Alpha Test Feedback Thread 5/5/17

Is anyone having issues with seeing shields of other warriors? They seem to be slightly bugged today, mine shows with an empty blue bar & doesn’t go red as long as I don’t stamp it into the ground to make the large shield. Once the large shield despawns, the shield on my arm stays in the bugged state.

Also, dang. Playing Warrior really can tire you out quickly. Especially when compared to the Musketeer.

1 Like

it definitely has to do with deaths- all 15 people were constantly wiping and coming back. Next time I get a nice build up somewhere I will make sure to get you the log. Went through the dungeon again and didn’t have the issues we did earlier today. Though the first stun still only lasted a second maybe.

I don’t want to jump to conclusions and say it’s an orbus issue. I may just not notice in other games. The game is running fine now (Not trying pvp) but the dungeon run was fine.I switched out the ethernet cable and is stable. Not sure if that has a correlation or not. I’m always open to suggestions, but I’ll simply deal with it until a fix is found

The actual unity assets that you are using for reference runes need to be in the game somewhere. Ideally some kind of spellbook. Especially if you tighten up the casting again.

It would feel much more fair and rational when trying to match the angles and propertions from some kind of visual reference.

I tried about a hundred times to cast arcane explosion but no dice. I must be misunderstanding how it looks but I have no idea and nothing to compare to.

I know it’s not in game, but have you looked at: the runemage wiki page It has (under a spoilers tag) most of the currently included spells.

On a separate note, I seem to remember Riley saying that proportions were quite important, so maybe try messing around with spacing and angles.

Ok, so I figured out why pvp for me was so bad. The warrior only registers a hit with an extremely slow swing. Anything quick doesn’t register. It’s really nice to know the reason why it seemed like i was missing.

I had a lot of fun, I leveled up my runemage to lvl 8. Played for about 6.5 hours straight. My shoulder is killing me today.

Spells took a while to learn. Only 1 spell I could cast 100% of the time and that was mana shield. Resurrection and portal spells were about 95% for me. I never had an issue getting a different ritual which happened once out of 120 or so casts. I was surprised to see how many people would get a different ritual. There were a lot of times I would cast a fireball and get a mana shield or frostbolt. I tried the light spell 50+ times and could not get it and gave up, same with fireworks. Those spells were easy for a lot of people, so obviously the problem was me. Below I would say are my %'s on casting spells

Mana Sheild: 100%
Resurrection: 95%
Portal: 95%
Fireball: >80%
Frostbolt: >80%
Polymorph: >70%
Ice Lance: 25%
Affliction: 20% this spell was hit and miss, sometimes I ould get 3 or 4 in a row, sometimes I couldn’t cast it in 10 chances, I think I need more practice with this one
Arcane Explosion: 0% did it once by accident, but never worked on it
Arcane Ray: 0% did it a few times by accident, but never worked on it
Light: 0% tried it repeatedly and just couldn’t get it
Fireworks: 0% probably tried it 30 or so times and couldn’t get it and gave up since it doesn’t realize help you in game
Decurse: never tried it
Pushback: never tried it

Other items
-Died a few times since I didn’t know a monster was attacking me, wish my screen would turn red or something else to let me know I’m being attacked
-I hate if you attack a polymorph target it does 0 damage when it breaks them out of polymorph, don’t know if that is intended or bug
-Would like to see a stats bar with HP number, stats like spell power, hp, defense rating, etc, is there any plans for this in the future?
-Killed Elongata world boss and there was a lot of junk adds, turrets, and spells laying around everywhere as others have mentioned
-Sometimes spells get pretty loud and hard to hear anything else
-Wish my health bar was somewhere where I could see it. Very hard to see when I’m low on hp.
-No other spell is worth casting than fireball as frostbolt + icelance does not do more dmg than fireball, nor does affliction, but affliction can be used in situation instances to increase dps, affliction should hit harder imo
-Had some probelms looting bags as others had mentioned
-Would like to be able to put my wand away and reach back with my other hand to put the wand in that hand without having to open inventory
-It would be nice to see an outline of the spell for the first 2-3 times you cast it so you know what it looks for. This outline should appear after you complete a special quest or something. Just an idea

I would love to have a runemage simulator to play in to practice in drawing mage spells to develop the skill set.

1 Like

Your health bar is on your weapon.

OK! About spell casting. I agreed with @Riley_D from the beginning. It should take practice, practice, practice. After this test, I have to say, I still agree. Do not make it easier to cast! However, I feel you should make it easier to practice.
I think if you placed all level 1 spells in a circle around the training ground on a chest height sign, that would allow people to trace the runes and cast them perfectly, provided they don’t color outside the lines. I think that would stop the people who cant seem to get a cast to see that the system is not bugged. Once they trace the rune perfectly and see it ignites the spell every time they can no longer scream “I’m bugged!” or “The system is broken!”

Of course you should not do this for the higher level spells. I want the spell system to be rigid. The Runemage should be the more advanced class to play.

I will post later about the issues I found. I just wanted to get that of my chest. Thanks

2 Likes

Okay things will be shutting down in about 15 minutes!

