Dragon, desert dungeon aoe

Hmm, that’s true for the elite big Vasula Warriors in the Rainforest, so is possible here too.

But Burnator brought up the dragon’s head turning, which is what would happen if the warrior jumps too early in the attack cycle, so that the dragon follows and then channels the AOE.

I guess a long jump would work, not giving the dragon time to turn fully, but then it risks hitting a ally. Or just wait till you see the fire and do a small jump.

Most fun if someone ells manage to pull agro att this stage and the aoe starts moving forward. That area is quite large, deals good damage, and leave the indicator behind :yum:

It’s basicly the same bug that made twinkletows so dangerous, with the aoe moving with the charge attack.

It made my day to see the name Twinkle Toes in print! I dubbed him that a couple of months back.

I hope the dragon gets straightened out for ya!

I believe you are correct. The dragon’s AOE visuals don’t seem to match with the damage application. There seems to be several issues here that involve both the tailswipe AOE and the fire breath AOE.

Tailswipe AOE

This AOE is larger than the visual provided and can hit the player even if the tank is clearly standing outside of the visual. The AOE also extends to the front of the dragon, meaning tanks that are too close to the mouth of the dragon will take damage from the tailswipe AOE even if they are clearly standing outside of it from all other player perspectives.

Dragon Breath AOE

Like you described Burnator, the dragon’s AOE seems to turn with you if you dodge too fast. It also seems to apply before the visual goes away.

Its clear that the AOE visual warning is mismatched because the Dragon’s AOE breath animation occurs while the warning field is still up, yet it does no damage during the first second.

When dodging too fast, the dragon’s breath seems to follow the tank even if it stays stationary. The result is that the tank gets hit by the AOE even though they are clearly out of the AOE, and that the dragon hasn’t turned with the tank.

I hope these bugs can be addressed soon.

If you are referring to the Sentry boss in Tradu Labs, the laser beam attack still hits targets close to the boss behind him even though the AOE warning visual is nowhere close, another bug that hasn’t been fixed.

1 Like

Sorry, should use the right name. It’s the blue guardians, they used to be deadly as there aoe moved with the charge animation, but that got fixed.

Hmmm…that’s interesting, as we did a lot of testing on this originally and I’m pretty sure it’s fixed.

In general, the way the AoE’s are supposed to work is the red box indicator (or circle indicator) is all that matters. Once it displays, it is locked into place, and if you are inside of it when it disappears, you will get hit (although due to latency the box may disappear on the server before you see it disappear on the client by 100-200ms so keep that in mind). But things like the monster turning or the particle effects of the fire breath or anything like that really should have no effect on it whatsoever, those are just “visual effects” if that makes sense, and are run by a different system. The red area is all that matters.

I will do some further testing on this just to be sure, though, because of course it’s entirely possible it is broken for some reason on the Dragon, but since it uses the same system on every Monster that would be a little weird …

So the fix point is set to the ground and not inside the monsters body?

Yeah, i think this is the crux of the issue on the dragon. For whatever reason, if you jump out of his frontal AE within 0.X seconds of the ground telegraph appearing, you will get hit with it when the damage is applied, even though the telegraph didn’t move. If you wait a little longer before moving, you can generally avoid it. I agree with Fern that it’s manageable once you learn it, but it definitely is inconsistent with the way other AE’s behave.

And that’s the problem. The boss doesn’t turn with the tank who dodges. It does however visually breathe fire even though the warning visual is still active (ideally it shouldn’t do anything until after that visual goes away).

Regardless of how the red area works, tanks seem to get hit way outside the range of the AOE, even behind the dragon in some cases which is likely due to the fact the dragon’s AOE is following the tank after the red visual appears if they dodge too fast.

And its possible the same system has mis matched AOE sizes for the visual and actual damage too. The sentry and most AOEs still deal damage behind the enemy if you are too close. Ifrits are another example of this. The corrupted stags also have mismatched AOE visuals and AOE damage sizes. Even potion keeper has this problem. I know you said you fixed all the AOE visual issues a while back but these seemed to have gone overlooked.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.