Alpha Test 6 Feedback Thread

FWIW, @Draven and I were catching dwarf sharks like crazy last night, so at least in some places or with certain lures, the catch rate is much higher than last test.

I hope that is the problem, because I had that crash already 3 times now in the span of a few hours… (just now before I got the patch as most recent one) But not because I walked away from Bart. However it is always in the starter zone.

Frametime data as requested. This was taken after your fix today.

This is on a
Intel 7700k
Nvidia 1080
Rolled back to 382.53 drivers.

Everything is all white when I try to log in.

Did the server crash? Because like standard, you lose connection and relog and I am in the air :stuck_out_tongue:

Should be fixed! I swear I walk away for 15 minutes haha…

1 Like

So I had some time to write down some feedback:

Bugs:

• Player journal for me still VERY buggy with floating black square, double pages at the start and most of the times the book starts blank and scrolling back and forth helps getting the pages back.

• Rubbing/touching the journal to the teleport pillar does nothing for the journal.

• The big building in guild city with it’s own teleport stairs is getting invisible for a few minutes and then visible again when you are standing on the other side of Loch Laroo (at the side of the begin area). Other buildings stay visible that are way further away. This just keeps happening. I already have seen it multiple times over a timespan of 4 hours.

• Hover over items in your equiped slots shows information that is blended with the screen. a.k.a. you can’t read it because the background pop-up is not appearing along with the text.

• Going to the chef’s basement has a strange bug. When you teleport one time in the room below the chef, the floor will then be broken and you can’t teleport anymore. But you can get away with teleporting back up the stairs.

• Waving is still a hastle sometimes to make it trigger a conversation.

• Half of the stairs teleports are not visible depending on for me random moments.

• You can walk at the edge underwater at Loch Laroo. (only tested with teleport)

• Rings of first boss still not visible when standing close to the rock. Not set as known bug so people keep reporting it :stuck_out_tongue:

Other:

• At night missing light brighting up the environment from lanterns and other light sources. They seem to be fake lights?
  • I really hope that in the dialogue some more character and mostly more humour will be brought into the game. If every npc is serious and normal about their doings, then i.m.o. the questing is a bit boring.

Thanks for the feedback! On that last point, did you do the quest for the Witch of Mulbirth? I think that one definitely has a spot of humor to it…

So based on the bug reports I’m getting from folks, it seems like the freezing issues have been solved, but we’re still getting some crashes…it seems like there’s a common theme that they are happening right before/after zone transitions? Are lots of you experiencing that?

About 15 minutes left then we’ll be shutting it down for the night.

Okay that’s a wrap! Thanks for joining us!

1 Like

Awesome test tonight, the only issues that I had during the last part of the test were odd partial disconnects, where I could keep on exploring, hear others through the compass, but couldn’t talk back, or see other players, or see mobs. Restarting the client placed me fairly far back, to just after the last time I had successfully talked with the other players through the compass.

It may be a good idea to have dated log files, or cycle though the logs so that the log of a few previous sessions are kept, at least for a certain amount of time, as I forgot to save the logs when restarting the client, and this issue didn’t appear during the last 40 minutes of the test.

No I missed that quest. :frowning: Will look into it next test.

My freezes were after teleporting, yes.

There’s one square of ground you can’t move through right in front of the door inside the witch’s house

Oh hey, Im kinda late but here are some things / Bugs to report.

• Polymorph still puts the player in combat 9/10 times.
  • When you enter the Witches Den, you are facing the Exit. The player really should be facing the interior as if they walked through the door. I cant remember if this applies anywhere else, but that really should be the standard. I dont walk into a room and do a 180 right away. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • I somehow got bugged out and had no fog. This didn’t really seem to impact performance at all, and was very nice (though, the grass turnes black if you looked north-ish)! Unless it is an aesthetic choice, some kind of a Draw distance setting would be nice.See: http://i.imgur.com/D40UOF5.jpg

Not so much a bug, but I really think inventory should be considered for Musk / Ranger / Maybe Runemage. The arrows / orbs / reagents could end up talking alot of inventory space, having some kind of a small pouch or Quiver slot that gives you another smaller bag would be a great QoL.

