Dungeon queue consistently puts me in jungle

The matchmaking system was described as queue for 3 dungeons but the only dungeon it ever puts me in is Jungle. Bug? Will we ever be able to opt out of dungeons in the queue or queue for a specific dungeon?

How many times have you successfully queued into a dungeon?

5 so far. I guess it’s conceivable to randomly get the same dungeon 5 times in a row… but I’m worried I won’t be able to get the MSQ’s I have in cave finished if it puts me exclusively in Jungle.

We plan on adding more to the dungeon queues. This is sort of a phase one to just get the matchmaking into the game and fix all of the bugs that went with it. Afterwards, I can add tweaks to the matching algorithm to make it better, and just add more quality-of-life stuff as well. We’ve talked about individual dungeon queuing, but not sure if that set in stone yet or not. But don’t worry, there is more to come!

Particularly for the topic of avoiding the same dungeon multiple times in a row, had a thought while typing this. It is currently is a pretty high chance to have this happen since there are only 3 dungeons in the rotation. Regardless if we add individual dungeon queues or not… One possible tweak is to keep track of the last dungeon the player participated in. Then when the matchmaker puts a group together, it can look at everyone’s previous dungeon and weigh the random roll accordingly to at least try to avoid running the same dungeon twice for majority of the players in that party. This wouldn’t impact queue wait times either! I like that idea… I’m writing it down.

5 Likes

Hm some are actually hoping for multiple same dungeons in a row, for example to farm dyes ;). But it’s all RNG and 5 times in a row sounds extreme, this don’t-get-double mechanic would definitely allow more planing.

Individual queues: With current player base this could produce such a high waiting time that it would likely need additions like a display of how many are waiting and for what, so the selection can be widened to find a group at all; so far the feature is meant for newer players and gear/leveling, and these likely don’t care which one they do (if there’s tokens to get I wouldn’t either).

If queues ever get extended to Tradu - what I hope - then a selection of dungeons would be nice though, since I am not really in the mood to farm Forest with random groups, but Lab I would like to and I believe the selection of others would often match.

I have been in the desert all 4 times I used the queue. You are not alone :upside_down_face:

Sounds like a good plan to increase the change of other dungeons @kyle_l . You can also add the following to also reduce the change of going back and forth between 2 dungeons and missing the third:
Start of with all 3 dungeons having an equal change. Remember on which dungeon run a player did the last of that dungeon. For every run a player did not run that type of dungeon, the change increases for the group that this dungeon will be run.

I would implement it like this example:
player1 ran dungeons on: 4th run desert, 5th run jungle, 2th run maeo
player2 ran dungeons on: 15th run desert, 13th run jungle, 11th run maeo

player1 current run: 6
player2 current run: 16

base points for every dungeon: 5 (a higher number would increase the randomness, thus bringing it closer to completely random)
total points desert: 5+(6-4) + 5+(16-15) = 13 points
total points jungle: 5+(6-5) + 5+(16-13) = 14 points
total points maeo : 5+(6-2) + 5+(16-11) = 19 points

so total points are: 13+14+19= 46 points
thus:
desert change = 13/46 = ~28% to get desert
jungle change = 14/46 = ~30% to get jungle
maeo change = 19/46 = ~41% to get maeo

This trick increased the change of a maeo dungeon by alot because both players didn’t do maeo for a few dungeons. I think decreasing the base points would be even better causing something like a 60% meao which should be more desirable IMO :stuck_out_tongue:

And this trick also helps the really unlucky people who keep missing a particular dungeon. This keeps increasing the change of them doing that dungeon.

And to also prevent doing the same dungeon twice you just add 1 variable which reduces the points of the last dungeon you played even more.

1 Like

Looking forward to any changes with the current system. Spent about 6 hours on the game today with the que up the whole time and never got a dungeon pop. Individual que would be nice, but also a player incentive to actually que would be a nice addition as well. Like a daily reward, or using the que system and getting a EXP bonus. Played yesterday and was running with a fixed party for a few rainforest runs, it seems like its faster to level solo then it is in a group.

Yep! We plan on adding exp and rewards to the dungeons. We rolled out the queueing system and level scaling as a sort of phase 1 of the system as a whole. We wanted to get the complicated part put out and fix any bugs before we headed out for the week of Oculus Connect 5 (last week)! So now are back, and hopefully can add in some nicer incentives to run dungeons. Not sure of an exact timeline, but it is definitely in my sights to get worked on.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.