Brewing Potions Means I’m AFK

I brew a lot of potions, and just about every time I stand there brewing them, I get an AFK warning message saying that I have to move or I’ll be kicked out of the game. Obviously I’m not AFK, I’m actively participating in a major component of the game.

I’m not sure how the game measures that someone is AFK, because I’m walking back and forth between my ingredients and i’m successfully brewing, so I feel like both of those aspects should count against being AFK.

2 Likes

You need to in game slide or teleport or move your hands around. Those are the rules.

I can only imagine someone not doing that by them having their hands still on a chair while moving their chair around.

well i can assure you i’m moving my character and my hands, so those can’t be the only requirements to avoiding an AFK flag. not unless i need to travel a certain distance, or move my hands more frequently, though that still shouldn’t happen during a part of play that we’re encouraged to partake in

1 Like

I think he means you need to slide/teleport the whole playspace. If you just walk around in real life without moving the playspace, I don’t think it counts…

The AFK thing was put in as a stop-gap on a bug a while back and I don’t think they ever went back and fine-tuned it… :woman_shrugging:

It also stopped the AFK Bard farm… not that it ever existed :wink:

I ran into this today while making metal cogs for an orb mount. I was completely moving but got a warning. You’d think the game would know I wasn’t afk as it was giving me the metal cogs I was creating. It’s interesting too that I’ve fished for at least an hour straight before and have never gotten that warning even though I sit or stand in the same place for that.

1 Like

Not sure why it’s doing that. I generally make sets of 33 of the 10x potions at once and don’t move at all and just move in the playspace yet I haven’t had that happen to me.

Moving your hands is supposed to prevent the AFK timer, so something must be not working right.

2 Likes

seeing as its reoccurring with me and happening to others also, it doesnt seem like just a glitch or error on my end

The exact same happens if you are two players just chatting for a while without moving around.

The game should obviously count moving your HMD as well as sending voice input as being present and playing, but it does not.

Just like already mentioned, to prevent it you need to teleport/slide to reset the internal afk-mode timer. Even if it is just a pixel.

Could it possibly be something different between a steam/oculus pc build and a quest/standalone build?

i definitely slide around, though, so i wonder if i’m not doing it enough? either way i think it’s something that should be fixed

this is what i was thinking

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.