Sorry in advance for the delayed post and the extra massive wall of text! All feedback is given in good faith with the sole intent to help improve the quality of the game. I absolutely love this incredible game, and only want to be a part of helping it to grow. If any additional information or video is desired or if there is any way I can parse or send this feedback to make it more useful, please let me know.

Playtest Character: Draven. 12 Musketeer, Runemage, Ranger, 8 Warrior, 3 Fisher.

Summary: This playtest was a lot of fun, I enjoyed how the weather made the world feel much more alive and dynamic. The quests gave some direction and purpose, as well as fleshed out a lot of game lore. The journal is an excellent addition, and the integration with the compass is an extremely clever way to prevent the items-dangling-all-over-your-avatar-bloat problem from getting worse. There were a number of bugs (see below) and some direction concerns, but overall I think these were amazing fundamental features added to the game that will help in numerous ways.

Quest Feedback
I ran all of the quests I know of (and I thought I had hit them all), but I missed out on the ambivalently bestowed one concerning the plot to go after the Bishop. I think the intro training quests were very clear and will help new players immensely. There were a number of quest specific issues I experience, some of which were bugs, and others were messaging, flow, and overall presentation:

• Major Feedback: A number of these quests had some fun flavor to the dialogue, but overall were mechanically straightforward Kill or Fetch quests. This may be planned, but I wish there were a few that had more unexpected and unique scripted elements to them, be it in a personal instance or otherwise. Having dramatic events unfold around/to you in VR is fertile ground for some truly memorable and interactive experiences.

• Critical Bug: I am almost positive that when returning to Quinn for one of the Noah’s Ark quests, you would receive your payment during his initial dialogue, but you could decline the follow-up quest, which allows you to get infinite coin by repeating this process.

• Major Issue: The very first NPC you are likely to speak to, “Marcel Rinro’Ja Cenn”, given his proximity to the spawn is extremely wordy. I personally love the flavor and background lore, but it could give new players the notion that this immersive VRMMO is going to be filled with walls of text.

• Major Issue: It’s not clear when finding most quest items in the wild if they are something you will want to collect a bunch of for various purposes or if they something you just need 1 (or 2 or 3) of for a quest you haven’t unlocked yet. Most of them currently just say “Ingredient” or “Item”. They also seem to vary between being Green or Blue quality. It might be worth considering any of the following: hiding them in the environment when the quest isn’t active, messaging them clearly with “Quest Item”, making them stack to the count you will need and preventing you from getting more, and/or having them be another way of gaining the quest so you can work backwards.

• Moderate Feedback: When finding a quest target NPC for Slay or Collect, it’s not obvious that it’s actually the target you need or not. This was particularly noticeable with the King Stag but can apply to all of them.

• Minor-Moderate Bug: If you already have the items the quest is looking for when you accept it, it will show you as completing it first, and then accepting it. This would be minor, but being able to pre-complete quests also leads to potentially missing out on quests, such as the quest chain starting with “Forest Secrets” which assumes you will go to the Green Lady Forest while on the Demanding Chef quest.

• Moderate Feedback: It might be nice to have a “Gained X Coin!” and “Gained Y Item”!, akin to completing an alchemy potion, when completing a quest in which rewards are given. As of now you need to compare and contrast between interactions to get an idea.

• Minor Bug: Many quest items had placeholder question mark icons (Red Truffle), or seemingly incorrect icons (Knight’s Emblem).

• Minor Bug: Quest items appear not to stack, across the board.

• Minor Bug: The quest accepted window that pops up when receiving a quest can have more text than can fit in the box that appears, prompting it to display a scroll bar which I don’t believe is usable. The box also disappears so rapidly, it’s difficult to read even when it’s not overflowing the box.

