Beta Client: New Networking

This happened to me on Multiplex was happening a lot on the trash up to boss 1 and then the boss just slid away as I entered the room and then I instantly switched to Proxied and then only saw it on a boar after that.

Had a bunch of lag on boss 1 where the spells and stuff just stopped moving but this only happened once all night, still getting horrible frame rate, now on boss 3. Have some recordings to go through when I’m home from work, was something on boss 2 I needed to report but forgot what it was so will check recording for that bit

So far Proxied has worked the best for me. When using normal (wich in non beta works fine for me) I had a complete freeze during Hard Mode Raid Boss 4 for several seconds. Everything just stopped moving then the AOE nuked me and it all synced back up with me dead. Switched back to Proxied. Spells look better, I believe over all performance feels better. I did notice some mobs sliding from time to time and some raid bosses (1 and 3) would run in place some times while being tanked. That seemed to be client side as I didn’t hear both tanks complain.

EDIT: Located in US

Okay, thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I know there are a lot of folks who are mostly playing on Raid nights right now, but it would also be really helpful if people have the time to get in and do some overworld stuff on the Beta client so that we can get some additional feedback as well outside of that specific instance.

The sliding stuff is definitely something due to the new Beta networking, I will work on that.

I think I’ve heard of this happening already to folks in that specific instance, so I’m not sure if that’s something specific to the Beta or not.

It would crash literally every time you logged in? Can you send me your output log after that happens? I have no idea why that would be happening on Default if it’s not happening on the other types.

Yeah I don’t think the Beta is going to help at all with the whole “long boss fights are leading to FPS issues” bug that’s been around for a long time, but it shouldn’t be any worse, either.

Oh, also, one thing I forgot to ask as well, when you’re reporting which type is working best for you, it would also be helpful to know where you’re located (e.g. what country) just so I can start figuring that out too. Thanks!

Is any headway being made into getting that bug squashed? Raids have been out for months now and it really kills the fun to have frames tanking for the group. More so frustrating when you have high end hardware and the FPS still can’t be maintained.

I’ve taken two stabs at it thus far, unfortunately neither of which were successful in helping the issue. I have some other ideas on what might be causing it that I am working on this week.

I’m just saying that while it’s helpful to know it’s still happening, I don’t think it really factors into whether or not this networking solution is working or not.

EDIT: Also I should point out, I don’t think it’s actually anything to do with the Raids specifically, I think it’s always been there, it’s just that the raids are the first fights we’ve had that go on for like 15+ minutes straight.

So this is what happened while I was on Multiplex, I quickly switched after this

1 Like

Okay cool yeah, I am working on a fix for that now.

Here’s what happened with the lag on Boss 1 while on Proxied connecrtion, stayed on Proxied for the rest of the night and didn’t have it happen again

At around 0:08 seconds for a second or two?

Yeah that’s sort of the trade-off of this different networking system, if you experience packet loss it can pile up more. That’s actually what in theory the multiplex connection type is supposed to help prevent, so once we get the bugs worked out for that we’ll see what happens.

Still, I think it shouldn’t happen that often either way, and on the old connection type there you likely may have just totally disconnected.

Yeah that’s it, was around 2 seconds, I will give Multiplex another shot once you’ve worked out the bugs, just looking through the rest of the recordings from last night atm

Cool, thanks, that’s super helpful.

Did you happen to record what happened on Boss4/5 with the FPS loss where you could see the FPS with the new meters in-game?

We didn’t do boss 4/5 last night due to lack of time, did get recording of it happening on boss 3 with your in-game fps meter though, will have a look at that recording after I work out what the thing with boss 2 was

Okay, this video is half new bug and half old bug, the 1st 2 clips are the new thing which is caused by the beta bug/mob slide, the rest is an old bug (very old bug) which happens when there is movement alongside AoE, most well known on the corrupted stags, it puts the model for the mob out of sync with it’s hitbox (very annoying) on boss 2 you can work out were to shoot as it’s going to be in the centre of the red dome AoE, with stags, it’s a lot more annoying but it’s something I’ve been meaning to record and report for a while so here it is:

Okay Boss 3, frame rate issues, turns out even with the in-game stats on, when I think I’m looking up enough, its not on the recording as it’s so high up, so I can see it in game but it’s not on oculus mirror unless I’m looking really high, which isn’t something you do in a boss fight unless it’s boss 4 with the bells which I guess I’ll try and do that when we raid on Friday.

Any chance you can move the stat window slightly lower though? I’d rather have it in my face for a raid and give you the information you need than have it up in the air and not get what you need and have to keep repeatedly posting about it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I put out a new patch just now on Beta that should hopefully help with the “things sliding off to nowhere” bug. I made some tweaks to Multiplex as well, let me know if it’s any better for you all. Thanks!

I will try to reproduce the crashing thing at some point… not sure if I could find 9 other willing players to just stand in the raid instance to try and get things perfectly similar tho. Now I wish there was an output_log history folder for any file smaller than 2mb😂

In regards to overworld stuff, beta on all types seemed fine for me. Fishing had a couple bugs, I sent you a PM with one of them, and another instance during the server’s dead timeframe while I was fishing with Elk, I saw his bobber in the water shortly after he logged out and it kept jerking further away as if a fish were on the line and he wasn’t reeling it in. Kinda funny to watch.

Haha okay. I see so it was only happening when you tried Default on Beta when logging into the Raid. Okay well that’s still helpful to know, thanks!

Just checking in on this, is the “sliding off into nothingness” problem solved? How’s multiplex doing? Thanks!

So far for Default and Proxy I havn’t seen the sliding anymore. During raid both Proxy and Multiplex had weird issues for myself. I had everything freeze for a moment during boss battles. Default seems to work the best for myself.