Beta 2 Shaman Feedback

Personally, I would argue against any magnetism on the orbs once thrown. I consider learning the mechanics of the calsses and getting better at doing them physically a big part of Orbus. I don’t really want a crutch put in for the orbs just because we haven’t become experts at them yet.

What I think would be a nice compromise would be if you hit an enemy dead on it does the full damage against just that one (or three nearby for lightning). If you miss, then either when it hits the ground or when a timer expires it could explode with probably the same aoe range as a musky orb. This could either be a single target damage/effects to the closest enemy, or hit everything in range for reduced damage/effects.
With this, a near miss can still be useful and even tactical in come cases and still help push the player to improve to get those perfect shots.

1 Like

I enjoyed playing shaman.

Shaman feedback:

-I don’t think totems should disappear until you put new ones down, they should refresh in the time they do now
-I think they orbs should be “magnetized” or have a small aoe so it is easier to hit your target
-I could never get the iron man thing to work, I’m on a vive
-Would like to see a poison totem, cleansing totem, and maybe a healing totem
-I would recommend changing the mask weapon to a skull or feathers for less confusion

4 Likes

So after playing a couple hours of shaman last night I really found myself enjoying the class but I could definitely think of a few things that might be worth trying. I don’t think the AOE totems are very engaging. I feel a lot could be done with the totems to keep players engaged and having fun. I was toying with the idea of you having to combine different totem orbs to debuff your enemy or enhance your damage. Here are some examples; you have fire in one hand and lightning in the other but if you put them together that creates plasma orb doing more damage than both the lightning and fire orb combined individually, this will make the risk reward of hitting with one orb much higher versus throwing two orbs but if you miss with the plasma orb ouch massive dps loss. The other idea I had was with the stun totem could be renamed to water totem, this would fit the style of the class a lot better. The water orb could be used for small AOE damage that would also make the lightning orbs do AOE damage if the water debuff was on the mobs pack, this would make you change your fighting style when facing of with multiple mobs vs single target plasma spam. The water totem orb could also be combined with lightning orb create the stun of the current stun totem, or combine it with fire to create the steam AOE taking the place of the lava totem. Just thinking about that multiple mob combat sounds awesome. Example throw a water orb to give all the mobs in the area a water debuff, use the lightning orb to AOE them and use fire and water orbs combined for a AOE steam attack reapplying the water debuff as required. I just feel that this use once and forget of the AOE totems add nothing to the game play I would rather be combining and throwing orbs and i think there is a lot of potential here for something great with the totem orb mechanic. These are just my thoughts.

1 Like

All right, got Sharman to 15 :wink:
Group tactic
lava, fros (aoe)
fire, elektrisity (toss orbs)

Get close toss aoe at tank, move back, place orb creator, toss orbs, and circle back to replace aoe if tank moves, and repeat.

Single player skip aoe, add stun and frog-maker.
Could take most groups solo, so it’s a strong class pve

Now the mid range is really noticeable in pvp.
Easy to dodge tossed balls at long range, and you need to get the aoe on others to do proper damage. The totem orbs are locked in place, so you can’t charge forword as a warier, instead you need to retreat, toss out you AOE’s to make them pick a path and then sit there and wait with you orbs to toss at just the right time.

Bug:
Grabbed Totem orbs tend to disappear if you teleport to far, so chaising is… harder then it should be

I played the beta for 5 hours, almost exclusively shaman to lvl 6. Here are my most important findings:

1. The class base concept of dropping totems and throwing orbs/totems is very fun. Kudos
  2. Our own totems blocking our own orbs but also the arrows of our group member archer was a real pain! Glad to see that fixed
  3. Hex needs a big rework. In it’s current form it’s kinda pointless. The area is so huge you cannot use it to take out 1 or 2 mobs out of the equation. I tried using it alot as cc and in different groups but nothing worked out properly. Since mobs come together mostly and keep moving in many cases your hex totem always affects all mobs or none. This causes the health to reset for the mobs already engaged and gets everyone in the group complainting. As solo player it basically resets your fight which doesn’t get you closer to killing the mobs. You still die to 2 mobs as you cannot take one out and the hex timer is way too short for that anyway. A much better way would be that it spawns an orb like the other totems and the first single target that orb hits is hexed for e.g 30 seconds. If you still want to make it viable aoe cc, allow 2 or 3 hexed targets to exist or something. This would enable a skilled orb thrower to function as battlefield controller
  4. Totems that spawn orbs often don’t drop properly. They bounce off eachother and on certain grass surfaces they don’t drop at all but keep hanging in the air, not spawning any orbs but stay in a state of “still waiting to be thrown” despite being thrown down properly. 1 meter further on a clear surface without that grass they drop perfectly and this problem does not happen so it must be related to that specific surface.
  5. Totems could be a tad smaller in diameter. It’s hard to drop them properly and keep track of all with a 110° FOV headset. Making them smaller allows for us to drop them next to each other clearer and more distinguishable while stil being within the FOV. Right now they often end up half into each other.
  6. Consider allowing us to use 2 more slots of totems and then adding healing totems. Right now there’s not enough depth into the active playstyle. I mean after 5 hours you become really fast at throwing a debuff totem and 3 balls and that’s it, you’re down to waiting out the CD on orbs unless mobs force you to move away to avoid their special attack. More totem slots and therefore orbs would allow for more millisecond decisions and tactics up to the point where even as a fast thrower you are kind of kept busy nonstop
  7. Often encounters force you to ‘re-locate’ yourself permanently right after dropping your totems which kills your dps and functionality completely. Faster totem and orb respawn timers would allow you to mitigate that because even if the respawn timers would be instant it still takes alot of time to move to a new spot and drop all your totems all over in a that spot and then wait all the orb spawn timers again before you are back in business whereas a mage would simply move while casting and never be out of the fight at all

Those are the most important things I can think of after this “shady shammy” weekend :slight_smile: Keep up the good work devs.

1. Oh and totems should stay alive alot longer before dissapearing because right now for every encounter we need to drop em all over or they will time out mid-fight while the archer next to you doesn’t need to recast anything to be ‘read to pull and fight the next pack’
1 Like

This isn’t new in the latest beta, but I wasn’t around last time so I’m sharing my thoughts now:

• Shaman need SOMETHING to do besides wait for orbs. I’m actually loving the throwing mechanics (takes some getting used to) and the theming, but I’m constantly finding myself just… standing there with my hand over my totem. Point my finger at someone and mark them for my next shot for a damage boost. Tap the totem to make it faster. I’m not sure. Just don’t make me wait 5 seconds to be relevant again.
  • Really wish shield were implemented. It could have been great to see it in action.
  • There’s too much finickiness with totem drops. I’ve dropped totems on flowers, invisible floors, and other totems and sat there wondering why my orbs aren’t spawning.
  • Speaking of orbs not spawning, my orbs randomly stop spawning sometimes. Totem is still there, but the seconds tick by with no orb.
  • Speaking of no orbs, I’d love to be able to grab orbs without having to actually stick my hand in them. I’m a super powerful Shaman. I should be able to harness the power of my mystic totems with a little more flexibility.
  • Finally, can we lean into the AoE thing by making orbs explode instead of roll? Rolling orbs are also just ugly and weird. Shaman need a little more AoE power from their lava and frost too. They’re wildly outshone by Arcane Missile right now.

Hi Orbus team,

Not sure if this was already brought up, but
when you have your disc mount equipped it causes problems when you place two totems down at the same time before combat.

Beta is a ton of fun so far!

One big suggestion: speed totem (increase stamina in a radius for allies).

I found the totem arrangement on your waist awkward. It was easy to incorrectly grab a tool or active totem orb effect when reaching for a new totem or vice versa.

On possible suggestion:
Make the 4 equipped totems orbit your left hand almost like jumbo charms on a charm bracelet. Grab with right, throw them down. Could also still grab active totem orbs with each hand.

please no orbiting totems… I really wish the orbs on muskies gun wouldn’t rotate, it makes it harder than it needs to be as you don’t know where the orb you are waiting for is going to pop up or you have to rotate your gun to get the orb sometimes, I’d much prefer it to be static so you know exactly where they will be, like 1 above to the left, 1 upper right, 1 under to the left and last under to the right or something

1 Like