• Minor Bug: The first quest you receive from Marcel Rinro’Ja Cenn does not have a name. You just get “Quest Accepted:”

• Minor Bug: Both quests from Chef Lethrow have the same name. (This might’ve been a result of me auto-completing the one when turning in the other, not sure)

• Minor Bug: I’m pretty sure I did not receive a reward on the second Chef quest despite him saying “Oh yes, for your efforts…”. Again, might’ve been a separate issue impacting it.

• Minor Bug: There are a number of player selected dialogue response options with quest NPCs that get truncated. Example: “Challenge, HA HA! I am” for one of the Noah’s Ark quests.

• Minor Bug: A number of quests direct you to the Lowland Woods, and even suggest you use the compass to locate it, but that’s not currently on the compass.

• Minor Bug: The one King Stag I could find was on the edge of Highsteppe and not damageable with direct attacks. I had to use Arcane Explosion to kill it.

• Minor Bug: Marcel Rinro’Ja Cenn sounds like he has a follow-up/maybe-repeatable quest and it looked like he even had another yellow exclamation mark show up, but it didn’t engage.

• Minor Bug: Really an animation issue, but Chef Lethrow had a weird facial tick going on.

• Minor Feedback: Always seemed odd to me when quest NPCs didn’t seem to have a name, in their text, or in the journal anywhere. Includes the “Spore Hog” and the “Ghost Buster” quest givers.

• Minor Bug: Quinn didn’t have a quest indicator above his head when returning from the first Noah’s Ark quest, but he did respond appropriately when waved at.

• Minor Bug: The unnamed sister of Quinn quest bestower NPC was stuck in a weird squatting pose that made it look like she had some digestive issues.

• Minor Bug: The last dialogue block of Guardian Bart’s text on “Final Challenge” had internal notation "will appear. < / o o c > " (But not spaced out, as it confused even the forums)

• Minor Bug: I had to speak to Guardian Bart a few times before I could complete the Final Challenge successfully, despite having the Stag Meat. In looking at it afterward, it seemed to not fully register me pulling out the journal the first time.

Journal Feedback
The journal is really fun to use and has a ton of style. I definitely look forward to seeing it grow over time. There are a number of technical and usability issues with it currently, but I suspect they will be resolved in time. The use of exclamation mark indicators on the compass to let you know you have quest updates is subtle and nicely done too. I really enjoyed holding the book up to the rune pillars and having the glyphs be added for reference.

• Moderate Feedback: While I really liked the pages on fishing, it largely didn’t include anything actionable after the fact, in terms of where they came from, what baits they like, etc. The background, and record stats are nice but I find it something I could keep in a different journal in my house as I’d be unlikely to need it in the field. If it had specific info, that might be more useful but I know that’s a fine line to walk.

• Moderate Feedback: The page for Tinny’s Potion was very well organized and presented, but there is still the messaging oddity and potential confusion when it points to a specific color (Green/Warm) and lists multiple ingredients, as it’s not immediately obvious that the user is expected to drop the additional ingredients in right after the first despite the cauldron turning blue, vs waiting for it to turn green for each one. Not sure what the ideal solution is here.

• Moderate Bug: Throughout the entire playtest, the majority of the time the journal would open to an empty page, and I’d have to turn past it to another empty page and then back again in order to see the relevant text.

• Moderate Bug: Had a few times during the playtest where the journal would show one page, until I slightly lifted the corner of the page, which then had the page shift to show different information.

• Minor Bug: Slay targets in the journal can go above the maximum: (87/2), etc.

• Minor Feedback: Sometimes the NPC will hint at what the reward might be, but the journal doesn’t include it. This might be deliberate, but it could be nice information to have.

• Minor Bug: On the Slay quest targets, the journal was using the internal description for the mobs instead of the player facing term like the collect, with no spacing on the terms. “Slay bigpig” vs “Collect Queens’ Ear.”

Weather/Environmental Feedback
Loved seeing daybreak, the sky darkening before rains, and the overall enhancement of the visuals in the world. Sometimes it was really breathtaking.

• Major Feedback: In many cases, it was so loud (deafening for thunder, or persistently moderate volume for rain) that it made it difficult to communicate effectively with others.

