Dev Blog: Design Doc: Dungeons and Instancing & PvP and the Wilds

Yeah I had considered that strategy and I’m not totally sure how I feel about it yet. On the one hand it’s creative, on the other hand it’s definitely a way to get around the ‘spirit’ of the PvP. It may be that the rule needs to be either there are no ‘partially’ safe zones, or maybe that you can only loot the tradable items from someone’s corpse if you were a bandit when they died (or something to that effect). Or maybe looting someone’s corpse make you into a bandit itself. Or maybe the loot from the corpse only goes free-for-all after 5 minutes, before then only the person who struck the killing blow can collect it…

1 Like

Taking loot from non-bandit, not in your party could be flagged as ‘stolen items’ and flag you as bandit if you are not already.

Anyway, we will know soon enough what kind of abuse players will try and what kind of measures are needed to prevent some.

I am not against pk and elaborated plans, but if I have more chances getting killed in the ‘partially’ safe zone then in the wild, I don’t see the point.

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to the next test and the design ideas around PVP are fantastic.

I find that you cant always have the cake and eat it with VR. An MMO doesn’t lead to full reactive combat without being janky as hell. What you’ve outlined regarding Shield use makes sense and further highlights the Warriors role as a defender.

Having had a read through the other comments definitely the common theme we all seem to want to discuss is movement in PVP. I’m fully a fanof the “players can see where are players are pointing their teleport” as it really helps the brain compute other players locomotion. And for an archer who would suffer the “person disappearing as arrow flies through the air” it build skill on the prediction of where you’r enemy will be.

The only other thing that springs to mind would be a fractionally longer fade out when teleporting. And during that time, the player model doesn’t teleport but makes a move from point A to point B. Allowing to take a swipe or fire a shot at a moving target rather than dueling Nightcrawler.

That’s always the biggest issue with VR, but I’m already super impressed by how the game plays with PVE and what you have outlined for PVP already looks fantastic!!!

1 Like

And only having just now read through the dungeon dev blog; I was wondering will there be anything like an in game window that lets us post to a community hub of sorts, not just a looking for group but a post and collaboration of in game groups to go get the tokens.
Or is the plan for a group to meet in a safe area, rallying other groups over in game? I’m wholly up for doing as much in game as possible, especially after all the work you have put in, I don’t want to leave :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah we’ll definitely have some sort of group finding tool in-game – although it will not be a “automatically put you together with random people and teleport you directly to the dungeon” type of deal, more of a way to just post about what you’re doing and that you want someone else to help.

One of the main things I’m still trying to figure out in that regard is how long-distance communication is going to work in the game. For example, in most MMOs you just get text chat that lets you whisper other people no matter where they are. I’m not opposed to that, but text chat in VR is still pretty wonky and hard to type in currently.

1 Like

For example, in most MMOs you just get text chat that lets you whisper other people no matter where they are. I’m not opposed to that, but text chat in VR is still pretty wonky and hard to type in currently.

Hmm, well most people (myself included) normally end up arranging a ‘party up’ element through something like Steam before opening the game, however how about a communication rune stone or something similar as an item to take from either inventory or from the menu.

The item could then be used as an in game ‘phone’ lending magical properties for the long rang communication. Equally this could give you a wheel selection of some standard phrases. So you select your stone and it shows you your friends list, you then have the ability to ‘call them’ or send a message such as “I’m currently at [nearest map location name here]” or “I need your assistance!” which then shows up on the other player’s stone (to prevent on screen message spamming.

Again that being said a lot of this depends on how the partying up will happen. In that regard I’m just happy to see what happens on the 23rd Feb (really looking forward to it!) at which point we’ll see what everyone’s automatic go to choice was and then what in game tool would provide the closest experience.

1 Like

As for party communication, I would most likely join 3th party software chat (discord/steam chat).
I’d rather mute myself in game and freely speak to my teammates then using any in-game communication tools.
I have no idea how to manage short and long distance communication without it being a shore.

1 Like

How about recording voice messages to send over long distance as in private friend chats etc…?

1 Like

recording voice messages to send over long distance

That’s fantastic idea, sort of like Xbox messages, you have a menu for persons and you can simply tap a friends name record and send.

That being said I think small party comms like @Vincent_G has outlined are normally done by everyone through 3rd party. However One of the best elements of the Stress Test for me was just bumping into and chatting to everyone, that’s something that would be lost by using 3rd party comms.
Perhaps having one of the grip buttons mapped for over-world chat but then open comms during party chat. So you don’t have to constantly be broadcasting tactics out to the world.

1 Like

Would there be a way to remove the soulbound status on older equipment?

Say I were a blacksmith/artificer/enchanter/whatever, if I had enough ‘skill’ to remove the soulbound status, could I? Or if the gear had enough wear, could it become tradeable with the player’s permission?

1 Like

Re-posting this from my Reddit post about this subject from 3 months ago.

The biggest thing for me is that if you mix teleportation and touchpad locomotion in a MMO, then it is important that player’s avatars do not ‘blink’ around as they teleport. I would find that not only annoying but a from of cheating, particularity if PVP is ever adopted.

