Beta Client: New Networking

Okay so basically, there are still a few too many bugs occurring with this to have it live for now. I am going to go ahead and switch the Beta branch back over to the same as the default branch, and after I do some more testing hopefully later this week I will try again. Thanks!

if you just restart your Steam/Oculus and you are on the Beta branch, it will download the main version again.

Okay we’ve got a new version of this up right now. So if you have had issues with the Default networking in the past and are on the Beta branch, please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

This is basically just a test to see where we’re at, so it may not improve your performance, but please take the time to let me know so I can move forward with the next step. Thanks!

Just curious if anyone has had a chance to try this and see if it’s still the same as before/better/worse on Default?

I’ll grab it now and test

1 Like

No issues so far connection wise but I did get this in my pet slot when I unequipped my dragon while fishing, noticed it after teleporting to a different area, not sure what’s going on with it (I still have my plunderer dragon)

Okay interesting.

So have you had issues before on the Default connection with crashing and whatnot? Thanks for testing it out!

I have but less frequently than the other people that I play with that tried to play on default, I’m waiting till they are online in the next few hours to find out if it’s better for them

For me it was 1-3 crashes per day. (slightly better recently)

For them it was unplayable on default

Okay sounds good. Thanks for the feedback!

As I said it may end up being the same, but if that’s the case that still tells me something important :slight_smile:

@AcaviGER was still having problems on default, she has some of the output logs saved

Okay, good to know, thank you.

I just logged in with default (first time since last patch) and crashed right 2 seconds after loaded in the house. Output log sent.

New Beta Version: 6.37b

Okay, the new Beta version is out the door for both Steam and Oculus. This is a major re-working of our underlying networking code. You will find 3 new options:

Proxied
Multiplex

Please give each of them a try if you can and let me know which of them feels the “best” to you, in terms of responsiveness, voice chat, etc.

In addition to fixing network-related crashes, this represents a re-working of the networking at a fundamental layer, and as such you should see that fast-moving objects (such as Fireball spells, enemy projectiles, etc.) now move much more smoothly and with much less jitter/jerkiness than they did before.

I recommend that everyone who wants to give feedback on the future of the game try out this Beta when they get a chance, not just those who have previously had issues with the Default networking, since there are changes here that will affect / benefit everyone when they go live.

Thanks!

In addition to the above, I just put out another small patch (v6.40b) on the Beta branch which should finally fix the long-standing “game freezes/hiccups right when I kill something” bug. I finally figured out it was the Journal changing/refreshing itself to update kill counts that was doing that. Now it will only happen if you actually have the Journal open for some reason when you kill something.

Who knows how many problems that was causing, so let me know if that helped anything else as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if it matters but I just updated to 6.37b about 15 minutes ago and then saw this post so I went to update it again and the new update then was also called 6.37b

Yeah sorry I think I mis-labeled it in Oculus, but if you updated again that’s the correct one.

Me and several clan mates have been having issues with the mic built into the compass as well as proximity voice. Seems tondonqith parties as it doesn’t usually happen if noone is in a party. These are all intermitant.

Sometimes the mic simple does not work in party or guile chat. This is selective and sometimes only effect one person, ie they cannot be heard, or one person of 5 can not hear 1 other person.

Are you using the Beta version of the game and this is something that just started in the Beta version? Or this is just something that’s happening to you all in general?

Initial impressions of the Beta
Beta Default: spells look much nicer in air, they are not jumping around and the frame rate seems a little more stable, but still far from perfect during raid boss fights. this is consistent through all the other types.
Beta Proxied: during random times bosses were sliding off in a random direction. they were in the correct spot for everyone else but I saw them as sliding away.
Beta Multiplex: I pulled the forth raid boss a few times, each time instead of walking normally, he would teleport to me and back moving forward at a walking speed. I switched off it fast so I couldn’t tell if it was exclusive to him.
Edit: Addition: recently (for a week or 2) whenever I return to the login screen I character model is backwards and I cant interact with the login buttons with either hand, and have to restart the game.

2 Likes

Seems to be working out great so far :slight_smile: haha

Nonetheless, I ended up having to switch off the beta completely because every time I would log into the game, my client would crash on the default connection, and on the proxied connection going into/down the desert dungeon staircase at the beginning would crash unless everyone in the party went into the instance together and teleported down together which might help track down that issue? Idk. Also, on beta default, I instanced into hard raid and crashed for the first time there multiple times until I completely dropped the beta version and restarted my computer. (Sorry guildies for the raid delay… :grin:)

This happend to me once on the beta default, but otherwise the beta has been working great.