Beta 4 Feedback: Highsteppe & Overworld Zones

Directional signs is something Im currently working on, I will also move the Critter Capture NPC to the shop nearest the player house for easier use but wont be in until we do an update.

edit: also planning on adding more NPCs and life to highsteppe in a final polish round

2 Likes

This dude was the hardest one for me to find, I knew where he was but I just kept going past him some how, so thank you!

With the latest patch to get the dungeons fixed Critter capture (Cenn) is moved next to the player house to try and make it easier to find (The point of interest on the compass is also correct), and I started adding in some additional signs for all the missions NPCs. That being said i noticed i left one sign floating in the air near the Salvaging shop near airship dock, this will be removed and i will continue to add some additional signs/paths/waypoints to try and make Highsteppe easier to navigate.

6 Likes

The whole world is pretty, but the area by the dev boss is downright gorgeous. I love the verticality and sense of height and I think it’s the kind of environment that’s going to become a mainstay of VR RPGs.

Few things:

• I hope proper maps are in the works. Otherwise, I don’t see myself ever really getting my bearings.
  • There’s a few places in the jungle where you can just teleport into the water.

I ran around in HS lots trying doors before giving up and using the portal stone… it all looks same. The vendors are easier to find now with the signs, but if I can’t find my home my dragons will starve :cry:

1 Like

While I really like the way that the wastelands looks, probably one of my favourites so far, the mob placement/packs are however super painful, everything seems to be in packs of 3-5, as a solo level 25 Ranger I’m having a real hard time here, my gear is super broken and there is no where to repair so every time I die I then have to run back through the area as a level 1 to grab my grave before I can try again which is annoying.

Some of the packs show as green triangles but they are wrecking me, I’ve been trapping the melee mobs, taking out the mage as you can’t seem to dodge the fireball at all, and then trying to take out the gun user before the melee guy becomes untrapped but most of the time it’s not enough and I’m dead, I pretty much can’t do the kill quests here without a group which is a shame really

The mage teleport for “Cut Throat Forest” doesn’t work when you put the hour glass rune in at the end, the spell just disappears and uses up the reagent, also the symbol on the stone is backwards

“Highsteppe Market” teleport takes you to the “Fellowship Court” I think it would be good if it took you to the underground AH for quick and easy access to the AH

“Highsteppe Gate” Takes you to “Fellowship Court” I think it would be good to have this at the gate where the player house is so you can quickly get back when your home teleport is on cooldown

“Knight’s Fort” teleport still doesn’t let you teleport to it, it still uses a reagent, can teleport from it though

There is pathing issues when sliding close to the edge of the bridges in Highsteppe leading out from the middle of the tree where you end up sliding down the outside of the tree until you get stuck, made a quick video to show:

3 Likes

This is my first time in the beta and the zones look great.

The main issue I see is they feel very empty with not a lot of mob diversity. It was a bit disheartening when I first walk in the jungle zone just to see more of the same mobs.

I’m sure this may have already been brought up, but I miss seeing different type of animals, creatures, bandits, etc. Also I really like seeing the huge mob with two trees for weapons. It would be great to have different types of “world boss” type mobs. Makes the area feel dangerous and exotic.

Other than that, the worlds a huge improvement from current Orbus!

4 Likes

Ditto. Also, speaking of filling up Highsteppe (and I also really like the NPC carrying the plank, cool shirt!! We can has that shirt irl?) what about bringing over things from the other current Orbus settlements??