One solution that comes to mind is to have the player’s avatar and the VR camera rig separate when using teleport. When standing still the camera rig would be parented to the avatar’s head or eyes and inverse kinematics would control the avatars movements. However when the player needs to move, they point their bezier pointer to a place on the ground that is flagged as accessible from their current position and when they release the button their avatar starts pathing to the pointers location.

The camera rig however, which is the HMD and controllers, remain still in their previous location. The player now see their avatar pathing towards the destination point. Other players in the game only every see the avatar, not the camera rig, so from their perspective the teleporting player just starts walking like normal. Others are completely oblivious that the player is even using teleport movement. This is kind of like in Spell Fighter when using teleportation, except instead of a ghost model pathing toward the point, it will be your actual avatar. During the pathing process of the avatar the player can press a button at any time to ‘snap’ back into the avatar at its current location and resume control. Also, if during the avatar’s pathing process it argos mobs and triggers combat then the player is automatically snapped back to the avatar and resumes control.

IMHO, this allows both styles of movement to coexist in an MMO without players seeing other peoples avatars blinking around the map. Which can cause issues in PVP combat and even party control issues during raiding, as well as making AOE buffs difficult to correctly implement, since an ally is right next to you one second and “poof” they are gone the next, now outside your buffing range. Anyway it is just a thought I had and I wanted to post it in case it helps you it any way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might be me just being excited, but I would really like to know around about what time do you plan on opening up the stress test. Planning on taking time off work and I’m wondering if I should take a half day or whole day.

1 Like

Death,the thing that make everything more alive.
Whit a hard game and a meaningfull death, all actions become more important, people will really do things like hire body guards, without mentioning the fact that there will be less trolls yellings around.
Fall in a trap (pls put traps like on “SAO” :heart_eyes: ) and see your dudes dying in front of you should be painfull and scare you about the fact that you are maybe the next.
In the real life when you die you die, in some games when you die your character is deleted and the only thing that stay is your bank or you can’t play this character for 24h, or you lose some exp.
In most mmo you only lose a little bit of durability and the price to repair is just too low to make you worried about it.
I really think that AT LEAST when you die, it should broke definitively one random item of what you are equipped with.
That will make people think twice before doing something dangerous, make them playing together and preparing plans/tactics to reach their goal.

1 Like

It will probably start around Noon US Central Time again.

1 Like

While I like the idea of a more serious penalty for dying, it might not work with a first of a kind mmo.
The thing is that players who will play casually will always be behind in terms of loot, currency and reputation.

Getting PK will happened and sometimes you wont be able to do anything about it. If says, you can only do dungeons once or twice a week and you lose your loot by misfortune, that might turn down those casually-playing players.

As I see the current pvp formula, there is room for hardcore players (hiring guards, building grand expeditions and fetching rare craft materials) and for more casuals (minding their own business in small community and doing mostly dungeons).

An heavy penalty from dying would only result in a separation between people who have time to farm extra everything and those who play casually/solo-play.

I’d rather have more people enjoying the game, as we are on an early stage for VR-MMO, than only elitist groups.

TL:DR : Less penalty might result on more casual players resulting on more overall players

1 Like

What’s stopping people from abusing this system? People could get a group of 3 or 4 people, have one of them kill someone in their group over and over again, and then let someone kill the bandit to get the huge bounty.

Another thing regarding bandits: Even with a group, it feels like if you already have bandit status and you try to approach a player to kill them, they have the chance of running away. Are you planning on adding some sort of PvP focused class like a rogue or something?

And my final question; If a resource is out in the wilds, what’s stopping a group of players from monopolizing it and just killing players who are trying to get it?

1 Like

Like you this is tearing me into 2 pieces :sob:
One thing great will be if you are going into an instanced dungeon whit your group and one of your mate is dying, he can’t go back in this instance and you will have to get to the end without him

an other idea to do a compromise maybe and i say maybe the random breaking equipped item penality could happens only on dungeons or raid

1 Like

1.The bounty could be proportional (but a little less) to the durability lost from the gear of the player you killed.
That would prevent naked bounty farming in a dark corner of the map. If you can get more from killing an outlaw that it cost to make a bounty, people will only farm them.

2.Unless bandit have a giant beam over their head, I believe it would still be pretty easy to sneak on someone.

3.As I understand it the police seem to be intended as player driven. So, you could ask help from others to make them move, or if they are too strong, go elsewhere.

1 Like

I’m not going to dive into all these specific things just yet since we’re still fleshing out the system, but I am reading all of the thoughts/suggestions/concerns.

However, I did want to point out, that when you are in an instance such as a dungeon, when you die you reawaken at the entrance to the instance, not outside of it. So once your group makes it into the instance, you don’t have to worry about anyone interrupting you or making it back through the Wilds to re-enter the instance or anything like that.

The bounty on a bandit’s head will not be so great that it will offset the cost to the bandit killed in both time and money to make it worthwhile to “farm” bandits. There are also long-term costs of being a bandit that would make this a bad idea. As I’ve said before, obviously this type of behavior is not what we’re looking for and if the disincentives aren’t strong enough we’ll change them until no one will do it haha. I’m not saying it will never happen (people do weird things), but we’ll make it so that this is not in any way an ideal way of making money, you’d be better off doing something else.

3 Likes