• Moderate Feedback: It might’ve just been for testing, but the weather seemed to change really frequently, and it seemed that it was raining almost as often as it wasn’t.

• Moderate Feedback: Not sure if this was in place or planned, but it felt like the weather was the same everywhere at the same time, as opposed to it occasionally being raining in the Jungle while calmer in the other zones.

• Moderate Bug: Had at least one incident where the skybox went completely black for me, though it was daytime for everyone else. Was kinda cool/disconcerting, but made it hard to see some things as it affected light levels too. Relogging fixed it.

Misc/Other Topics

• Major Feedback: Inventory bloat is increasingly challenging to manage with quest items added to the mix of class items, gear, all harvestables, etc. Not sure what the long term plan is here, but I would honestly pay in Dram or RMT for more inventory space at this point.

• Major Bug: Had a new type of crash this time where the client would completely freeze on me. In game, the world would fade out to the steam loader, and the client on my desktop would have a stuck image of the game. Happened maybe 4 times in the several hours I played.

• Major Bug: I had at least 10 incidents where I ended up in an alternate instance of the world than those around me. This could happen when I was zoning, or just walking around. In the alternate space, I could still move around and cast spells, but the spells would not fly when activated. Relogging did not fix it, but bug fixing to graveyard typically did.

• Minor Bug: NPCs call the currency Dram but the inventory calls it coin.

• Minor Feedback: God’s Eye Lake was renamed to Kingsport Lake, but the town of new Kingsport is in the Jungle. Might be easier/clearer if it was just Highsteppe Lake, for new players to understand when directed to it.

• Minor Bug: I tried a few times this playtest and last to have Alchemy Ingredients in each hand to make sure I could drop them in effectively, but I kept running into weird issues where the offhand would not drop the item in correctly after dropping in the first hand. Seems like something people would do naturally (an ingredient in each hand.)

• Minor Bug: Sometimes there would be multiple (2-3) empty potion bottles in my home next to the cauldron, and using the wrong one would result in no potion being generated, which means you need to frantically try to grab each (they are typically overlapping) and dipping until it works.

• Minor Bug: Ice Lance still has about a quarter to half second delay after being fired before you can start to cast another spell that all other spells do not have.

• Minor Bug: Polymorph didn’t update the visuals on certain mobs correctly (particularly with Lizard men but I believe it happened with a few others)

• Minor Bug: New humanoid Bandit mobs didn’t have a death animation, and seemed to not have any drops.

• Minor Bug: At character select, my character would have often no level, wrong level, or wrong name. (Gear always seemed to reflect my character correctly though)

• Minor Bug: The empowered strikes potion does not stack as other potions do.

• Minor Bug: The floating damage text that pops up for Ice Lance would overlap itself when getting a crit on a frozen mob and be illegible.

• Minor Bug: The unnamed Airship Jerk used the wrong “you’re”, in “They are bought and sold by those richer than you, if your lucky you will find one someday.”

• Minor Question/Request: Will we be able to have others join us in our instanced homes?

• Minor Question/Request: It might be nice to see buffs and debuffs cycle down the way our ability cooldowns do, to show their relative duration state.

• Minor Question/Request: We noticed that the chef was wearing a gold ring. Any chance we’ll get jewelry gear slots?

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Very helpful. I don’t have time to go through it point by point right at this moment but I have read it all. Some of the stuff you’re mentioning (like having something ‘pop up’ to tell you when you get an item) is definitely in the works. One thing I will note that is that it’s not a bug that some quest items don’t stack, basically if you’re only intended to need one of them (e.g. the Knight’s Emblem) then they don’t stack. As you said we need to do a better job of not letting you pick those up if you’re not on the right quest for them already.

But yeah overall thanks so much for all of the feedback! We’re working on getting a lot of these bugs squashed and as we head into Beta hopefully the polish level will continue to go up.

2 Likes

My feedback isn’t going to be nearly as impressive as Draven’s.

