Well, I started ReBorn today and...some thoughts

Technically not as the seam to have renamed it :smile:

Maybe you read this thread, maybe you didn’t. But whoever the dev was that implemented this sign today I SALUTE YOU GOOD SIR/MADAM! You probably saved a few people from giving up.

THANK YOU

This sign has been there for a while, IIRC.

There actually is a gps map available, courtesy of J. Search “interactive map” on the forum and you should find it. Also linked from #resources in the unofficial discord.

Actually, you are correct. The map in the game won’t tell you and nor will mine (mine references the event, which is called Chaos Tear). That said, it does tell you where Rope Bridge is. And where the spice thieves are near it. Granted, it’s a community tool and not one added to the game by the devs but w/e.

There’s a difference between people complaining because mechanics are hard to figure out (does the rep fishing rod actually make it easier to fish or is it just cosmetic) and complaining because they never read the giant signs around town and don’t know that story quests exist. I’ve met so many scoundrels that don’t know they could curve shots because they never read their book, which is literally the one and only source of in-game class ability information. This sentiment of “I don’t want to read” is surprisingly common and it takes some serious creativity to work out how to present all this rather involved information in a non-text format.

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

lol maybe they need to bring back the old man tutorial guy from oldbus

A Newbie Experience

I came home tonight and logged on and started a new character. In the video I talk a lot about what issues a new player faces and why there are issues. I honestly don’t know what more I can do to help or suggestions. I mean, this post got locked due to all the people flagging it, but honestly I don’t know why people are being so negative. I was not rude and was very respectful until I was attacked and I only defended myself. I learned a great deal from this thread and honestly my experience tonight playing my main was so much better.

Anyway I will just get back to the shadows and let the end game content/OG players do their thing as they seem to be kings of the hill around these parts and shut me down pretty hard. Obviously many of the players disagree with me on these forums - which shows many newbs don’t come to learn, but about 15 people followed me around in game tonight while I was recording and agreed with a lot of what I was talking about.

Video is still processing, check back in an hour or so - it’s about an hour and a half long.

1 Like

So Doc, what can we do to mitigate the effects of the “I don’t want to read” attitudes? In a lot of games, during tutorials, they typically block out using any other action other than what they are trying to teach you. Even when gmail gets updated they do this. I feel like implementing a new mechanic to the tutorial system where the game not only gives you popups, but it doesn’t let you do anything outside of the realm of the tutorial until that action is completed.

• Character creation
  • Innate/Talent abilities
  • Getting your first lore quest started
  • Fishing
  • etc.

These are some things that can/should be explained more thoroughly to newer players that don’t read the forums in a more coherent way than “ask around”. I would go so far as to say there should be small animations (floating transparent arrows pointing down to the paladin’s books, scoundrel should explain that you can curve bullets with a transparent weapon animation showing what is necessary for it, etc.) that show visually what to do for each of the class abilities.

Unfortunately I have no idea. I know Rejinx and Yecal made a video for new players, and I think the little tutorial gifs are mostly effective (if people didn’t immediately close them as soon as they popped up), and it helps that we have people standing around highsteppe willing to answer questions. I’m not a game designer, but it seems like an very difficult thing to solve for. Implementing your suggestion for each of the classes plus fishing seems like a ton of dev work - they would have to implement something like little mini-zones for training arenas where they would trap you until you’re done with your task. It actually sounds like a pretty effective idea but people would complain that the tutorials take too long or something.

1 Like

I absolutely agree, it is a ton of work to revamp any part of the game. However, it should have been in here from the start. There are tons of areas in Reborn that are simply unfinished, and in my opinion that is the Achilles’s heel of this game. The OG Orbus tutorial seems to have gotten the point across a lot better than what Reborn offers in certain areas, and Reborn’s tutorial seems to have strengths as well. Combining both of these would most likely be the most beneficial solution, and would likely benefit the community and game as a whole.

In regards to the mini zones you mention, this is similar to the OG Orbus tutorial area. The only change I would make it allow it to be an open instance rather than closed so that if veterans want to go up and help, they can.

1 Like

Ive read most of this thread today, and I fully understand @anon88892761

I played orbusvr for a long time, days and nights in a row and I enjoyed every part of it, especially the grinding to get my levels.

Ive tried twice to come back in reborn and twice after a short time I decided to quit. I didn’t understand anything, I didn’t know why my armor which was really strong in the old version yet wasn’t even enough to defeat the green mobs at the start. Also Im lvl 20 but I was losing my hp faster than a lvl 5… I mean what the hell? nothing of this was explained. I tried to wander around but the lands were getting boring really quick since it’s just all grass as far as I could see? I miss the jungle and desert a lot!

I will try again for the sake of the concept of this game and the joy I had in the old game but I might aswell restart my character since Ive got no clue about what’s going on.

Doesn’t matter, but thank you for understanding. I uninstalled after trying the update and reading the arguments over a PvP goblin and seeing it shut down for being a complete wreck. I thought this was a finished product.
I don’t even know why I’m posting other than to say that I read your post. It’s just a game after all. I’ll try again in a year once things have smoothed out of its still alive.

1 Like

You say “didn’t” which makes me think you do now, but here’s the explanation anyway: the new gear is better, so level 20 new gear is better than level 20 old gear, even if you had the best raid gear.

The Wastelands and Hulthine’s Basin are the two most different zones. I do also hope they bring more variety back

More like derailed thread got shut down. But whatever.
See you next year!

1 Like

Indeed, I had to ask on discord why it wasn’t working and appereantly the old gear isn’t correctly adjusted to the new game.

Yes, I eventually found it but this is what C_R meant and where I agree. I shouldnt have to find out on an external source why Im getting wrecked in really good gear in this game.

I don’t know how to improve the game to the point where I’d love it again since I’ll always compare it to the old version. But I’m just saying that the first time I started playing orbusvr I was immediatly hooked while now Im totally confused and desoriented.

Derailed = train wreck = Same same but thanks for noticing and feeling the need to take a jab and whatever to you (insinuating im wrong in my wording, but getting a like for “taking me down”) as well! Some of you guys have been really helpful and kind and I really appreciated the info. Hopefully Orbus will be around and I’ll happily jump in to see what’s changed.
Good luck out there! I’ll still be lurking to watch the development unfold. I’m a huge supporter of EA titles as long as they are honest about it. Won’t mention any other titles but I just started what seems to be an incredible experience in VR with a great start even at a the previous alpha stage. I gave up fierce loyalty a long time ago.
After all its just entertainment.

Oh and just since everyone here like to gloat about their achievements I did my Masters Thesis on the social and future dynamic of intercultural relationships and communication pertaining to online MMO’s more than ten years ago. So yeah, I know a thing or two about this genre/dynamic since I researched it intrinsically for more than two years. But it’s cool, take my basic suggestions and give em a toss lol

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.