Beta 2 Shaman Feedback

i think this one just takes a bit of practice. i like throwing underhand, it helps a lot i feel. I’m able to hit mobs at pretty much the max distance for the orbs before they dissapear… though it would be nice if there was a slight homing feature added to the orbs so that if you are ‘close enough’ it would hit instead of just rolling past them a foot away.

1 Like

I love the class but it’s WAY too up close for practical work and the mechanic for throwing is exhausting. I didn’t have any luck with the iron man thing either. Couldn’t make it work. I’ll try that again. It’s hard to aim that throw as you have no guide at all. I’d prefer some type of wand/launder mechanism to get it ranged a bit more. I get that it’s a medium range class, but right now its basically somewhere in the melee range or randomly heaving stuff and hoping they hit. For me, if I tagged one at distance it was unlikely that I would land the next shot making it toe to toe combat wearing low level armor. Great AI on the enemies but I do notice they also seem to teleport a bit, making it hard to swivel in time and get an attack ready. They come at you at normal speed, then get hit by your lava totem or frost totem, and it seems like they re-position to avoid it at the blink of an eye, and you have to figure out where they went and re-position at normal speed. A bit like those felids who can basically teleport through a fireball when they charge. Great class though.

2 Likes

I second that, after playing it some more I can’t go on with it, shoulder issues… throwing out totems and - these are the main prob - the balls feels like fishing throwing out lures in a one-second or less pattern and orbs simply don’t hit mobs far away, pulling from afar is still a dream. I like really like the shaman class, actually, so many possibilities. Being on the lower end of fitness there’s already the warrior class I can’t play due to physical issues, hope that’s not the second one :confused:

We’re trying to avoid the arm exhaustion thing having learned our lesson with the Warrior, hence the Iron Man auto-launch mechanic. Is that just not working for you?

I will say again, though, it’s meant to be a medium-range class. So if you are standing back as far as a Runemage or a Ranger would and attempting to hit stuff, it’s probably not going to be easy to do.

I tried it many times with releasing the trigger it is not possible to aim properly without tilting the hand alot until it hurts, also if I dont physically “throw” it, it hardly flies 2m. Xicor seemed to have figured it out but I dont think I can… as for medium range not sure if I am too far away, if I am already in aggro range theres no need to throw, though, mobs come already running.

I couldn’t make the iron man work, but I may just be not doing it right. I’ll try again tonight. I’m 58 and a bit shoulder challenged, but I ranged to 20, I just adapted my hold stance. I’ll work some more with different ways of lobbing orbs, see if I can get it. I think you are very close with the class for a first iteration. I’m on a GTX1060 3gb and an I7 2600 (I think that’s the model, I forget) and it’s super smooth even at world events. Good work, Sir!

I tried Shaman for a while, i think it’s a very cool class. The only thing that annoyed me a lot is how quickly the totem disappear, why not letting them stay on the ground for as long as a musketeer turret?

I have played only shaman and bard this beta. I have got used to the iron man and throwing normally. Compared to rapidity ranger its nothing. You don’t need much energy to throw the orbs. I have found that they work best alone or in small groups because in large groups their orbs get blocked by other people. This is easily fixed by the party planning the positions of the classes so it’s not a problem. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of feedback for hitting multiple enemies with lightning.

so the things i saw with the ‘iron man’

1. it goes in the direction your palm is facing, which can be kindof an annoying position depending on what type of controller you are using
  2. it doesn’t launch nearly far enough to be useful compared to actually throwing which can max out the distance.
  3. it feels like it isnt consistent? maybe that just goes along with 1, but for me it seemed like it had some randomness added to it.
1 Like

Iron man would be better if it just launched forward but that might be too easy to spam

if it did that though, you wouldnt be able to aim it.