The journal was really cool. I liked the runes inside and the quests were easy to follow. I feel like the size could be smaller. It’s like using a tablet as opposed to an actual book.

Bugs: the front page clipped with the 2nd page.
The completed quests wouldn’t leave the journal until a zone change. The black bars in the middle where you grip it. I also feel the journal should travel with you like the menu.

Weather: Really promising. Looks great and I didn’t notice any performance loss. It seemed to rain more than anything but the sunrise looked amazing. You can see the sun even if it’s behind mountains. Thunder was too loud and the heavy rain drown out anyone’s voice in the vicinity. Even party chat was hard to hear. Stars in the night sky was incredible. Sunset seemed a little too strong, like a super heavy filter was draped over my vision.

Warrior: I play warrior most of the time as most people know. Everything seemed pretty stable in terms of hit reliability and correct blocks. The enemies still clip into me after a sword rush, so trying the “slide” idea Riley previously mentioned might be worth a shot in terms of QoL and immersion.
I had 1 interesting interaction with the big lizard men. The 1st I fought couldn’t be hit by anything but a left and right. No combo could complete. I used 4 potions that fight. Number 2 was perfect. Everything hit, blocks worked, and I didn’t go below 3/4 hp. #3 was a mix. Half the time it hit, half the time nothing would register at all. I assume this has to be on my end because #2 was perfect.
Also sometimes it looks like our shield hand is empty but other players see a shield and we can stun enemies with a barehand. I still advocate for moving the sword down the controller a bit so we aren’t holding the pommel. And the King Stag can be sword rush spammed like the boar could. It would leave me where I was but spamming the trigger would repeatedly deal sword rushes damage.

Strength indicators: I like the aggro radius ratio, but maybe it feels a little too large. As a level 7 I was in the jungle and jungle dungeon (obviously a bad idea) but every 3 steps I’d have an army aggrod on me from across the map. It seemed a bit excessive.

Quests: I liked most of the quests. I enjoyed that they complimented each other (king stag kill and king stag meat) but the lack of lowland woods on the compass and hard to spot king stags made me second guess whether I was in the right location. I almost gave up in frustration.
The witches house was really cool. The dialog was fun and the quests were interesting. We couldn’t copy teleport runes into our journals via the “rubbing”. I’m guessing that will be added later?

The quest npc waving to trigger dialog seemed finicky and wouldn’t trigger very easily/consistently.

Alchemy: I think it should be changed a bit so we don’t have to put the 2nd ingredient in when it’s blue. Many players, including myself at first, would wait for the color to return before adding ingredient 2. I think leaving the same color for a few seconds after adding an ingredient would let players add other ingredients before turning it blue. It’s more intuitive that way and timing is more key. Add x ingredients before the color changes. Overall it worked as intended and I made 16 hp pots.

My overall impression of this test is positive. The warrior felt good. The quests kept me busy and didn’t feel like a chore. The weather and sky boxes made the world feel much more real and alive. The journal , while feeling way too big, was easy to read and follow. I also like the warrior horn’s new location. Much easier to grab midfight.

1 Like

Like Morgan I had somewhat overkill aggro while being a lvl 11 in jungle. Tigers and other mobs would attack me when they were even outside of my range as a ranger and I was just walking along. I only noticed this in the jungle areas. I had a lvl 12 runemage with me and he didn’t get aggro at all. Once I hit lvl 12 it was much better as well.

Suggestion, in several other games with teleport a swipe/click on the teleport touch pad to the left or right will rotate the avatar 45 or 90 degrees. In front facing mode this works but seems to be overly sensitive for use in the room scale mode. Could something like the front facing mode rotate be added to the room scale mode? I find myself up against a wall in my play area much more while playing orbus than any other game on the vive. Not sure how easy this would be to implement but would be greatly appreciated.

Overall a good test, especially after I upgraded to the proper launcher which seemed to help with the random client crashes. Every crash I had seemed to happen during a server communication either a zone change or area change. I sent in a few crash logs, hopefully it will help.

Looking forward to the next test.