Runemage spells disappear after launched from wand

I have an Oculus Quest; since sometime around the patch a few days ago, spells started literally disappearing after I launch them from my wand. This happens like 2 out of every 5 times that I successfully draw it… basically not quite, but almost, half the time, even with my hands out in clear “sight” of sensors.

I don’t remember this ever happening to me prior to the patch, so it’s hard to tell if it’s me or what other explanation it is. Folks in game simply told me to report it, and I’ve not seen any other messages on here. Anyone ever have this happen?

Hey thanks for reporting. I don’t think we’ve run into this issue before or not that I can think of anyway. Do you know if this happens anywhere at any time? Do you know if you’re still hitting anything even if you can’t see it? Any specific info would be useful and if anyone else is seeing this feel free to let us know to help us track it down. Thanks!

I reported it launch week, with a video

Oh ok, do you mind linking that over to here?

I think he is talking about the bug in the beginning where the spells went crazy and sometimes just disappeared too at trying to launch. Got fixed relatively fast.

Nowhere on the public forum the account Frank_F posted anything about spells disappear as far as I can find.

it’s in my list in DM’s with riley and the spreadsheet of vids I submitted, I did it that way because quest dox’s you a lot if you don’t trim all your videos :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotcha I see your message. Thanks for the video. I assume you’re still experiencing this then? We can investigate further and try to find a way to track it down when we can.

I don’t think those issues are the same, at least from what I can see. Thanks for checking @Scott

Hey @Jake_E thanks for the response -

The effect seems to consistently occur 2/5 of the time, regardless of location (dungeons, battlegrounds, etc), bolt type, etc. If the bolts are actually doing something and/or doing damage, there are no visual indications of it. Something interesting, but subtle, to note: it also has an “honest” kind of randomness to it… i.e., spells can go bug free several times in a row, followed by fails another few times a row, then bug free once then bugged once… point is, it actually seems to be random if that makes sense, by observation.

I just went in-game and tried doing things like both unsetting & resetting talents (in case something was screwy with, say, using my offhand to direct spells or if resetting would somehow clear the bug), unequiping items on my belt (in case some sort of buggy blocking effect was happening with my guiding hand being “in” a potion bottle or something), equipping different wands, casting spells while nekkid, changing hand positions, etc etc. Nothing seems to clear or curb the frequency of the effect.

… not sure where @Frank_R’s video is (what’s “DM’s”?), but to clarify: when the adverse effect occurs, it appears as though any launchable spell (firebolts, frost bolts, affliction, etc) instantly vanishes like 1 or 2 ft away from me after launching from my wand; no impact sounds or other effects are observed, only that the expected sound from the spell and visual effects completely disappear. It’s enough to make the game unplayable with this class since I rely on my innate ability to draw these incantations, and having my successful casts be hampered so frequently and consistently by forces beyond my control makes combat impractical.

Are there any other things I could try to troubleshoot and/or reset that might not seem obvious?

Thanks for everyone’s input and help!

Direct Messages. You can get to them by hitting your account icon on the top right and selecting the messages/email looking button once you’re there.

Maybe it is an network error and that might be logged in the output_log file on your computer?

1 Like

I’m using an Oculus Quest, so no computer is involved; not sure where on the Quest I’d be able to find such, unless you have idea on that.

But that’s an interesting thought about the network, given that I’m on an untethered Quest. Thing is, the indicators in the Quest environment, as well as in other applications, don’t bark at me about latency very often, and these issues only started happening relatively recently after my having played for a couple weeks solid, prior.

Regardless, I’m not knowledgable on what things the game communicates over network, but there’s got to be alot of things sent across for things like where the bolts are directed and whatnot.

I wonder what side-effects, if any, would occur in-game (whether by design or not) if a bolt is launched when there is high-latency… does the world not care and it should just let the bolt go forward on last trajectory? Or would the world deliberately make the bolt go away if the client seems to disappear (via lag) like there’s a mechanism that monitors invalid artifacts in the world or something? I’ve never had a bolt disappear past that 1 or 2 foot distance after launching it, though… it disappears in the same place whenever it does.

I’ll pay attention to lag and try playing next to my router to see if that helps anything.

Thanks!

Ok, checked my network stuff, that doesn’t seem to help.

But, I spent a good while in a controlled env (my in-game player house practice dummy) checking this out, and I think I should retract and earlier observation that this is random.

What I found was, regardless of how fast I was casting, as I sat at the dummy, successful casts would happen in groups of 5.

So, not counting any spell fails due to bad drawing, I would cast 5 successful bolts, then the next 5 would disappear after firing, continuing back and forth like that.

What the heck would do that? 5 bolts succeed, then the next 5 vanish… all in my in-game house practice area. No talents were selected, I tried various speeds, and it looked to be consistent 5 successes, then 5 vanishes.

What do we make of that? (I wish I could upload video… is it possible to capture video in an Oculus Quest?)

Thanks

Yes it is! And if you figure out how to make it capture your voice audio let me know because mine doesn’t.

To capture video click the oculus menu button while in game (so orbus goes windowed), click the sharing tab, then click record. That’s it.
In order to upload though you will need a PC and if your PC doesn’t have a type C port you’ll need a USB adapter like I did

Ok I think I actually have some useful details on this bug, now.

Made a video, but my mac/macbook doesn’t seem to recognize it when I plug it in, so… still working on that.

But, @Jake_E @Frank_R @Scott, I found that once I cast the AoE Pushback spell (drawn as pushback with perpendicular circle), that’s when things start to go awry - spells, at some point, will start exhibiting this bug. Furthermore, it almost seems like subsequent casts of AoE Pushback will further increase the frequency of bugged spells, but the nature of that is hard to be confident on given all the moving parts and randomness, here.

Reloging seems to reset the bug.

In sessions since I found this, when I never cast AoE Pushback (or relog if I do), my spells don’t exhibit this bug.

Thoughts?

I can try that out, I can confirm I only ever do pushback 2 in highsteppe when bored, and that I’ve seen this spell bug outside of highsteppe as well, but if it’s a guaranteed repro that would be pretty cool

I made it out of highsteppe and down to some mobs then crashed to oculus home, so I’ll try when I get around to logging in again. #annoyed

Okay, my guess this is a Quest-specific issue since we do some stuff on Quest we don’t do on the other headsets for optimization reasons. We’ll do some testing on this internally on Monday, thanks for the tip on the Pushback 2, we’ll definitely test that out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.