Crashing Constantly? Is it my Vid Card?

Hey, I’m on a very low-spec computer (i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, GTX 770). The Beta client is crashing every 5-10 minutes for me. I’m on low graphics settings.

Is it just my low specs? I’m able to run Elite:Dangerous and other games in VR without crashing.

Edit: I sent the logs through the launcher. My character name is Galahad if that helps.

I’m not totally sure, I’ll take a look at the logs you sent over here in a bit. In the mean time, what Graphics Quality do you have the game set to? With that graphics card you should definitely be playing on Medium or Low (it defaults to High).

I am playing with low graphics settings.

Also I forgot to mention I’m using a rift.

Hey Adam,

I’m not totally sure what’s going on with your crashes. Some of them are definitely out of memory issues, but it’s weird that you would be running out of memory that quickly. I am doing a new build now that will be a new patch here in a moment that might have a fix.

Out of curiosity, were you mainly playing by yourself or in a group?

I also have crashed around 3 times during about 3 hours of play. I have a gtx 1080 and I was playing with a group of 2 the entire time. Usually occurred when loading in a new area.

Riley,

I noticed that the crashing happened more often when I was grouped up with other people. Also, I have a hunch that using the compass made crashing more likely.

But I got the same type of crash once today while playing solo. I’ve started leaving the task manager open while I play, so the next time I crash I’ll take a look at the memory usage… but so far it doesn’t seem like I’m ever using more than 3GB.

Thanks for looking in to it.

P.S. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed that I can move faster than normal by sliding while spamming the teleport button. So that’s how I normally move around.

Oh, well that’s interesting. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it or not but it’s not something that I really test for so you might try not doing that if you are crashing a lot and see what happens.

Hey if you are still around playing, would you mind trying out this special build?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/patch.orbusvr.com/Launcher-NoGraphicsJobs.zip

Just extract that folder and run the launcher in there. It’s a special launcher so it won’t auto-update to the newest patch, but it’s up to date as of right now. Let me know if that makes any difference for you.

Ok I’m omw home right now. I’ll try it out and post some feedback tonight.

I crash quite frequently as well, in addition to getting disconnected frequently. I’m on an i7 7700k and a GTX 1080, so I don’t think it’s my system. I’m also on a ~70Mbps connection, so I don’t think my internet should be causing the disconnected.

Crashing happen once every 20 to 30 minutes, disconnects seem to happen every 5 to 10 minutes.

Ok yeah, I definitely feel like it’s a party thing. I just had a crash, and submitted a report with the following comment:

After using the special launcher, I played for about an hour solo with no problems. Then I teamed up with a guy in Highsteppe to level up runemage. I died about 2-3 minutes in, and after respawning at the graveyard the game client crashed on the way back to camp.

The game ran great for an hour, then crashed less than 5 minutes after I formed a party with another player.

Edit: I feel like it’s worth noting that I died several times while solo but didn’t have any crashes.

Maybe it only happens to people named Adam…

I get dropped to char select very frequently. I am thinking it is an occulus issue. I can launch the game from oculus home, but my chars won’t load. So when I crash to char select I have to close all the way out and launch orbus again. Seems to not like occulus for some reason.

You definitely have to use the Launcher each time right now, that’s not a bug it’s just a limitation of the current way we’re doing things.

Are you getting a “Connection closed by remote host” error when you get dropped to the character screen? Have you tried using the “Alternate” connection type? (It’s a toggle in the Launcher above the Play Game button).

Was it consistently crashing every 5 minutes anytime you were in a party after that? Basically right now there is a crash that is affecting a lot of people where after about an hour the game is running out of its own memory. So it might just have been bad timing where you had been playing for around an hour then joined a party. Let me know if you played after that and if it was crashing very frequently when in a party.

Unfortunately I quit playing after that for the night. I’ll see if I can reproduce the issue today.

Update:

Played for about 1.5 - 2 hours today on the special launcher… most of which I spent in a party with 2-3 people. It did feel better than before. I crashed maybe twice or three times, but it was much less than every 5-10 minutes like before.

Yah, Riley I am getting the remote host error frequently, like once every few hours. In order to get back in I have to close all the way out and run the launcher again…sometimes when i get back in I see my char still stuck in the world. I saw myself for about four hours the first day at the bottom of the stairs at the training grounds.

I actually didn’t mind because it forced me to take a break…or I would prob have not eaten for a couple days. Really liking th game.