Does Orbus need rebalancing?

There’s two almost completely separate topics in this thread, class balancing and the economy.

With the economic issue, there aren’t enough important mats or gathered in different ways to make this very interesting is my problem with it.

Important here being anything used in a consumable while having a non-trivial supply. A lot of these are related to fishing which is good since some players enjoy this and others do not so it adds some variety to the economy.

The most fun I had trading in Orbus was right after tinkering was introduced since there was now an economic reason to either grind public events for springs or farm wood cogs from sewer rat and then hawk these wares in highsteppe. Unfortunately, most of these were one-offs for the tinkerer tools and mounts and the lvl 30 player base does not seem to be increasing fast enough to support high trading volume for these. Last time I checked prices were pretty low for both of these. Also pretty sure wood cog rate has been drastically increased.

High-end PvE mats (Besides fishing) could make the activities more interesting. For example, a box from an enraged world boss with the same rarity as ring but that drops 50 of some crafting material ideally used in a consumable and can only be acquired in this method. Maybe could be added to the Lamavora boss since few do that one.

Maybe another material that either requires significant climbing to get to, or is in an area so densely mob packed (maybe with Chaos Bolters) that it basically requires a larger party to get (anything in Wastelands can be easily grabbed solo). A rare mat via treasure chest would be good as well.

I’m pretty sure PvP required zones are never going to come back but if they did, a mat there would make the economy more diverse as well since trade between PvPers and non-PvPers is then required.

Of course, it’s nice if this can all respect the players time as well which is really hard to do. A lot of this comes down to a lack of serious dram sinks and oversupply of items.

I’ve spent significantly less time farming for the potions ever since the daily drops were implemented ages ago. This is nice since it lets me play high end content without worrying about also scheduling time to farm for most mats. However, it contributes heavily to the game feeling more like a dungeon runner and less of an active world with different players approaching the economy in different ways.

1 Like

^This. This is a good example of how to properly implement rare resources in a way that is both rare and valuable, as well as fun and interactive to acquire. Unlike the rarity of Obsidian before the recent change, where the way to get this too used resource from its too little supply is to camp it out and to wait. Nothing about that activity is fun or pleasant. Yes you could level your grinder while you wait, but in the end you still have to wait.

I’m not really sure when did Obsidian became such fought over material, maybe it’s because I was gone for like 6 months, but Obsidian has always been rare. Just like Linstanium(Not sure how it’s actually spelled) used to be. The difference between the two was that before reborn, the community was small enough that the rarity of Linstanium didn’t matter too much. I may be wrong, but I think it’s because the influx of new players and more dedicated material farmers camping out the Obsidian spots every minute of the day. Some times you may get lucky walking in on a cave full of Obsidian.

Another rummer I’ve heard was that some groups of people actually just collects those things like it’s gold and sits on it instead of selling it and circulating it through the market. This actually kind of upsets me. Again, just a rummer, don’t know if it’s true.

One way to fix this would be like what Kala suggested, put Obsidian and other similar rarity materials in the world boss loot tables.

1 Like

The reason for the issues around Obsidian is its ever increasing requirement for an array of quests and crafts, as well as its less that numerous availability and broken or wonky spawning mechanics.

While there may be a rumor of a ‘Mob Boss’ camping out the ore to scoop it up and hoard it, its so ridiculous in the grand scheme of things that i wouldnt consider it a factor, but more the community directing its frustration at something they feel they can change or affect.

Overall, the availability was spotty and not very high, creating artificial scarcity. Meanwhile the need for it continued to grow, creating artificial demand. The demand could not meet the supply to the point of frustration of the community. Thus i needed to be changed

That’s why in old orbus my player house was in the rainforest. So I could farm it easily. :grin:

My playerhouse was everywhere, and always portaled me to HS no matter where I entered, thanks to bugs XD…

1 Like

yah you could enter any house you bought once, but it moved you to your last purchase. I wanted them to change it to interlocked doors like in Howls moving castle, but no luck.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.