• The Twins game! We need it! Also maybe even as a minigame?? Dunno if like checkers or chess or something you’d make new rules for, but something would be SO NEAT. I’d always hoped one day in The Twins we could also play that game. Guy nearby with the clarinet totally playing the game’s theme music!
  • The Twins garden! I can see some section of Highsteppe either within the walls or just outside having a garden, whether we could interact with it or not.
  • The guy feeding the birds in Guild City! Yes please! I hope he’ll fit in somewhere! I love those little birdies! Also the chickens spread around the market!
  • The visual of the Guild City fish market near the docks, maybe stuff like that mixed around downstairs with the player stalls
  • The band in Guild City! I hope they moved to Highsteppe and still perform somewhere!
  • Dare we keep sheep within our walls or in a pin outside? :joy:
  • An ode to sunflowers somewhere? Maybe mixed in with The Twins garden? A mural? A banner? I’m glad they’re on the DtR memorial in Fellowship Court, but I don’t want the current Highsteppe sunflower banner design to go away! Maybe even its banner as a cape? A home decor I can put on my wall? Or the flowers themselves completely :grinning: still mourning the invasive nature of nightmare flowers Actually… maybe with The Twins garden, have a section that’s an ode to the old flowers? The blue ones around Highsteppe, the orange ones that got sprinkled in heading toward Narrow Orchard, just some place to save our prior beloved non-harvestable wildflowers, all of them!
  • The seahorse architectural designs of Frosted Spit!
  • We saved some of the apple grove, right??
  • Side note, I love seeing Sicilus fishing. I appreciate out-in-the-world-NPCs contributing to the feel of the area like that.

So, it makes sense to me that Highsteppe is more labyrinth-like since it’s practically the only civilization now. If it’s our headquarters, our center, our meeting/starting place, we’ll learn it like the back of our hand soon enough. I hope my ideas above are considered for “landmarks” within town or just outside (especially something to distinguish gate entrance/exits, like the one with the guy feeding the birds is the exit that leads to the mouse trap dragon race). Right now it’s kinda like upstairs RNTreesus, airship, Fellowship Court, and downstairs. Not that gate exit, the other one. Uuuhhh.

1 Like

Also need to keep all the prior mobs somehow. If not eventually re-adding, maybe as cash shop pets, paintings, adding to The Twins minigame / as a separate mini-game characters or pieces, something. Maybe even stuffed somewhere or another zoo. We can’t let them fall into oblivion.

Anyway, each day of this beta, one of the first things I do is teleport to player home, and each time this beta I can’t leave my house to save my life. Hand highlights yellow, I see the door move as I give it a good pull, and minutes later I end up logging out (or crashing) and sending a log via the launcher. Not that I can absolutely never leave my player house, but this is day 3 in a row of log in, cookie home, can’t leave, crash or log out, send log, log back in, okay I can come outside now. Just thought I’d give it visibility here since I hadn’t yet.

Update: today is different in that relogging / coming back after crash I still can’t leave my house. Yellow hand outline, door moves, no exit for me. Only tried a few times this time before deciding I’ll just cast a teleport to Fellowship Court. I can’t cast teleport in my house. There’s no response/blue to the first rune. No fizzled animation, nothing. Okay fine, I’ll hit return to graveyard. It does nothing.

Send halp! They know I’m a witch and have locked me in my house! Halp before they set fire! Who carried on Bart’s grudge?!?!

Anyway, gonna try relogging, brb

Second update: restarted computer, tried logging in, but my hands refused to accept I was holding them. Both were way above my head and not moving. Haptic vibration as usual at log in was still happening. Replaced my batteries anyway, hands worked. Logged in, still in house. Tried door and got outside this time :grinning:

Third update: been playing without issue, successfully left Highsteppe gate, turned around within a minute to go back in, couldn’t go back in. Same like being trapped in house, but party member saw me frozen outside while I was running circles. Return to graveyard had no effect / couldn’t die. Then I crashed, game not responding. So, maybe I’m just desyncing, and causing it by trying to “portal” back to back?

A shame I didn’t get to see the wasteland, anyone got some pics? (As so many noted, waypoints for next beta - and for HS - still would be cool, been too occupied with other stuff to discover areas, myself).

Other than that I really liked the new rain, and the sky, the sparkling stars, the moon, the clouds (nightsky is sooo gorgeous!), also the water seems better, in one beta is was yellow-ish and looked stale to me, but no longer.
Resources look mostly nice and natural, the angle I have to wave my pickaxe from is still a bit strange, but I got used to it.

I have a ton of accidental pics of the wasteland from mounting up while having my selfie bot equipped, want some of those? :joy:

Edit: I’ll just upload this one because it’s not got me running off in the distance on it and it looks nice

3 Likes