Closed Beta 1 Feedback Thread

I had surprisingly few crashes on my end. For me it was about once every 3 hours, aside from a few problem spots. Leaving the player home in Highsteppe was always a gamble for me lol.

Alright yo I will try to make this quick because I am in the middle of moving.

This beta test was amazing! Hands down I am more addicted than I have ever been. I love the desert zone and OMG the new armor just keeps looking better and better! (Minus the musketeer hat) I did however want to bring up a couple things. I understand some of these things may be addressed in the upcoming patch already.

The wolf spawns right next to the king sweetie orchard were bugged most of the game for me and couldn’t be hit.

Friends list need a group invite button. I’m sure it isn’t 100% ideal to not be able to message someone before hand but I’m sure it would work out.

A weird bug where if my menu was out and I had my wand in my right hand I couldn’t interact with the menu with my left.
And to end we have player abused glitches to address.

I was able to run dungeon groups for both dungeons. First dungeon performed very well and jungle dungeon went well. Larger aggro zones made it so mob packs had to be cleared.

And lastly the player abused glitches and balances.

The desert zone is amazing! But way to easy. I’m not usually one to beg for harder monsters but A LOT of people completely skipped the jungle zone. I saw more than 3 level 8s who already had their desert chest piece and helm. Up the damage on all the mobs in the zone. High level zones should feel challenging and definitely shouldn’t allow lower level players to completely skip the jungle zone.

Also putting the gloves only on the pyrmid head elites in the desert is fine but it is very unclear to the player that they only drop off of the max level elites. I think it would be preferable if they still dropped off at the some percentage for max level elites, I believe I read it was 5%, but then make it 1% or lower for the lower level elites.

Currently if you are a musketeer you can throw your dps or healing turret out and switch classes while still getting the benefit of the turret until its timer runs out and it despawns.

Speaking of the turret can we get clarification on how it works? I thought it was suppose to attack the weakest mob but I find my turret switches between mobs all the time. It’s so inconsistent that I rarely use it in dps mode unless I am fighting a single mob.

People are using the guards as an exploit to farm xp on higher level mobs. Specifically I saw it happening at the end of the jungle zone but I’m sure it could be abused in other places. I’d suggest turning off the xp gain if a guard strikes the mob.

Overall though an amazing beta. I’m already supper addicted and planning on power leveling hard come early access.

1 Like

Hey Riley, just to follow up.

From memory I think your right. The combination of both hands has always had an effect on the bow angle. But previously I think it was only the hand holding the bow that effected it’s rotation?
On the Rift during the Beta it now feels as though rotation was being effected by both hands. Either that or as you say it’s become way more sensitive . I would be inclined to remove rotation from the “non bow” hand if possible as I don’t think its needed anyway. Leave rotation to the bow hand, angle to the bow hand and the arrow hand combined, and twist your torso to aim left or right… both arms up or down to adjust height. … Yeah it’s tricky! :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed playing this test. I had a wedding to go to over the weekend so really only got to play a little bit and I managed to level my mage to lvl 9. I never made it to the desert. I had a bit more crashes than I did in previous tests. It seemed to be happening about every hour or so.

-exp wasn’t showing up for all monsters, some it would show up for and others it wouldn’t
-would like when I finish a quest to have the dram and exp show together
-since I played later in the test it was impossible to find a party to do any dungeons, looking forward for some kind of dungeon finder or finding someone to do a dungeon with
-I thought 2 people couldn’t have the same name. I saw another Logan and almost ported him before I realized it wasn’t the Logan I wanted to port. People shouldn’t be allowed to have the same name. Makes it confusing for PvP as well.

I think everyone talked about the other feedback. Can’t wait for next Beta test where I will hopefully be able to play more.

1 Like

Little clarification on what the naming thing, someone was able to name themselves “logan” with a lower case L. Maybe the game can be updated to not allow names to be recreated with differences in case or with some obvious special character work arounds?

1 Like

There was some talk of a map being in your journal that was roughly drawn to give a sense of where you were. I tried very hard and could not find it. Bug? Not implemented yet?

Fishing

Whoa a fishing post! Who does that?

Anywho~ I didnt like how the lures had a 30 durability and used 2 durability per cast. Id like to see it at 15 and use 1 durability per cast. (unless there is a super secret good reason for this?)

I also feel like I was catching way to many fish per hour. It was about 1 in every 3 casts I was pulling back a fish. If end game fishing catches as many fish per hour as I am now, I think that is a great place to aim for, and greatly rewards fishing effort in the number of fish you bring back.