I mean forward from your fingers like where you point your hands

Ok, it works. Not bad, but the awkward angle makes it hard to launch forward. I don’t know how Vive is, but we can point on the Rift, and I feel like THAT would be the best aiming situation. I’m fine with the distance, provided I can manually lob one further when I need it. Again, this class seems to have mage and ranger type armor stats, and really needs more melee level stats or something. Maybe when shield totem is working that will be good enough.

A few things of note:
• The “iorn man” style of throwing is very uncomfortable on the vive. Felt like I had to bend my hand back too far, and felt a little off center.
• The shamen desperately needs something to do during the down time between orbes. I would recommend some kind of charge mechanic to boost some of the damage.
• I would like to see a magnetize or aoe blast damage on the orbs. You need to be melee distance, because the class is so high burst, if you miss a shot you loose so much damage, so you cant miss.
• The totems need to go on a different spot on the belt. I grabbed a totem so many times trying to grab an orb.

I understand wanting it to be a medium range class, but that could be done by increasing damage based on how close you are to the enemy and add a bit of reduction the further you are away. Making the orbs launch larger distances could help also. I feel it should do very well from close to medium range but we shouldn’t be punished too much if we have to go farther.

I’m about level 14 now and have messed around about 10h with the class

-The iron man fireing thing is a bit confusing as the image of your hand is crooked when holding the orb and not strait, making it hard to aim without practise.

+Ball tos was much nicer and not to straining. Had a nice feeling.

+Totally like the almost melee feel to it as you get close and personal with the different totems, pegging the enemies, and then rushing back to grab the orbs to fling them into battle, and then back to move the peg totems as the boss or mob groups move.

Feels both easy and fun

Good work with this one.

Okay so I’ve been playing Shaman for like an hour or two, the damage output is high which is awesome, I have to agree with most of the feedback that has been given so far.

It feels closer to a melee-short ranged to me than a medium range, I’ve played around with throwing and the iron-man launching method and have to agree with the need of magnetism or something, I’ve had them just roll past enemies just barely out of range, I can see the range as an issue in raids, and possibly dungeons though less likely in dungeons, though that is based on the current raids and dungeons we have in current Orbus, so who knows.

Something that hasn’t really been said yet, fighting on hills is pretty bad, you get really bad distance on throws up hill so you need to keep running to the other side of the mobs to make sure you have the high ground -insert meme- Thorwing/Launching orbs down hill is a lot better.

I personally would love to see something in the settings to change the angle on weapons, as a mage using Oculus Touch controllers my wands “natural” casting position is at an angle around 45 degrees so I end up bending my wrist or having my arm locked in a uncomfortable position to cast spells and aim them at the same time, the iron-man style launching is a similar thing. On some of the shooter games I played on steam have options with preset angles to choose from (Space Pirate Trainer) or a slider bar to change the angle to something custom that works for you (The Brookhaven Experiment) which both worked really well and made the games more comfortable to play.

Another thing I noticed is that my stun orb stops spawning on top of the totem, this has happened multiple times now, this orb is the one that does it the most, dropping the totem makes it spawn again but it can get a little annoying when you need it, as others have stated, dropping the totems on top of current totems or your dragon makes them sit on top or bounce off and land somewhere other than where you want it, this really needs to be changed so they go through to replace the current ones and that they don’t interact with the dragons.

1 Like

Well since most mob’s attacks can be dodged I got plenty to do already, basically “dancing” around my orb-totems to not be targeted, only pausing my movement once these are ready to grab them :wink:
Except when fighting very easy mobs there is no reason to stand in one place and wait.

After playing shaman for a little bit I feel as if totems don’t last very long once deployed and the range of throwing is pretty low, Normally I would have to get into aggro range to drop totems for them to be in range.
Personally I would prefer if the throw mechanic would be aimed by where your control was pointed not by where your palm is facing, Other then this I think shaman is a pretty fun and well thought out class!
Hopefully we could maybe see some healing type of totem in the future?

on this note, i think it would be kindof cool to be able to be a sort of off-heal, dmg class if you bring the correct totems… though i know the devs want the shaman to be a dps class.