Yes I know, but my weapon is always moving and hard to see at times, I shouldn’t have to look down and stop casting to see my health or that I’m dying.

Okay, that’s all for now! Hope you all had a blast!

Really awesome test! Had a great time fighting mobs and fighting spells :stuck_out_tongue:

Also teaming up with multiple people was a fun part of the game :slight_smile:

The most noticeable problems I found:

• The stuck in combat thing is still a very annoying problem.
  • sometimes mobs get glitched out and just keep standing still unhittable. This happened more frequently in the dungeon. Including the last boss.
  • The first part of the teleportation spell gets confused with the first part of the resurrection spell quite often. Then you have to wait for the wrong spell to disappear to retry it.
2 Likes
  • I think placing the shield of the warrior on the ground should happen if a button is pressed. Because a glitchy controller or sitting/blocking low can accidentally activate the shield.
  • Other thing with the warrior is that it seems impossible to block the attacks of the first boss of the dungeon, and you have to basically bring the shield to the ground to block the tong mob.
  • Musketeer’s turret is also glitching sometimes. And they make a lot of annoying noise when they do glitch… This is mostly notable in the dungeon.
1 Like

I do like this idea in general, because I think it would be pretty easy to just stand in front of a sign with the rune on it and get it to cast properly. However, this is a bit of a problem from a lore standpoint, as there would not be signs just lying around with this information on them.

Other people have suggested a spellbook and that’s something else I’m considering.

It may be that in the short-term we just do something like the signs because we don’t have anything else in the game yet, but I agree with your sentiment that “it should be easier to practice and know what you’re doing wrong” than it is right now.

4 Likes

I see a few blurbs describing different factions on the website but I can’t seem to find any real detail regarding the lore people keep talking about. Is there a place I can go that details the lore? It may make it easier to give suggestions if I were well versed in the lore. Perhaps have the practice grounds located in a place were “rebel casters” congregate, or what ever the lore says about them. There must be someplace where casters go to learn to be casters.
Or regarding the spellbook. That would work if the mage had a way of making the spellbook hover in front of them motionless, so they can trace and practice.

On making it easier to “practice”

If you wanted to keep the “people teaching each other feel”:

you could maybe introduce a “tutorial” mode where you could make your spellcasts visible to others (maybe party members only) but have them do no damage.

That way the players could show each other what works for them and also see what people are casting and provide feedback on where the rune has gone awry.

Or if not a toggle-able mode, maybe a building like a wizard school type dealie where the spellcasts can be seen?

My Experience during this test:

I’m not going to go over most things I noticed since they have been discussed in detail by others, but a few things worth mentioning are:

The teleport system still has tracking issues over uneven ground. It IS better but, still needs work.

Latency. During the first test I found it ran smooth as butter. During this test I immediately noticed the game skipping and stuttering. I asked others if it were just me and they all said they noticed it too. It wasn’t so bad as to make the game unplayable by any means but it did make hitting moving targets a bit tougher. I don’t believe it had anything to do with the number of people around since, during the first test, I was in game with 50 others and had no issue what so ever. During this test there were times I was in game with less than half that number and I had issues.

There were far less creatures stuck on mountains or in other terrain bugging out, but there were still quite a few. In dungeon I noticed mobs in walls and hidden from view. If you didn’t know they were there it would pose quite the problem.
The bugging out of the bosses that others were talking about seemed to come from players being too close to walls and when threat transferred to them it made them unpathable so it would bug and reset. Not sure if that was indeed the case but, when I ran it, we were careful to avoid that and it went perfectly fine.

Monsters sneaking up on you and biting you in the arse with nothing but a faint hitting noise isn’t enough of a warning. I think some sort of clear indicator that you have threat from something would be ideal.

Spell casting issues, I believe were all do to you making it easier to cast. I went into detail on my thoughts about catering to the I want it now and easy crowd. So enough said there.

I wasn’t going to talk about issues with other classes since they were not the focus of this test but I do want to comment on the warrior. I think the traversing terrain with sword throw should probably be limited to the sword landing only on walkable terrain. So if you throw into the side of the mountain it just cancels the throw all together. Also probably make the cooldown on sword throw only activate when you teleport to the sword not when you throw it. That way, when you have a bad throw you can immediately try again.

Teleporting other people that are away from game should be made impossible. Perhaps make it so entering a portal, even if on top of you, would require some sort of movement on my part. That will put a stop to the idiots who think its funny to teleport a level one to the spiders and let them die.

All other issues seems to have been covered already. If I remember any more issues that weren’t covered by others, I’ll let you know.

OH! Could you please add a map of the land? Not necessarily in game. I would be fine with a map on the website. It would help immensely if I could see the layout.

Thanks

1 Like

By that do you mean you were getting juddering / tuning fork? Or that the lighthouses or loading screen kept appearing?

I was getting the loading screen flickering in front of me from time to time, not too often though, but also the creatures would occasionally jump to a location instead of pathing to it. Like a lag spike.