How to balance how fishing level and quality of fishing returns is up to you guys.

You can go the WoW fishing method and say that you can only fish in this pond if you are a lvl X Fisher.

Or maybe high level fish are so rough on the line it is nearly impossible to reel in a fish from the wilds as a low level fisher without the line snapping. (I’m personally in favor of this method)

1 Like

That’s interesting because I didn’t feel like I was catching any fish at all.

Since they’re required for health potions…it does kinda skew how much they’re needed.

To be fair, I was using math to find the best lure combination for yields.

I’m not going to give away my secret recipe (especially since fishing likely to be overhauled soon) but it also depends on what you are fishing for, and what they like.

I’m pretty sure I caught close to a 100 total fish in the beta with the few hours I put into it.

The higher fishing level you get the stronger pole you’ll need /unlock. Lures will be of rarer mats and rarer fish will be tougher on the line. It’ll be really cool when it’s all implemented!

1 Like

You receive the map of the area around Highsteppe from Guardian Bart when finishing the Tutorial Quest line (doesn’t have to be completed to continue main story quest line). If you completed the entire tutorial (killing the king stag) and still didn’t receive the map let me know, if not that is where it is found.

Wow, that is a lot of fish, I’m hit or miss a lot of times with fish. I haven’t caught anywhere near that.

That makes sense. @Logan got to live for another day. I was going to send him straight to the tigers:)

Johann I have 48 reagents left. Prepare yourself!

Here come my rambling observations collected throughout the weekend:

general

• I really had a lot of fun again. This time I focused on playing the warrior.
  • I crashed a lot on Friday and Saturday. It was better on Sunday, after the patch from Saturday evening (my time).
  • A thing I did not experience during the open alpha, but this time was phasing in and out of a zone. It was happening all the time in the beginning, when the friend list bug was there. But it also happened from time, to time during the following days. Sometimes only a restart of the game did help to get back to where others where shown and or could hear me.
  • When walking over long distances I currently often use the slide and teleport at the same time method, because just sliding somehow feels to slow. It would be nice, if the default walking speed could be a bit faster and we wouldn’t have to use “cheats” like this.

questing

• I am not really paying attention to the content of the quests, because I want to experience the story as a whole on release. However I noticed that there were quite some messenger quests. I didn’t really like those (especially close after another), because walking is not the most fun thing in Orbus.

crafting

• I really like the way crafting works. Its very haptic and engaging.
  • If you do not look up while you open the chest, the inventory window will be partially stuck in the chest and/or table. It would be good, if the window, could be opened at a predefined position above the chest, that is easy to reach while standing.

dungeon

• I really liked the level 8 dungeon.
  • We were not able to finish it during my first run, because the dps on the end boss was not high enough (we knew the mechanic, but ran out of it). All in all it was fun and challenging (especially with only two musketeers and two warriors).
  • The second run we fininshed with just a ranger (lvl 9), a musketeer (lvl 6) and warrior (lvl 8). We even had two stalagtites remaining :slight_smile:
  • I especially liked the lighting and how you have to have a mage or carry a torch to light areas of the cave.

fishing

• relaxing and fun
  • maybe it could be a bit more challenging. currently you just have to get a hook and then proceed to do 5 turns and wait and repeat that until you reeled the fish in all the way.
  • I tried to cast again when I had a small fish. Maybe it could be a nice addition to allow that, to catch larger fish. You would have to risk the small fish for the chance to catch a better one.

warrior

• my second favorite class by now (after the musketeer)
  • I don’t see a good use for Hamstring and have only ever used it by accident. Maybe it could be replaced with a DOT, like for example a bleed
  • I did expect shield-bash to interrupt and not only stun, after the mob has performed it’s current attack. It would be great against casters with unblockable attacks.
  • I would love a way to pull from afar. Maybe some kind of dagger to throw or something.
  • The horn doesn’t seem to generate a lot of aggro. Whenever I used it in a group fight where I lost aggro (or didn’t have from the beginning), the mobs just continued to aggro on other party members, mostly the healer.
  • The “rotation” for single target dps (especially during solo play) is a bit monotone. it’s just wound, over and over. It would be nice if there was something to manage. Maybe wound does more damage only when a bleed is applied, so you have to take care to keep the bleed up.
  • When you fight a big or flying mob it’s hard to see the health bar, debuffs and floating combat text. You have to look way up. It would be nice, if there was a way to see those information more easy. For ranged it isn’t a problem, but if you are standing right in front of the mob, it is. Maybe the aggored mobs could be shown on the bottom of the shield or the health bar could move to below the mob.
  • In the discord we talked about an idea, to maybe make it possible to slot combos (probably separated into 3 strike, 4 strike) into “ammunition” slots, so you could adjust your playstyle (@Logan will or has probably posted more in depth about it)
  • Sometimes when I charged the mob at the start of a fight, the mob would run to the position I did charge from.

