Alpha Test Feedback Thread 5/5/17

If I grab someone else’s pick axe I can duel weild pick axes.

Not sure if bug or feature. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if this is another connection issue, but pvp is unplayable for me as a warrior.
Let me explain: On my screen the player is right infront of me. I swing. Nothing. Then they teleport somewhere and hit me. Ok, seems ok. But to them I was standing still while they were constantly teleporting around me. Now, is it on my end that I only see them moving 1 out of 5 teleports? It’s extremely frustrating :frowning:

Oh my god that was amazing! Runemage was a blast to play. When I started out I was really frustrated because none of my runes would work, but once I had practiced for around 3 hours, it was second nature to throw out an arcane ray in 1-2 tries, and to have fireballs shooting out at rapid succession. Although I think you should buff ice lance, because it was only useful if you got a crit but otherwise, it wasn’t that good. I never got a successful polymorph out, and barely managed an affliction but besides those I could do most spells 80% of the time. Another thing I loved was that everyone was sharing tricks and tips on how to get your runes just right. One problem I found was that the revive ritual was comically easy. Once you got past the first rune, you could do a couple squiggles to get the second rune, then do 3 circles to get the third. Also, the hardest part of the portal ritual was not having the system recognize the starting time as the starter for revive. On the ingredients, I found 4 of them, the blue named yellow flower, bloodcaps, sourbell, and queens ears(or eyes, I can’t remember) and found all of them in the wilds, where I tried and failed to gank another party of players. Overall, once I got past the first hour of rune frustration, the rest of the test was really fun and I even did the world boss with 90% of the server, although by the time we killed it there was massive client debris. I also noticed the crafting room in your houses’ basement. This was really fun and I can’t wait for the next test!

2 Likes

Couple additional notes!

Elongata is much much harder now. It took 10-15 of us several tries to down it and even then we basically wiped as it died. Not sure if that is the intended difficulty target or not. It was awesome to be a part of but it may be hard to get that many people together in general. It also seems to respawn without the classes standing by each stone which makes getting any loot drops really difficult.

For whatever reason it’s gotten way way harder to get the tooltip pop-up in the inventory when pointing at items than in previous playtests. You can still do it if you try repeatedly but it’s a pain.

I continue to have the issue where it thinks I’m stuck in combat but won’t let me bring up the menu until I die or relog. Seems like some people are getting hit by this and others aren’t at all.

Phew. I finally found the last of the 9 gathering items - the apples! Currently you are able to harvest the apples on the ground - however they do not show up in your inventory. @Robert I hope this completion gives you some of the easter egg satisfaction!

5 Likes

I’ve actually noticed it is much easier to get the tool tip to pop up now. All you have to do is hover and not touch the item for a short period of time. I kept trying to touch it until it finally clicked when I was looking at items. It is very solid now.

I agree on the Elongata being much much more difficult, also the stones were not highlighting for my class like they were last test.

2 Likes

Ah cool, I’ll try that. Poking them seems to almost never work now though.

There is still a fair bit of geometry to get stuck on when using ‘smooth’ locomotion.

I seem to ‘stick’ instead of slide past when I get near to an object that blocks movement. Ends up with smooth locomotion feeling jerky and discontinuous, having to backtrack a bit.

Does that make sense?

I noticed this as well.

No apples in the inventory after harvesting

Alpha Fishing ideas

-fishing boats that you can drive around the lake.
-Different baits you can buy or make to help you fish.
-Exotic Lures drops
-Special rod drops
-Words are facing the wrong way when telling you to pull.
-Maybe have your line snap if you don’t reel fast enough after you pull the rod.
AKA King Pablo

No I was the warrior in both occurrences that I was stuck in combat. I might have tried the swipe gesture and that didn’t work either (not 100% sure about doing the gesture correctly. But I did try it for about a minute).

Also, when I was in the dungeon, dieing from the first boss repeatedly also kept me stuck in combat. So even when I died I was still stuck in combat and not able to open the menu.

Btw, why did you choose to disable the Menu button when stuck in combat?

hey Riley and Team,

I thought I would do my part on writing thorough functional test notes as I was playing. I leveled up my mage and ranger to 8 as this is the part of the game I would be playing the most and can comment on with some interest and passion.

