There must be a better party mechanic than aggroing 2 mobs?

Just wanted to know what everyone’s thoughts are on the pull 2 mobs in a 2 person group mechanic are. I could see it being fine if both of us were ranged, but as a warrior I find grouping with a friend much harder and less efficient than grouping up, and that really isn’t how MMO’s should be.

Just wondering if there has been any discussion about changing this system to something else that isn’t so anti-grouping. I’d be fine with less XP or something like that but it just seems like playing with my bud makes the game a lot harder and less productive.

2 Likes

Most classes have a way of dealing with one out of 2 enemies, rangers have trap, mages have chicken, and I think musketers have binder (?) Then you can kill of one enemie at the time. Elite, that are immune to these effects will be pulled one at a time

I’m with Jason on this one. Atleast the 2-man groups seems meaningless. With all the people I have met we’ve decided it’s better to not be in a party and just run together killing the same mobs and share the xp somewhat equal. Instead of always have 2 mobs aggroed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am with you as well, mainly because of the number of mobs available in an area, overall, and sometimes the type of mobs. The general feeling when leveling been often that I’m not a bit, but MUCH faster alone! And I had groups disbanding with players noticing same.
It is not really quicker with group, people die more often (depending on experience, mobs and skill of course) and if there are more groups leveling in the same area you can not even hold your chain up, getting only a fraction of XP in same time, waiting for respawn or running around searching for them.

I found it is way more fun doing things with a group, but I’d actually would even boost the xp because there is so much time invested (waiting for respawn, checkin’ for progress and needs if someone got a quest, waiting for people to run from graveyard) which you don’t have to invest when you are alone, plus you get more drops.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this.

I don’t mind pulling 2 mobs as a mechanic, in general. However, it does prevent a group from pulling stronger mobs. So, for example, a warrior and a ranger can’t go pull silver-star mobs to increase their difficulty. They’re still stuck pulling reds since they come two at a time.

I think the algorithm needs tuned.

Also, I find grouping seems to be entirely more slow than not grouping, when I’m trying to grind a level out. A post from last august seems to confirm that a 2-man group would have to fight at 3x their normal pace just to break even:

I have yet to find a 2-person group that can kill 3x faster than I can solo… but then again, I’m just now starting a new class. :wink:

To me it seems that grouping needs re-visited at some point. But… maybe 4th quarter. I’m interested in getting out some of these other changes that are coming down the pipe!

3 Likes

It’s just that over the last couple days it has really hit home when players in the world all understand the mechanic and tell you to leave a group if you are in one to only pull one mob. The system in place now just says in all ways that you are better off to level solo as it is faster and easier.

I’m totally fine with leveling in a group to be a bit slower than solo, that should be the price to pay for less chance of death, but pulling 2 mobs in a small 2 person group is just really poor design and it’s unfortunate that my friend and I are better off leveling separately than together. It really hurts the new player and leveling up experience of Orbus.

1 Like

Couldnt agree more with this post. Maybe 2 should come if their right smack next to each other but sometimes their nowhere near each other and you think you have one then all of a sudden another is hitting you from behind makes no sense that guy way behind me saw his friend being attacked and rushed in.

Slandaro

1 Like

I should perhaps add it’s hard with one exception, if you got a mage in party which just chickens the other mob until you get to it, but now that is actually overriding or avoiding the intended fight all mage-less groups have to face, so i’m still for a change, too.

1 Like

as a ranger i also can single out one mob btw… thats what our trap is for any ranger worth his salt can do that although i still disagree with things always coming in pairs…

1 Like

I am a mage, I group with Jason. I chicken the second mob, we kill the first and then as soon as we break the chicken a third mob comes. This cycle continues infinitely. I can understand using polymorph in dungeons but it is tiresome having to use it every 10 seconds and not be able to pull a single mob with smart pulling. (Pulling mob out of range of other mobs)

1 Like

are you polymorphing the first monster before you engage the second mob or after? it shouldnt be an endless cycle of mobs coming at you it should be just the 1 additional mob besides the original one attacked. Sounds like each mob that gets polymorphed is calling for help after returning to normal creating a chain.

does this happen if you dont poly one of the orginal 2?

1 Like

I agree with the OP here. This whole mechanic has made me very hesitant to group and I find it unusual to have such a strong disincentive to be in a group in an MMO. You are way better off and more efficient just killing each others mobs outside of a group if you are fighting harder enemies. Its especially brutal if you are fighting enemies that spawn more enemies. So you can pull 2 reds then end up with 6 and no group I’ve been in yet has been able to handle those situations. Unless I were doing the pulling and trap something way out my trap is pretty much guaranteed to get broken. I find I rarely die while soloing but as soon as I join any small to medium sized group its repeated deaths so I just avoid it now until I want to do dungeons. Also I’ve seen a lot of what Jason said where you get 2 or 3 depending on group and other mobs keep coming as you kill one. I just completely avoid grouping for xp because of the mechanic.

4 Likes

Yeah once again another night of grouping up in a small party of 2 and it’s just completely ineffective. OrbusVR team I really truly hope you look into this mechanic as it is straight up discouraging players from grouping, at least in small groups of 2. It 100% adds more frustration to the game and just reinforces the fact that soloing is better in every way. (Faster exp/hr, less chance of death, more loot, etc)

It’s a completely different situation in a larger group, but right now in small groups this is just not a mechanic that should be in a game designed to be played with others. We logged out a bit earlier than normal tonight just because he was starting to get frustrated and saying that he would be better by leaving group and doing his own thing. It is unfortunate that he is right.

2 Likes

Party’s are only really necessary for dungeons.

It can be useful in keeping track of everyone via the compass but what you’re talking about you probably don’t even need to use it being so close together.

I break party whenever it’s a hunt or kill quest for the exact same reasons you mentioned. Then we pop right back in.

But in a MMORPG game we should be able to group up outside dungeons with a friend and do quests together without the hassle of pulling extra unnecessary mobs. Chill grinding with a friend is just not possible in the game yet

1 Like

I do admit that the two player team shouldn’t draw two. If you can’t kill a enemy with one person, teaming up on him sounds resonable. A wider aggro range for the party instead maybe?

Perhaps it’s a workaround for mob levels increasing with an increased party size. 2 baddies rather than a single tougher one.

I completely agree with you on this, but if the mechanic is so easily avoidable by not actually being in a “group” I’m not sure I see its purpose. Unless having the mechanic is the only way for the game to function properly in dungeons.

“I break party whenever it’s a hunt or kill quest for the exact same reasons you mentioned. Then we pop right back in.”

Which basically illustrates the entire point of this thread.

Isn’t that counter intuitive to a MMO? Isn’t partying supposed to be something that is encouraged? As I said pulling 2 mobs is fine when you are in a larger group (I guess?) but in small groups it really makes both people feel like they are better off soloing, which to me is a huge problem in an MMO.

1 Like

So, single aggro with two people. 2 with three. And so on? Seems fair so long as the difficulty is increased slightly to account for marginal extra xp.

1 Like