Rare Critters Not Spawning?

I added this to my bug megathread, but I thought I’d make a dedicated post for it to bring this issue to light, unless I’m missing something. I’ve done more critter capture than anything else, and have still only gotten the first rare critter that was part of the mission/quest, whichever it was. Is there something special to finding these rare critters, or is it bugged/not properly implemented yet?

It’s a random chance that any critter is “rare”, afaik. No markings or anything.

Yes but I’ve caught 1,000+ critters but only 1 rare one. It says in your little log above your xp bar if you catch a rare one, and I always check it after every critter capture node I do, and I haven’t seen that I’ve captured a rare critter since the first one I got. If it’s not bugged, then the odds are WAY too low to find one, considering an achievement is to capture 2,000 rare critters.

1 Like

I do wish that the rare critters would be more obvious. Like, make them have a different stripe pattern instead of just being a random chance on-capture.

Also, I don’t think they appear in the log above your level indicator. You may have been confused seeing the first one (achievement earned). I have gotten the 50 achievement as well and don’t think I ever saw a rare critter pop up on my feed

Rare critters are slightly larger and move faster. I’d have to check tomorrow if the achievement is tracking it properly. You should run into a rare once every few nodes at least. I’ll check that in the morning too if you are saying you never see one. I haven’t touched that code in decades.

3 Likes

When you’re in VR and can’t exactly tell the difference between two sizes, particularly when they’re going relatively fast, and a large number of the critters are also practically light-speed zipping around (and more annoyingly turning without banking), I’m not sure these are clear enough. Is it possible to add a hue shift or something? To make it more apparent?

Also, and it’s not just relevant for this one, can we get progress bars on every progress achievement? Not on things like, “did you complete X quest”, but on all of the ones where we need to do something multiple times

2 Likes

Adding on to what Atropos said, it’d be neat to have a counter as well as the progress bar for achievements.

1 Like

I didn’t think this needed to be said as to me it’s kinda included. But yes, absolutely.

1 Like

I have the 3rd or 4th rare critter achievement unlocked, you have to focus the faster ones if you wanna get it

As for the achievement progress bars, I made that suggestion before but I feel it got look over/buried due to all the other stuff going on at the time

3 Likes

They seem to have a slightly larger distance that they run, probably because of the extra speed. If you stick with the group you will probably miss it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.