Functional testing notes on the mage spells and drawing them:

Fireball: Works totally fine.

Frostbolt: Works well also.

Icelance: The rune works well. as a spell, It indeed does well in combat.

Arcane ray: I had no issues drawing this rune but you have to draw it accurately. It takes a lot longer to draw than equivalents like fireball or frostbolt… I didn’t use it because of this but it is a consistent ‘DoT style’ cast. A bit like arcane missiles in WoW whereby you can cancel for half the damage. I liked it as a spell.

Arcane Explosion: I never used it. AoE damage should be quick to cast and beneficial in bigger packs… I think you need to massively simplify this rune.

Mana shield: Used it all the time, Perfect and easy to draw. You got this one spot on. Animation could be more obvious. A glow on the characters would help me to know that they have my shield.

Decurse: Easy to draw. Did not use it… Probably could have and probably will in serious raiding… Might need to be a bit easier to draw still though as a curse is usually something you have to remove FAST.

Affliction: My favourite by far spell. Drawing this spell was hit and miss for a while and sometimes when I think I have draw it perfectly it still doesn’t trigger. I love the animation (eery and clean). The mechanics are awesome… The stacking DoT on this is really the selling point. Please keep the stacking! its really fun to see the numbers melt the enemies face. Mainly in boss scenarios I found this to be the highest DPS as it takes time to ‘cook’.

Polymorph: difficult to draw as your ‘X’ and lines have to be quite perfect… and even then it does not trigger sometimes. Used it in dungeons and works well. Had 3 mages and we could all cast it perfectly fine. Chicken by default? Alright then ;).

Pushback: sometimes I could not get the ‘3’ right… Another one that could maybe be simplified?

Light: easy to draw. super useful in dark places. kinda cool.

Fireworks: kinda difficult to draw. I guess fun :relaxed:.

Teleporting: Okay so this is kinda big deal guys(!!11). Whenever I do step one for teleporting… I get the yellow glow for mass ressurection… I cannot get past step one on this spell so I really cannot give you any feedback… What I will say though is… If you do activate this spell… I would probably bring up a choice of step 3 spells in front of the players eyes to remind them of where to travel. No one has time to remember all the locations… especially if you end up having like 20… :smiley:

Mass Resurrection: We had atleast an hour of fun playing with this… We came to the conclusion that you can also replace the whole mass resurrection spell with a sort of ‘lazy’ version. Which is great… I like that after you figure out how the spell works you can lazify it with your own variation that works :). Do spells more like this… Less rigid but it ‘gets what you mean’.

Some thing I really hated: I think (and this is very opinionated) the spells casted by the mage are too slow…
why? because I have to wait for the spell to land before I start casting the next one. Controlling the direction of the spell is very cool… But I don’t think I should be able to do that for every spell type… Maybe only arcane once or some special damage spell for high movement fights.

Functional test notes for the Ranger

As fun as the mage but I struggled a little bit with learning how to fire the bow and arrow for maximum damage. I felt I had to stretch my arm properly to get it to fire but it was a little bit too intensive for a possible high damage rotation to take shape.

If I could just get that perfected then it would feel viable for raid instances… I love it though.

I felt there could be more choices than just a fire and poison arrow. Maybe some crowd control ability for the ranger would be cool too.

The most annoying thing was that aiming is hard and needs a lot of practice… There are 2 options I could think of… Increase the hitbox of the monsters prefab (WoW for example do this very well and give a little leeway in space around the monster to be able to damage it) OR make it so that the projectiles have a bigger hit box on their prefab instead :).

Fishing and mining/herbing
Seems pretty norms. I like it but as we do not know what that will be yet we cannot say much right? My suggestion is add a potion system and do some herbing system for that. Make potions individual buffs… Gathering more non-perishable less edible materials would be nice for some armour crafting… (Maybe something you could have soon?).

Oops my items i picked up were never stored in my bag.
At one point in this 24 hour period I saw that by bag was full and when I picked up items they were never kept there. Thats a pretty serious bug that needs fixing.

