily visible. Harder to use mid combat with the downside of a full health mob
    • Ranger: 30sec cd, tends to not work at all because its falling through the ground, punished for ranger standing to close, Gets destroyed either instantly by a dot or after a second because its not rly visible. Its fairly bad
    • Scoundrel: Nothing that ik of
    • Shaman: There is a totem for it but that takes a spot that can be used for something else, then again i have no idea bout this class
  • Overall Group DPS Buff:

• Mage: 10%: Affliction, ill ignore shared streak cause mages tend to use selfish anyway(no further comments on that).
    • Ranger 5%: Huntersmark
    • Scoundrel 5%(?) Armorbreak perk
    • Shaman: ?

Other then that Mage also has:

• Decurse, which is rly useful thanks to all the poison that is in reborn and makes it a must have if u dont bring a musky
  • Mana Shield: Not rly useful, but it has been used in the past for a few things and no other class has any of it

Conclusion, Mage out of all DPS classes has:

• The highest theoratical DPS
  • The best CC
  • The highest Group DMG Boost
  • the second best(?) Stun
  • 2 special skills that isnt useable by any other class which at least one of them beeing rly useful

So i dont think that should be let out of the balancing either

5 Likes

Any encounter that makes mages move even a little bit is a massive hit to their dps. some mages have practiced moving and casting — and they can skill thru it — but it adds another level of skill.

I think Riley hit the nail on the head. Folks seem to think that the average mage is doing top notch dps, and this isn’t close to true. the average mage vs the average other DPS class is fairly balanced. take a new mage vs a new other dps and not even close — the other dps wins big time.

I’ve played a mage since OG and I’m in complete awe of what some people are doing. I mean the top few folks I’m referring to are actually physically gifted irl to do what they are doing and I’m not exaggerating.

Disagreed at least to the point that it sounds like any other class wouldnt.
Ill take slime boss as reference considering its the boss where u have to move the most

So:

• Mage: If we talk about the top 1% the can jump cast so theyre reducing is fairly low, looking at the more beginnger mages will have a harder time but affliction still ticks
  • Ranger: Uh sooo, 10% overall and 60% extra on charge arrows are lost if ur standing closer then 30. But on the boss ur closer then 15m so say goodbey to 59% overall
  • Scoundrel: Mostly unaffected so the winner of the situation
  • Shaman: As much as i dont know about this class ik that its done in, in a situation it has to move.We did a run of boredom on sewer with shaman before, our musky had higher dps…

So thats that.

After reading the last few comments what I would like to see for the ranger would be to remove the trap and make that a utility arrow slot. Move smoke arrow to there and change it to something useful like agro reduction, add a knock back arrow and maybe a trap arrow with some visual effect(net maybe). I like the damage buff we got so far but maybe to raise the skill cap add a distance bonus. 5% for every x meters. That way it’s based on skill. It wouldn’t be easy to get it on all bosses but I stand 30-80 in most rooms without a problem.

My point wasn’t to fix everything by making more moving encounters. My point is that it shuffles up the dynamic to write encounters that play specific to certain classes “being the winner”. Moving was only one example of how a simple encounter mechanic can alter the DPS output.

Ranger definitely needs some enhancing, but I don’t think the answer the game needs is to just add X% to their existing damage abilities or to lower the “theoretical dps” of mages.

…what limit?
Alfabet classes a good mage at 1.5 spells per sec, yet the 2 spells per sec is breached, and getting closer to 3 per sec.

Rapidity Rangers have a hardcap somewhere between 3 and 4 arrows per sec. After that all arrows do 1 damage. Can you see this is a bit messed up?

Yes it is messed up nut it is too late now. Capping it will scare away every good mage very certain.

1 Like

Should be deminishing returns on both. The 1 damage if you went over that could steal crits and bleeds killed rapidity ranger.
If you don’t do 4hits a sec you loose dps, but if you go over 4 hits per sec you loose dps.

more emphasis on perfect casting would be fun i guess… But that won’t fix the hard cap on ranger dps and the under-par scoundrel PvE damage.

As pointed out by sift, there are very few mages who would be affected by adding diminishing returns to casting at 1% speeds. As we see more players getting better at the clase and the average damage going up, some kind of shifting the balance may be necessary. However, diminishing returns disincentivize mages of all skill levels from improving. I’ve practiced as much as I have because I want to set myself apart and see how good at the class I can get. You’re right-this is a huge part of why mage is cool. However, if spending 3 hours a day practicing spells for a month would only grant me 2% more damage, why would I put in the effort? There isn’t a huge jump in speed from the top 5% to the top 1%, and they aren’t doing 50% more damage than the 5%. There isn’t a huge boost in speed that mages unlock at a certain point either-people who reach very high casting speeds just have that much dedication to the class. I think it’s much better to focus on making other classes have more returns to skill, rather than punishing mages who put in the effort to improve.

I just wish a talent gave a option to swap trap with a arrow. Or a third arrow.
Would up the max dps
Let rangers activate tiles
Give them another utility
Diversify there use of arrowes
Up the skill in combining arrow comboes

And rapidity ranger should have some diminishing return is they push the 4 per sec limit, I could do 6 reliably before that cap, after the cap I tried for a while but couldn’t keep the exact tempo, so swapped to precision. Now it’s basicly a dead tallent

2 spells per second is 16 spells during triplicity (for a timeframe reference). When was the last time you saw that, or any more than that in a fight? Approaching 3 spells/second is much harder, as that gets down to the actual server-side delays only and no delays at all from drawing. Nobody is even close to 24 frost/fires in triplicity…

Affliction, res, pushback, and polymorph are all part of a regular mage dungeon rotation and take longer to draw than frost/fire. As fast as mages might cast in highsteppe, these all reduce average casting speed drastically (and dungeon mechanics/any kind of sideways movement do the same). Most of the time I see people talking about super high cast speed, I think it’s significantly overestimating actual average cast speed.

Mostly listening to gloating mages, and stood by during some time challenges. And met Khun in battlegrounds
Holly shit that spell wall was insane

Was past the 2 per second mark, couldn’t say if it was 2.5 or 2.8… yah it’s not every spell type.

But don’t you agree that there should be a diminishing return at some point?

I’m not saying nerf all mages, just make 3 spells per sec do 10% more then 2 spells per sec, instead of 33%