Beta 4 Feedback: Scoundrel Class

I’ve gotten rank 5 on multiple occasions. As Vassago stated as well.

Rank 5 is definitely the highest.

It’s based on distance from the target and also the amount of curve of your bullet. Like, it should curve waaay out and then come back.

2 Likes

the spread type only works on ones with debuffs… you would think that it would spread damage if used on a damage card.

still having that scoundrel log in bug… any chance for a fix? it seems to only affect me.

I made a little scoundrel-manual for myself, just started today learning it… hope it’s correct, it summarizes blog plus above posts, thx to Xicor, specifically!

Usage of Gun:

• "Sling" the Gun to get Showoff Buff: Hold trigger the whole time you are curving the bullet, release at the end - highest buff is rank 5
  • Charge: Hold down Trigger for up to 3 shots
  • Six Bullets, slow Reload: Fire all at high rate (then wait) or fire at slower rate and don’t run out of bullets

Usage of Cards:

• Use: Let go of a card and it flies to the top; buffs next shot
  • Store: Keep holding grip and the spot is like where your belly button would be-ish; use card later
  • Burn: Press trigger while gripping; buffs next card

Effects for Use and Burn:

Burn to Blue/Potency:

• Card of Vines: Your next shot deals damage over time to the target
  • Card of Ice: Your next shot slows the target

Burn to Purple/Spread:

• Card of Light: Your next shot heals yourself for the damage done to the target.
  • Card of Ash: Your next shot has a greatly increased critical strike chance

Burn to Orange/Cheat:

• Card of Flame: Your next shot deals greatly increased damage
  • Card of Flint: Your next shot weakens the target’s defense

Burning Buffs:

• Potency (Blue): Increases the potency or duration of your next card (depending on the type)
  • Spread (Purple): Spreads the debuff of your next card to nearby enemies from the primary target
  • Cheat (Orange): Places the card back into your current deck after you use it

6 Cards drawn > Deck reshuffles

Your light and flame are flipped for burn

aha is it now ok? I took it from this overview

Can you like record a video of from the time you login until the time it happens? Like you said I think it’s mostly affecting you so I’m wondering if you are just doing something without thinking about it that’s causing it to happen that I might be able to see in a video…

as far as i can tell, everything is the same. here’s a video nonetheless. The first one is me logging in as an archer and then switching. then later i log in as a scoundrel and you can see the bug happen.

Ooh yeah I have that bug too.

does it happen every time you log in as a scoundrel? it also happens randomly for me other times.

I haven’t really watched for the cause of the bug or played the class enough but as far as I remember it also happens randomly.

riley, i assume that video didnt help you at all? is there a way for you to log everything that happens to a character so i can log in on your command and you can get all the events that you need?

For actual scoundrel feedback:

1. can we get a ‘toss card’ option? nothing more awful than having your boss starting cards all set up and then drawing the card of light (which is totally useless on single target bosses)
  2. can we make the ‘spread’ burn affect the damage cards as well? right now it only works on debuffs (obviously by design), but it would be really nice to have it do aoe damage if you use it with the fire/ash cards as well, and then maybe a small aoe heal w/ the light card?
  3. The colors for burned cards are confusing. I would argue that they should be as follows for ease of picking up from the start without doing research: purple-> cheat (since it is a magic-y color). orange -> potency (this just makes sense, as fire is power). green-> spread (since spread is associated with poison)
  4. Tight spaces and nearby players make it really hard to curve the shots (as they get blocked as soon as they hit anything). Obviously i understand that this is just how collision works atm… (though i still disagree with that.), but it can be really really annoying. most players only have to worry about positioning in the z direction, but as a scoundrel, you basically cant have anyone in front or next to you either, or even be close to a wall
  5. There should probably be journal pages explaining everything with icons for the new classes, as only the old classes have entries
  6. The ‘rank x’ flash that happens above an enemy can be hard to see from large distances… i propose it go next to your gun like the ranger distance one.
  7. It may just be the way i curve, but it still seems like there is always an upward curve unless you force a downward curve. Curving laterally still results in an upward arc.
  8. going back to #2, when you want to do aoe pulls, you basically have to sit there and draw cards until you get poison and spread… this is really annoying as you only get one poison every time through the deck.
  9. By design, there is a lot of luck involved for the cards, but there is one card that is completely useless in a lot of boss fights (light). I think it would be great if we could choose which cards we want in our deck. We could have a few more cards to choose from, or even let players drop one card from their deck entirely and use only a 5 card deck. (higher % chance of getting the card you want, ignoring the cards you dont need at all). You could set a minimum to 3 or 4 cards so people dont just stack potency and poison or something similar.
  10. Another cool feature would be to let us see what the top card is at all times ( maybe a talent?). this way we could plan one step further (like tetris).
  11. I hope there is a talent for storing 2 cards instead of one, or burning 2 cards instead of just one.
1 Like

I’m sure it will be helpful and I have your logs, I will look through it all post-Beta and hopefully figure out what’s going on.

I love the class and plan on playing it. I did eventually find the card holding slot, I just needed to suck in my gut a little. Now I know to just stick the hold card in my navel and it works out great. :rofl: I think I have all the card types figured out but I’m still not sure which burn color is related to which effect. Would be nice to have more guidance on some of the mechanics.

Potential Bugs:
My special bar (or whatever it’s called) never filled up.
There was no description for the talents. I could select talents at the various levels but there was no narrative explaining the talents.
I could apply dyes to the weapons but the weapon colors never changed. Not sure which is the bug, that the system let me waste dye on the weapon or that the dye wouldn’t take on the weapon.
Oh, I have to unequip and re-equip other dyed gear after zoning to get the dyed color to show. (I know, off topic but I just remembered.)

Thanks to everyone on the development team for all the work involved in creating such an enjoyable virtual world for us to explore.

2 Likes

all of those potential bugs bar equipping a dye to a weapon are not in the game yet. dyeing a weapon is not a thing in orbus yet

Played it a bunch, is it inspired by the Corsair from FFXI? I got that vibe from it a bit, that was one of my favorite classes.

Biggest issues I noticed was that bullets almost always curved 45 degrees up after a few feet. I thought I was crazy but I clamped the controller in a hinge to keep it level and tested it with what should have been perfectly straight shots and they still went up, so there’s certainly some problem there, unless it’s a design decision to prevent you from doing sick curves on small enemies.

Outside of combat you often want to do the same setup going into fights, so it would be neat if the timer on card draws was only present when IN combat, otherwise you end up farting with cards and having to wait 5 seconds 2-6 times between every fight.

It would be way better if the bullets just didn’t collide with players.

A journal page showing each card and what they are would be really nice, as well as what ‘burn’ color actually does what.

how often did you have the 45 degree issue? and are you on vive?

I use the Oculus Rift and I had not trouble shooting straight at targets from long distances. In fact, I was actually amazed at how accurate the gun sights are for lining up long straight shots.