The sound of silence

I thought there was something missing in orbus that I get in other games a lot more… I think it is sound effects.

There are so many places in orbus that I would expect sound effects for important events or just atmosphere but there are none:

For atmosphere

• NPC interactions
  • auction purchases
  • button presses
  • moving environment such as water and waterfalls
  • critter capture sounds
  • player movement
  • BOSS SFX, speech and walking
  • Doors opening and handles

For functionality

• Flag captures in the BG
  • Players get debuffed
  • Your player gets buffed (5% buffs from warriors, bards etc).
  • Enemy casts (not casted but casting).
  • When picking up loot
  • When getting a bite on fish
  • When enemies run towards me

There are a whole bunch more I am sure. These are the ones that I find weird that I can think of off the top of my head.

17 Likes

I can already hear the, “Eh eh!” and “Du du du,” from the old Highsteppe NPC’s.

10 Likes

100% agree, could be so much more immersive with just a few more sound effects, right now everything feels kinda dead when I’m just walking around. I think this may also be why people feel the world is empty, there is stuff like wildlife and scenery, but sound is such an important aspect to something feeling alive and not just some part of a game.

Currently, if you were to sit down in the middle of a zone and listen you’ll hear nothing other than background music if you have that on and everything just kinda feels dead. While if you go out into a forest or something simmilar IRL and listen to the silence you’ll quickly hear all kinds of noises in the forest you just thought was so quiet. It’s a really special and calming feeling you get, listening to the “silence” of the forest, because everything around you feels “alive” and it’s wonderful. I don’t think it’d be that hard to get a little close to that feeling in orbus by just implementing some subtle background noises and sound effects.

Also gonna add a few things

• Some background noises in the overworld, such as birds chirping, wind blowing through leaves, crickets singing at night, etc.
  • Better rain sound effects.
  • a sound effect when you cast a spell that isn’t a perfect cast.
  • when a mob resurrects on t10(an animation as well would be good)

Also just gonna link this very well written post @Arthanos wrote a while back that also mentions this: The Importance of Conveyance in a VRMMO and Where it is Lacking in Orbus/Reborn

8 Likes

This so so true, there are tons of effects in highsteppe like the Bell and the anvil lady, and that’s why highsteppe feels like something exists. I would like to see that everywhere you mentioned. You know waterfalls, birds, etc. Make it feel alive!!

I would love to hear some birds or ducks or… whatever those weird rock frog things are in the background. Maybe some better music as well. Not that the main track is bad (4/10), but every zone has the same music which gets boring fast. I liked the little bit of diversity the old orbus had, so hopefully music will improve as time goes on as well.

3 Likes

Huh. I totally missed this as being a huge contributor to the empty feeling I get from Reborn. You’re 100% right. The world is silent.

2 Likes

Love the new music for zones!
Also, last night in Crystal Cave I suddenly realized I could hear the chittering of bats, and in the flooded rainforest, singing frogs :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

To add onto this i could hear birds near the bottom of the highsteppe waterfall/graveyard while fishing, aswell as rushing water and a few more sounds,
did those pop up in a patch the last few days? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think some of them have been there for a bit but it may have been remixed in the patch from about 4 or 5 days ago yes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.