Arrow Sight not working

I have tested my damage from various distances with and without the arrow sight talent and I have found no difference in the damage I do.

Are you sure you’re at 40m? When you take the shot, below the globes you’ll see (S/M/L) // ## where the letter is the size of your target and ## is the range in meters of your shot. The big number is your shot score that determines globe generation. If you are shooting from 40m you should be getting the 20% damage bonus

I was testing this last night and I was unable to see a damage difference. I tested above 40 and saw no difference, and then I tried to test farther but I couldn’t see the damage numbers. I was going to try it again tonight with a better layout to try to record the test so I can zoom in after.

Or maybe have a friend stand next to a training dummy and help you out by calling out the numbers at various ranges?

“Get a friend to stand next to the target”

Ah, things only advisable in VR.

5 Likes

I tried again. Even with recording and looking later the damage numbers are unreadable from that range so I can’t be sure what it was doing.

@Cowboy

when you say “shot score” do you mean the damage done to the target or is this number totally different? And if it is separate from damage what score is needed to generate each tier of globe?

Ok so shot score is different for different mob sizes. For Sentry you only need a shot score of 20 to generate globes, but on training dummies and other small targets you need a score of 35. The shot score you see in big numbers below the globes is a function of your target size and shot range, and totally independent from the amount of damage dealt. I don’t know the math behind it, but on every type of mob there’s a threshold you have to pass to start generating globes.

If the number below the globes is the distance, as I’ve understood it to be, then I can also attest to Arrow Sight’s damage bonus not working. If there’s some other way we’re supposed to judge distances, I’ll need to do more testing.

Thanks…

I do wish they had a damage meter also, rather than so far away you can’t read it. Even If I can toggle a damage meter on and off and have it display as a running log on the hmd.

Or even an option to record a combat log… of course then you’d end up with log parsers putting out dps meters. That’s something I’d personally love to see as I love comparing myself to everyone else to gauge how successfully I’m playing, but it’s also something I’m guessing the devs would prefer to avoid as long as possible.

The wiki says its 10%. Is it supposed to be 20%? @Riley_D

The wiki says 10% and it’s actually 10% in game, i tested it.
Who said 20% has probably read the first blog post about talents when the numbers weren’t balanced yet.

3 Likes

I don’t worry too much about it anyway because 40m is impractical

@Cowboy , impractical? How?

If I’m reading the meter on the side correctly, 55-65m is what I usually shoot at and this helps in solo play bc I can defeat the enemy by time they get within the 5m mark… 1-2 will slip by and hit me, should I miss a shot.

Perhaps I misunderstood your reply?

Are you looking at shot score or range? Range is the number next to target size, just to the right of the “//” under your globes. Shot score is the biggest number at the very bottom.

The number next to the size of the target, in this case “59” is the distance. I have shot a few mobs at 62, 65 but they rarely trigger beyond 60. I think 60 is the max. So I usually start my shot in the 50-60m range with a charged poison arrow. The next shot is a piercing arrow, followed by me throwing my trap out. Then its a regular shot and then a charged piercing arrow… then speed shots to finish the beast. If needed another poison or piercing arrow if its available.

Sorry for crappy pic.

My fault for not being thorough: long shots in solo encounters are no problem for the first few shots, but in end-game dungeon fights you rarely have the chance to shoot at such distances. I haven’t played solo ranger in a while.

Indeed, those ranges are fine for the first couple shots in solo play… but there are fights where I’m hard pressed to stay at orb generating ranges, let alone more than double that range.

The “multishot” talent, which now actually just empowers a single shot, is simply superior. It’s spikier due to the RNG of it, but works at all distances and under any conditions.

I suppose while I’m on the topic of ranger talents, I should also note that between the final two talents the quick shot tree version that consumes orbs is actually a dps loss to take. I gained around 1970 damage on my charged shot (~21% increase) from consuming 5 orbs, but end up losing a bit over 2k damage on my next 5 regular attacks building those orbs back up. You’re going to be breaking even at best with this talent.

On the other hand, the snipe shot version allows full uptime on orbs AND gives a 6th that gives 7% additional damage. I didn’t even have to factor in faster orb generation to see that this talent is far superior.

I found the same thing in my testing. My take on it is that (based on my theorycrafting and tests) if you can stay at globe range throughout the entire encounter, the total damage should be virtually the same. If you’re under globe range for the entire fight, the total damage is the same by default, since both talents depend on globe generation… But in fights where you lose globes and regain them, like Mutated Worm or Sentry, Globe Master pulls ahead.

The recent change to Overcharge was generous enough that most people won’t see a dramatic difference in damage, but with higher burst damage than Globe Master, it’s better suited for single target fights.

In truth, a Ranger’s crit stats and rotation choices will have more dramatic impacts on DPS than this talent, so if you like 29k crits, feel free to use Overcharge.

Edit: it’s also important to consider the implications of Precision vs Rapidity in this talent choice. With Precision, since one shot does more damage the Globe Master talent wins on DPS, but with Rapidity globe generation is faster and the basic attacks have a lower damage value, so the difference in the number of globes after Overcharge is used is mitigated more than with Precision, so I’d also say Globe Master is more appropriate for Precision while Overcharge has a chance to shine with Rapidity.