I believe that we could make high tier armor and weapons more interesting by making more interesting affixes for them.
Currently for Weapons, we have the following affixes:
Lifesteal: Almost entirely useless as classes that need lifesteal don’t do enough damage to make it work, and classes that do enough damage don’t need lifesteal.
Charged Strikes: Essentially just more damage.
Unbending: One of the more interesting affixes, but it does have the issue of DoTs killing you after unbend. [suggestion: have a built in decurse with unbend proc]
Treasure Master: Very fun affix, although not for combat.
Giantkiller: Essentially just more damage
Iceheart: Essentially just more damage
Bleed: The best affix IMO. Not only is it interesting and allows you to pull extremely high numbers for short periods of time, it has also been a defining factor for a few scoundrel and ranger builds.
Lightning Forged: Completely useless. Low proc chance and low damage. No one ever runs this by choice.
First Strike: Not interesting in of itself, but the fact that it can be used for Musky aggro generation is a cool interaction.
Most of the affixes are just a slight damage buff and make no real playstyle difference. It would be interesting if we were able to get some affixes that created playstyle differences.
Some ideas that were brainstormed:
Thorns - Deal a certain amount of damage taken back to the enemy.
- This would be an interesting addition as not only would it create incentive to not stunlock, it would also be a slight buff to warrior as the lack of innate damage resistance means higher thorns damage.
Sunning - Interrupting an attack stuns the enemy for 5 seconds.
- Would be decent for add control, in addition to certain bosses (for example, boss 2 GC) that have interruptable abilities.
Resiliant - Taking magical damage reduces physical damage by 10% for 5 seconds and vice versa.
- Could add some interesting aspects where you could intentially take magical damage in order to gain damage resistance. Outside of that, it would be a decent damage resist on adds.
Stealthed - Gain 30% less aggro.
- Would allow DPS to take the tradeoff between doing more damage and being less likely to pull aggro.
These ideas are similar to other affixes as they are small bonuses that would have interesting effects ingame. But we can make them more interesting.
Optimized - Dodging a magical attack by less than 1 meter gives a 10% damage boost for 5 seconds.
- The largest damage boost out of affixes, but has more specific criteria to activate it. Gives a tradeoff between risk and reward, where dodging by a smaller margin gives a damage buff.
Master Artificer - Every 5th tile procc’d has no interference.
- Currently, long tile chains suck. No one ever uses them because the buff is so small. This would allow us to use carefully timed longer tiles in order to gain a 10% buff for 12 seconds. You would still have to proc the tile with usual methods, this would just ignore the amount of interference in the proc.
Team Player - Party buffs (hunter mark, break shot, weakness, pally left book, warrior sword raise, ect.) are 10% more effective
- Would not be good for solo parsing (1% buff to rotation mage), but depending on the number on the number of raiders it could be good.
Anyone have suggestions for more? Some more niche affixes so everyone doesn’t just run bleed + giantkiller/iceheart could be cool.