friends list

• I like that more social features are getting added
  • If the list gets to long it doesn’t show everyone and I couldn’t find a way to scroll
  • I am looking forward to having a way to contact and invite people through the friends list
  • I also had an idea for the contacting part: Maybe we could have a scrying orb (or something alike) in our house and “call” someone on our friends list. If they “pick up”, they would see a ghost of the one “calling” and we could see them and talk to them through the orb.

new stairs in highstep

• Thanks! :smiley:

Thanks to all the nice people I played with. I had a blast! Looking forward to next month.

I just remembered something now: the smooth turn is too fast (at least with the vive). Also i used to move with the right controller and turn with the left so i would like to have an option “Left turn, right strafe”.

Feedback Time!

I payed my way into the closed beta about two or three days before it went live and got the majority of my information from what I could glean from the community posts I read. This gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect and what I should gun for. cough cough Runemage cough cough After playing on and off for the duration of the beta, RIP my eyes, I think this game gets a solid 7/10, even though I kind of dicked around for most of the time and didn’t even hit level 5.

I really only messed around with the Ranger class because it’s obviously the best class out there, and even using the Rift, I didn’t think the bow twisting was that hard to avoid or correct. There were times when it was definitely a pain to deal with, but more often than not my shots went more or less where I wanted them to. Even longshots were consistently doable. The only issues I noticed that concerned me was the fact that the mine thing you can toss didn’t always activate, even when the mobs went right over them. I don’t know if there’s a timer for it to “come online” after it hits the ground, but even the ones that I set up before aggro-ing mobs didn’t always trigger. Other times I could throw it at a mob’s face and it would explode instantly. It wasn’t really a bit deal because I only used it to buy myself an extra second for one last charged shot before I spammed arrows, but I thought I should mention it. The other thing I noticed was the hitboxes on foxes weren’t always… Active. I’d lay into one for a solid 15 seconds, my health draining all the while, and my arrows would just phase straight through them, even when I teleported a ways away to reset my distance a bit. I would have died once had a kind passerby not stabbed it.

Also, may I ask for a “help me I don’t know how I got here but I can’t leave and want to go home” button or something? I was just kind of walking around and decided to take a left at the crossroads by the lake instead of following it around and wound up in the jungle area at level 3. Needless to say, I died. I respawned past my death further in at a town. Disoriented, I ended up going further in because I didn’t know which direction I came in from and I wasn’t sure if I went north or south to go in. After about ten minutes, I found myself at the very end of the jungle zone with nowhere to go. I managed to use the combination of the musket, teleporting, and guards to slowly work my way up and halfway to the next town, which I discovered was the way I needed to go. Unfortunately, I couldn’t bait the guard any further away from his post and the mobs wouldn’t come as far down as I needed. It was about two minutes later that a very kind level 10 player came up and brought to my attention that I was a level 3 in a very not-level-3 zone. He offered to make me a portal back to, what is it called, Highsteppe? since he didn’t have any business in the jungle anymore. (by the way, huge shoutout to you, friendly person, for saving me and telling me where the witch was. I was Ryder) My point being that had it not been for this kind person I would have been stuck or would have had to grind for hours upon hours or try and work something out with you dev peoples. A simple “I messed up” button might come in handy at some point.

On the topic of the witch, she was a little tricky to find at first. Though, I probably would have stumbled upon her the second I went that way. But casting spells wasn’t that bad. I couldn’t manage even one for the first several hours I had my wand, but I happened to catch someone teaching a lower level how to cast and got the trick. Now I have about 40% activation rate with Fireball, something like 70% with Freeze, and 50% with Shadow, though it takes a long time for it to acknowledge the shape. I kind of figured the other runes were level-locked by the pillars around the world, so that’s totally fine; there’s plenty to grind away on in the beginning area.

This has been a beta review from some no-name newbie with little to no insight on any of the history of this game’s development. Looking forward to the next test period!

I think I might have been the one that helped you. My username was Heldor if that rings any bells.

I think you may be right. Well, again, thanks a ton. You saved me a lot of effort.

I feel you, that happened to me in the open alpha, i was lost for almost an hour before i found a mage that made a portal