I am assuming we will be able to trade and sell items soon? What are you plans on this (my first question so far in this feedback thread :)). I have a lot of thoughts about it.

Nice first dungeon… But a few big bugs and comments
The dungeon was cool but…
I felt like there was a maximum of 30 enemies in there. We cleared the trash fast and the dungeon was very short…

The party system made it hard for me to see everyone’s health. I tried to keep buffs up… (as mentioned about mana shield) but i need to see a visual element for mana shield as the icons are too small.

The bosses kept randomly resetting and we couldn’t figure out why. It didn’t seem to be when a player dies and runs back or specifically where we tank the boss… but it was definitely very buggy.

We got to the last boss in the dungeon and he bugged out and we couldn’t kill him. Needs some attention for sure.

One of the mobs was stuck in the rocks in front of the first bosses room.

general usability

When I spoke to the NPCs for quests… The dialogue came up and was stuck to the world positioning not my camera positioning… This felt really awkward when trying to read quest text etc and accept something…

Picking up loot required me to rub and roll myself persistently until it went in my bag. Real annoying. you need to make look easy to gather maybe even making it as easy as pointing the vr controller at it.

It was not clear to me that to see stats of an item I had to long hold on it… Can you make it so that the stats come up as soon as you click an item.

Switching gear is really annoying… Can you make a gear set for each class?
This also means we have more immediate bag space.

Bugs
Movement speed via teleporting varied… I am not sure… But it felt like it was based on the server performance that movement speed via teleporting would change… I am sure this was not intended… movement speed also felt slightly too slow (maybe because of this?).

At one point I took my Oculus off to clean it and put it back on and I was stuck in the floor. I had to then play stuck in the floor until I died.

I saw people climbing up mountains with their swords… I think that we should be able to climb up mountains anyway but at least I was not able to with the standard movement system. May be a bug or intended mechanics.

Other thoughts and recommendations

• Can you add guilds?
  • Are you keeping the style of characters that you have now? I have seen games like VRChat for example which have a whole range of different characters with some auto rigging system (I think its an out the box unity thing partnered with a company called mixamo who handle this). I think the character style you have now is a little too bland for a VR experience and you can still do a lot with polishing that for sure.

I have a bunch more feedback but its just too pedantic for now as I am sure there is much higher business priority issues to resolves.

Cheers,
J

Good morning everyone! Thanks for all of the great feedback!

I’m pleased to report that it seems like (other than the bugs noted above) the server didn’t experience any major issues last night, such as crashes or anything like that. That’s great news for the progress of the game since it means we’re way more stable than I expected us to be at this point.

The servers will be up for around the next 4-5 hours. I will likely leave them up a little past the scheduled stop time but only by an hour or two.

Time to go through this thread and make some bug notes for my to do list now…haha.

1 Like

So it has always been “hovering” with your finger that was supposed to trigger the tooltip. It was just really unreliable before so I think people may have gotten the wrong idea of how to do it. Hovering should work 100% of the time now, though. We may end up changing that, though.

Wow, nice work! Noted on the apples not showing up.

Was it 10-15 Level 8 players? The difficulty target is 10 Level 8 players with probably like 2 tanks, 2-3 healers, and the rest various DPS classes. It’s intended to be something fairly difficult to do.

Whoops, yeah it should’t do that. Made a note. I’ll probably just add like a “hard timer” that won’t let it respawn after it’s killed for like 5 minutes or something anyway.[quote=“leotheshade, post:123, topic:1408”]
When I started out I was really frustrated because none of my runes would work, but once I had practiced for around 3 hours, it was second nature
[/quote]

Glad to hear it, that’s pretty much what we’re going for. I still may end up making like Fireball Lvl1 even easier to draw just because even total beginners need at least one spell they can cast, but quite frankly we are not going to be encouraging people who weren’t part of the Alpha/Beta to start leveling a Runemage as their first class right off the bat once the game launches. It’s meant to be the hardest class to get the hang of.

Yeah I kind of did this on purpose, haha. I may make it harder eventually but really it’s just the “time sink” of casting it + the cost of the reagent itself that is intended to be the difficult part on that one. Still, just drawing squiggly lines is probably too easy.

