About bow&arrow

Have the Devs mention why bow are so floppy and not ”glued” to controller position?

What do you mean? 20

Hmm, my bow seems firmly glued to my controller. Just logged in to be sure in case i was remembering it wrong, and gave it a good “shake” :smiley:

Maybe what you are experiencing are fps issues/drops?

Only time it should not be firmly oriented to your controller is when an arrow is knocked and its position is determined by the arrow hand… Any other wobble is not right… Also, knocking an arrow makes the string jump to the left, but that’s so you’re pulling back to the side of your head, and aiming down the arrow while avoiding hitting your headset with the controller

It’s when arrow is knocked I refer to, feels so wierd that all of sudden my bow is only attached to fingertips and can bend all over the place.

Think it be more natural feeling if bow remained as it was before knocking arrow, and yes, I still draw to my ear with a stright left arm AND Im willing to accept that the arrow somehow glides throgh solid wood :thinking:

It seems more natural to me the way it is now… With a real bow, aiming is done with either/both hands, so fixing the bow to the front hand would mean that either your string and arrow rotate independent, or aiming is done with the front while the rear is only determining shot strength/isn’t near the arrow nock necessarily… I know skyrim vr has an option for both of those, with ‘realistic’ aiming done the same way Orbus works… You could try that to see if what you’re asking for would actually work better for you… I remember another RPG, ‘broken seal’ had the type of aiming you’re requesting when it first came out, and they changed it to Orbus style because people didn’t like it.

Dunno know if I really request something, I just feel it is a bit wonky somewhere, when comparing it to RL ”shooting for fun” I draw to my ear, and adjust with my left, but of arrow dont move a millimeter, and adjustment is made by moving bow (Im not an archer so probably just screws up RL shooting too), but when doing it in Orbus I tend to clip things in to head if forgetting to controll arrow hand. (Might be what bothers)

But as stated, learning to handle it, gotten good advice by ”slingshot” shooting that does marvels, and will learn doing long range shooting at some point,

Think this is what i was expecting when picking up ranger as my off-class, and the ”double aim” is what bothers me a bit when doing long range shooting.

I have just gone through each game that have bows in my inventory,4 of them have good bows, all 4 of them have same bow hand as Orbus, it seems like it is the ”jumping to the left” that actully bothers.

I can shoot ”perfectly” by drawing to my cheek and aim, but in Orbus for the same aim, controller ends 10-15 cm away from my ear (outward), guessing this is why I experience it to be a shaky aim.

So basicly, my initial question about ”floppy” is invalid :expressionless: so I change it to ”add toggle for left jumping”

Edit: Think i need to start taking notes and sort thoughts before taking to forums :grimacing:

1 Like

The jump to the left is definitely a weird feature, but it does help not hit your headset with a vive wand 3 times a second😀 you honestly do get used to it…

True, allready gettin there, still think it should be toggable, you can learn where vive is sitting in your face :yum:

To be honest i don’t notice any side shifting at all. But that may be due to using oculus touch controllers which are so much smaller than the vive ones. Heck, maybe there is no shift for touch users. At least i’m not seeing it.

(and i only think i’ve managed to hit myself in the face once, but i was probably drunk as well :laughing: )

One thing that does bug me with bow & arrow though, is the inability to grab things with the arrow hand. There was another thread touching upon that recently, but i forgot which it was.

It is not so much that i have to put away my arrow to pick up loot (although this does indeed feel unnecessary). It is more importantly the inability to f ex quickly drink a health potion if i should need it.

In my very first 10 hours of the game i crafted 4 health potions. For this reason i have yet to use any of them simply because i would have to put my arrow away, then grab the potion, lift and trigger drink it and finally reach back to grab a new arrow.

If i really needed the potion i would probably die anyway in that process, at least while soloing thus being my own tank. This particular part i feel quite strongly should be changed.

One of the games I went through while searching for what was bothering me had the arrows materialize when pulling string, was pretty nice, worked with specials too.

I cant wait to see if better bows will allow better aiming abillity…

They don’t😟 all shoot the same

I know this might have been too modern:

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/0/0e/Aim-a-Compound-Bow-Step-9.jpg/aid5976098-v4-728px-Aim-a-Compound-Bow-Step-9.jpg

But we dont even get this at higher levels?

http://myarcherycorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/training3-768x1024.jpg
That be a shame, hope the look into it a tad more.

1 Like

Aiming becomes less and less important as the end game monsters are big, and it becomes second nature that far into playing… There’s no bonus for headshots or weak spots, or anything… Just a giant hit box… Plenty of posts have suggested implementing more meaningful ranger aiming, but so far the devs are quiet… One post even went in depth on how it should be implemented…

I would love to see better aiming options for aiming for both the gun firing and the bow firing in this game. Distance shots for when you are leveling would be sooooooo much better.

I think he may be talking about how when you grab your arrow to draw it moves the direction the bow is aimed in for a small moment. I find this rather annoying at times too. You can usually correct the angle by the time you’ve fully drawn the bow but it seriously adds the the difficulty of landing consecutive shots and adjusting your angle if you miss.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.