Change to Steam Library Sharing Access

This is just a quick general announcement that we’ll be making a small change to the way that our Steam Authentication backend works when the new patch arrives on Monday. Currently, it may be possible for more than one Steam user to access the game without purchasing it using the Steam Library sharing feature. This was never really intended, as obviously if you are playing on multiple characters you are meant to own multiple copies of the game.

So beginning Monday, you will no longer be able to login to your account if you are only accessing a “shared” copy of OrbusVR. None of your data or characters are being deleted, and if you purchase your own copy of the game you will be able to pick up right where you left off.

Obviously this will affect only a tiny number of people, but I’m just making a general announcement about it in advance to prevent any confusion when we make this change on Monday.

If you have any questions please just let me know. Thanks!

7 Likes

Is there any way for you guys to track how long the shared game has been played, and then lock it? This would offer the family/shared access version of the game as a type of “hey check this game out for a couple hours and see if you like it” sorta deal if someone wants to share it with a friend, which I think would be more beneficial than completely blocking it.

1 Like

Bit unfair after buying the game intially on my adult account so my children can play it and dont starrt buying games.Now my children cant play on their own accounts than squabble i now have to buy reapeated copies of the same game so they can each play their own accounts on on the same computer and the same vive unit.

Never had a problem with this before and made sense for me to own the game and them to play under the share game via family option.

Refund option for this?

I responded to this here: Since the patch dropped, I can't see my character when I log in!

Does steam merge accounts? Then you can use family view for your kids and take off family view for your own stuff. That’s what I do, at any rate.

Another thing you can do is to just let the man use your account, but remove your payment options from the account. Yes it would be inconvienient to put in the info every time, but it would solve this issue in your case to an extent :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.