Baffled Noob, please help. Leveling question

First off Ive read the other posts complaining about the leveling system but I would honestly like someone to explain it to me. I say this because I suspect im probably playing the game wrong. Ive had the game for almost a full week, my Scoundrel is at lvl 15 and my Warrior is at lvl 10. I ran out of my daily quests and decided to buy the new Story Pack mission. Its a really cool idea btw, not to give away any spoilers. I started playing with my Warrior looking to grind some xp. The enemies were dunking on me so I switched to my Scoundrel and the balance felt better. I'm currently in the Hollows Creek portion of the Story Pack and all of a sudden all my enemies are rated Impossible. I cant even navigate the map without getting annihilated. Ive noticed this in the normal game mode as well. I do a mission from Darius and level up, I pick up another mission and its located in a part of the map I cant even compete on. 
 So my question is,.. am I playing the game wrong? Are the enemies more difficult in zones? Are they supposed to scale to your level? As far as the Story Pack goes, are we meant to complete it over a period of time while taking breaks to grind and get stronger? I guess im just trying to understand the mechanic so I can maximize my grind. I bought the Oculus Quest for this game specifically and I enjoy it a lot. Im a big fan of the Devs, the community, the youtubers, its awesome meeting you guys in game. I'm just trying to be less confused. Thanks!

Different zones have different base levels of the enemies. By level scaling, it means enemies will never be more than 4 levels above or 6 levels below you. This means if you go to the wastelands as a level 15, where enemies are level 30, they act to you like they’re level 19. Likewise, enemies in Highsteppe will act to you like they’re level 9.

You’re playing the game right, you just have to continue leveling if you want them to drop in difficulty.

1 Like

Thanks, that makes more sense. I guess im just wondering why
I was on one quest in the Story Pack and the enemies were at “Same Lvl”, the next quest they’re at “Impossible”. The story hasn’t moved from Highsteppe yet. I’m not sure if i need to pause the mission and try to gain more levels before continuing? Much like D&D, if you take too many breaks away from the main story it loses its momentum. Either way the game is great, I just got a bit tilted when I couldn’t continue the story and find out what happens.

There are some enemies that do not scale. This is indicated by white brackets around the difficulty indicator. There’s a few spots in Highsteppe where the enemies are fairly high level.

1 Like

The story pack is not really targeting new players, but those who finished the base game with the last area addressed to level 30s, so it’s fine if you do it piece by piece.
In the base game you got the story missions (in your journal) which are just for fun, they don’t or barely give xp. To level up you need to do all the missions which you get from npcs (the ones not in the journal, but in your mission tab), soon you will have daily and weekly missions also.

Strategy: At the beginning best put all xp on one class, not 2, until it is 30. Then you can get and do all missions with your 30 if they are too hard for your lower classes, before you turn them in switch to your lower class and level this one with the xp you get from turning in.

Events: The fastest way to level is not only via missions, but events which you should do parallel, check out all the events going on in the area you can already easily go to (guess Highsteppe, Rainforest and possibly Lamavora are already fine).
Here is a tracker for events: https://armory.orbus.xyz/#/publicevents

(Check out what you can do already, Knights Fort in Lamavora for example is likely too hard to solo for you while Essence Mine or Defend the Castle are likely well possible. Also you can do mostly 2 of these in a batch, ex. HS - Defend the Gate and Obnobi Camp are that long that you can do another event before these end.)

PS: Btw the formatting of your first post looks broken, I have to scroll sideways to read anything and ended up copying it into a texteditor to read it at all… you can likely edit that and remove the formatting tags if there are any.

1 Like

Metris explained things very well, but I would add that you get 5 tickets for “new” quests each day. You can use the tickets to get quests of whatever type you like. If you like to fight get the quests from Darius. If you like to fish talk to the chef, if you just wanna get XP as easily as possible get the critter capture quests.

The “tickets” are represented in game by a little green cross with the number of tickets you currently have in the dialogue panel of each questgiver. (ie Darius)

Tickets ONLY give you quests that you have already earned and completed as level quests… so if you let the quests that you are having difficulty with remain in your log incomplete, but turn in the quests that you were able to complete, the pool of quests that you draw from when using a ticket will always be something you can handle and are familiar with.

You get 5 tickets per day, but you can never hold more than 25 tickets… so consider that when you log in. If I know I am not going to be logging to play much in any given week I will make sure to at least log in and use whatever tickets I have. Once you convert the tickets to quests you can accumulate tickets again. So… for instance… If I won’t be playing much for a couple weeks I will log in and use 25 tickets to get critter capture quests, and then leave them undone and then come back in 5 days and and use 25 tickets to buy Darius quests…

…eventually I get all of the quests available from a particular vendor…then I control the quest pool. Only the quests I choose to do will be exchanged for tickets… So if I get all the quests available from Cenn and only turn in the quests that require me to capture mice in the basement…then the next time I use a ticket with Cenn I will be guaranteed to get the quests capturing mice in the basement. It is a little hard to explain, but once you start spending your tickets it will all make sense pretty fast.

1 Like

@Ken
@Metris_Marshmallow

I appreciate the detailed responses. Things make a lot more sense now. I initially thought that leveling a DPS and a Tank would make me more versatile in Dungeons. There’s a lot to this game and I think that’s what really keeps my interest. BTW, I’m not sure who’s throwing down the XP bombs on the weekend but I want to thank them as well.
I’m not sure why the format is jacked up on my post. Not sure exactly how to fix it. Anyway, this community rocks. I look forward to seeing. You guys around. TY,

2 Likes

Another thing I’d like to add (not sure if anyone else did, I just skimmed through): The game is honestly designed to have 1 master class that you level up without working on any other classes. It doesn’t really support leveling two classes at the same time. I suggest sticking to one class and playing the game that way. I’d work on daily missions on your highest level and get them caught up to the content you’re struggling with then continuing with the game leveling only that class. It’s a poorly designed system imo but oh well.

2 Likes

Ya that’s the basic impression I was given. For someone who is used to solo grinding, having an additional class can help in certain situations. I’ve also realized you basically have to ask for assistance to complete some missions. It’s been a humbling experience lol, to say the least. Anyway, I deleted my old account earlier and made a new one to focus solely on one class. I think this was a good move and good advise. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Well well well the deletion is a real extreme and unnecessary step… you get unlimited xp from events anyway, so that second class on 10 would not have hurt you, at all, these few xp on this one you get back from only a couple events with your other character and later on you will level the other classes you want to play anyway! I got all classes on 30 and if you know how it takes less than a week to level 1-30, just with doing events and daily quests. With all regular quests it could be done even faster, though, during the beta week some did it on a weekend, 1-2 days.
So if you start over and focus on one you will note a bit smoother transfer from 15-20 but that is all, it’s not much advantage… because with 15 you were already able to do events in 3 zones which gives you the missing xp in no time.

And sure in the end of day to be more versatile you will have several classes, some areas are fine to grind with shaman, others are better with a ranged dps and again others I just wanna cross without fuzz there I use my healer to run through, others use the paladin to be faster since it can “hammer” portal through zones.
The mage is good for making portals at least, even if you don’t play it and you don’t want to have him on lvl 1 so not all mobs around aggro on you when you make a portal etc. So in the end you will want many classes, not only your main one, only in the beginning focus is a good idea until you unlocked all quests (you will likely not use them all up before hitting 30, but can put the rest already on another class and do dailies/weeklies parallel as well).

1 Like

I realized that I wanted to play a different class from the beginning that’s why I started over. It’s a great game.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.