Dye system rework

With the current dye system you have accent and major colors, not all dyes are available in both accent and major variants so if you want the major parts of your chestpiece to be bright green, well you can’t. Because sewer rat accent dye is only available as an accent color. Adding every dye as both a major and accent would work, but it would almost double the available dyes and take up almost 2 whole pages in your chest.

In my post on the lack of dyes I suggested to implement a swap system, where you could swap what parts on a piece of gear would be the accent and major. This would allow more customization, but if you wanted two dyes that are only available as accents or majors, e.g. navy blue and emerald or magic purple and toxic waste you wouldn’t be able to have those dye combinations.

What would IMO be the best solution to allow the most amount of customization and not fill everyones chests with an insane amount of dyes would be to get rid of the major and accent system on dyes, not on gear tho. Basically all dyes, instead of being major or accent dyes, would simply be dyes.
Teal accent would become teal dye, brick major would become brick dye, etc. for any of the dyes that are currently available as both accent and major, both would become the same item so crimson major and crimson accent would both become crimson dye, pure white major and snow accent would both become pure white dye, ect.

When you want to apply a dye the “apply dye” check would let you choose whether you want to apply the dye as an accent or a major dye. That way you could pick any dye in the game and choose if you want the major parts OR the accent parts of your gear to have that color.

This is IMO how the dye system should have been made in the first place to allow full customization with all the dyes currently available.

12 Likes

would be cool to have a rainbow dye also a teal major and royal purple major also would be cool to turn accents to major and major to accents

1 Like

I like this idea, another idea I read before (edit: credit to Sir_Schmoopy) was to have the dyes place-able into the transmog wardrobe.

So, if the dye system stays the same with the split between accent and major (that I kind of like) then the missing dyes can be added in because all the dyes could be placed into the wardrobe. This would even free up the player chest from needing a whole tab worth of dyes. Perhaps with the house customisation (and tinkerer) that’s being planned this could be something to work towards and buy/craft as a player.

2 Likes

I posted this idea awhile back

1 Like

also be cool have a color chart and craft different colors

I think they are actually different shades.
but I think that would be grate for the rest of the dyes.
I would also like to add a dye powder maker like over world drops of powder that can be mixed and become different colours. (also I’m holding outlander to the green shard dyes. he should know what I mean:joy:)

Considering dyes in real life originally came from herbs, flowers, fruits, and stuff I think your idea would be great just make more in game harvestables to make more dyes. Could kinda be like how Minecraft does there dyes where there’s multiple colors and shades of colors by combining the base set of colors. Could even add “bonemeal” as a loot drop from enemies or stuff like king stag and truffle hogs. This can help with shading for at least lightening the color up plus can be a new ingredient for potions possibly. @Sparky

They do have a “make your own dye” system in Final Fantasy 14, so the devs could use that system as a reference point if they did decide to go that route.
I’m personally for the transmog closet unlock idea, as I honestly can’t say I’ll ever use the 118 brick major dyes I have, even if I tried to. Though, I can’t argue the potential for them to be used in the economy as well, as someone who’s planning on buying a few pure white dye, so I can understand if they left the current system alone. Otherwise with the mixing system, you’ll have minutely imperfect potions flooding the auction house in the same way that imperfectly colored dragons are now.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.