I assume you mean the spinning rocks from the Forest Golems that are getting stuck? Or was there something else?

1 Like

Yeah this was one of the casualties of making the recognition easier it seems…I’ll have to fix that.

So on the one hand, if you can figure out a shortcut, I think that’s fine. On the other hand, the whole point of the class is supposed to be like this “rigid practice of arcane knowledge to unlock massive power”. So it wouldn’t really fit with the flavor super well if it was like “your mage tutor shows you this precise rune, but I just made a squiggly line and it worked anyway!” That said, I think the addition in the next patch of us tying to some degree the effectiveness of the spell (e.g. damage caused) to the accuracy of your drawing it should give us the best of both worlds…you can take a lazier approach if you’re just wanting to get the spell to work at all, but if you want maximum damage you need to be more precise.

There will be many more choices once the Ranger rework comes down the pipe. Probably not next test but the one after. Same for Musketeer.

Again, like the Runemage, I’m going to say here, this is by design. You should have to get better at aiming to be better at the class, it’s a core mechanic. I can tell you having played with the bow and arrow system for 10+ hours myself I can reliably hit things pretty far away now. So it will come with practice.

Yeah it should definitely just put the loot bag back on the ground if you have no room in your inventory, making a note of that.

Player Trading was this close to making it in this test. I had like 90% of the code written but just ran out of time to test it all. So it should be in the next one. As far as selling goes, if you’re just trading with someone else you can barter goods or money however you see fit, obviously. I think the proximity voice chat is going to make that very interesting. Merchants will be able to take it a step further by having a Merchant Stall that they can lease in the market of major locations like the Starter Village, Guild City, etc. The advantage of the stall obviously is that you can set your prices and then it’s always there 24/7 selling goods for you. But I imagine people hawking wares just via the barter system will also play a role.

Is there anything else that you (or anyone else out there?) can give me on this one? I haven’t seen it happening and others were able to clear the dungeon so it must be something specific happening…were you standing really far away from the boss where it triggered his “you’re too far away from where I started so I’m leaving now” thing? When it reset were you able to start the fight again but it would just keep resetting, or once it reset was it just totally broken to where you couldn’t even damage the boss?

Yeah we’ll be re-doing this entirely once we start putting in the actual quests.

You should just have to pick up the loot bag and put it behind your head like you’re putting it into a backpack.

Yes gear sets will come eventually.

We’ll be adding hair and additional stuff like that, and updating the faces to be more expressive than just always the same expression, but we’re not going to be changing much else short-term. Long-term, who knows, maybe we’ll eventually add in a full body with IK and all that. But it’s pretty far down the list right now.

1 Like

So we disabled only the Menu button bringing up the menu (but not the finger swipe) because we had some people complain last test that they were accidentally hitting it while they were swinging their sword. Of course I realize now that was a dumb idea as long as the Stuck in Combat bug is still out there lurking, so we’ll revert that change for sure.

We had the final boss bug out. I think it was when there were people dead in the room, but the boss lost agro on the person who was alive. When our teammate came back to revive us, the boss was undamagable, and didn’t swing for us.

Totally agree with you. If you see the damage they do, they should be a much harder class to play. I played with it for a bit, thought it was pretty cool. Felt I could cast the main spells consistently, but I felt like it was too much work. :slight_smile:

I prefer the musketeer healer type.

1 Like

So you’re saying that they were teleporting more frequently than you were seeing them teleport on your screen? Was this only during combat or if you just stand still and tell them to teleport was it definitely happening all the time?

Yeah I mean based on your other posts it definitely seems like your connection to our server might have some major issues going on or something. Did you participate in any previous tests and have these issues?

The spinning rocks do get stuck a lot but there are tons of remaining spell, turret, and dead enemy artifacts that build up.

Currently we are on the final boss in the dungeon and he is registering good stalactite hits about half the time, then half the time when he does get stunned he isn’t doing the animation or immediately gets up and starts roaming again. He also just reset when we were right in the middle of the room. It went really smoothly yesterday though!