Enemy healing is too strong

He meant Draven :joy:

1 Like

My personal opinion is that I really really like that there are mobs that not everyone can kill. It makes the world dangerous and exciting. Think the griffons in Commonlands in Everquest.

1 Like

Damn, that’s cold man.

1 Like

Nah, he is just “Craven some Draven”. #AllensNewBattleCry

for those who wish to see the whole thing in action
shameless youtube vid here

1 Like

I smell a new and very official nickname!

what level were you xaviar_p when you took this video, I saw the two people you were playing with were lvl 8 but could’nt tell what level you were.

I was level 6 but there were 3 of us fighting.
Personally, I saw nothing wrong with how often I was dying
but 3 of us fighting one healer should be a little less trouble

It should be hard. That’s just the thing. You’ve got 3 people under level, why shouldn’t that be a big challenge? If you had a full party it would have been super easy. So where do you want to balance it? Should the game just be easy so you can do higher than your level content? Or should you be forced to go do content that suits your skill and level?

I personally don’t think that the enemies should be dulled down. The game is a challenge. That makes it fun and gives it a feeling of accomplishment. One I haven’t felt in years while playing an mmo. Because MMO’s are just easy now days.

If this game stops providing a challenge… I’d be very sad.

It’s not that anyone wants the game to stop being challenging, it’s that the healing mobs are unbalanced.

In the video, it shows that the pull is a frog healer and a boar, both the same level. I can solo the boar, with ease (once it’s pulled away from the healer), even though I’m underleveled. However, I can’t solo the healer… we can’t even kill the healer with just the 2 mages… it takes all 3 of us working together to bring down this 1 non-elite mob. That’s where the problem is. If it was labeled as elite, no problem, move on. But currently healers are so difficult that they’re basically elite class mobs that aren’t intended to be elite.

1 Like

I ran into the same issue though, with the golem heals too, as a musketeer, and they were yellow/green tier.

It takes me 10-15 minutes to kill one.

I agree the healing is too strong. Please either increase the cooldown, or decrease the strength. For the frog healer in particular, it almost looks like it could be doing the full amount per tick. I believe I saw it healing for 120 when I want to say I was hitting it for 35-ish?

Though I do have an amusing related story from open alpha… I fought one of the earth golems and got trapped in an “epic” fight nobody could win… We could each out-heal the other, and I hadn’t learned to run away yet… We probably traded attacks/heals for 5 or 6 minutes, before someone happened to walk by and help me finish it off.

Another option is to just let them heal a limited number of times, like 3 or 5 or something. If you want to be efficient, you definitely don’t want to wait them out, but if you can’t burn them down, you can still eventually overcome them.

yes but if you limit how many times they can heal then it’s not a challenge its a contest of your patience to grind through all those heals and once you know that its stops being hard at that point your strategy becomes hit it till it stops heals

Right, given that these are trash mobs I’m suggesting it could be less of a direct challenge and more of a question of efficiency. What I’m saying is the options aren’t just “If DPS < X you eventually die, and if DPS > X you eventually win”, and more of a "If you want to be as efficient as possible you need to address the healing, otherwise it’s beatable but takes significantly longer for an overall efficiency hit’.

I think the best way to solve the issue as a whole, is make sure each class has an ability that can interrupt the heal. and make it obvious that the mob is casting a heal.\

And amend this, and say instead of all an interrupt. at least all classes should have some way to mitigate the issue. Interrupt being a possibility. (especially for lower dps classes like the warrior/musketeer)

I would argue that this is probably the easiest way to fix the issue, but not necessarily the best. My concern is that if every class has an interrupt ability then the argument will be made that every class deserves a silence. Then every class needs a movement impairing ability, which every class would then need a way out of… You see where this is going. I am a big fan of class identity and, to me, that is more than just playing a mage-skinned version of the same thing everyone else has.

I think adding a casting animation alone would go a long way in solving this issue. I found the earth golems particularly difficult when I was trying to tackle them as musketeer, but eventually figured out a way to handle them. It required shooting a lifewell below my feet and tossing out a turret just before the mob healed. The, immediately after, hitting it with a weakness and a poison before unloading on it, clicking the trigger far more rapidly than my gun was willing to fire. It usually took two rounds of this to finish off the healer, but if I weren’t able to get the pre-healing and post-healing combos off at the correct times it was basically a waste.

Once I got the timing for the heals down it wasn’t too bad, but having a casting animation to know exactly when to drop the lifewell and toss my turret would have made the process easier.

Edit: Earth golems was originally healing mobs. I never tried this strategy on the frog healers and cannot claim it works the same for them.

1 Like

I tried a similar strategy. I just used renew instead. I also attempted to augment with the gravity spell a few times, (which i thought might interrupt the cast).

Even with timing it perfectly, damage turret already deployed, getting the poison/weakness orb out. I could never burn its health down less then 1/3 before it would heal itself fully again. How I generally got it down, was when I was lucky enough that the heal he cast didn’t cap out his health. I’d usually have to go through 10+ heals before, the heal amount RNG was low enough that I could burn through it with damage.

And if you threw in 2 of them, you pretty much had to give up. attempt to get out of combat, and try again.

(levels 5-8)

To elaborate a little further, I was only able to have this amount of success with an earth golem that was the same level as myself. If it were a level higher than me it wasn’t happening unless I crit well, which would take ages to pull off, and two of them wasn’t even a remote possibility. If I accidentally pulled two the immediate reaction was to just gtfo and try the pull again. Also, if the timing weren’t exactly right they’d full heal, I’d lose too much ground and the entire round of abilities was a waste, which is why I think an indication of when they are casting would be helpful so I’d have a much better idea exactly when to unload all my cooldowns.

I also wasn’t trying to say that the system is perfect as is. The healing mobs, in my experience, are definitely a challenge solo, especially for the lower DPS classes. I was just voicing that giving each class the same tool to counter the issue isn’t the solution I would like to see and trying to present an alternate scenario based on the class I had the most trouble with.

The general consensus may be that requiring that level of timing and precision is too much to expect of new players, but the game is designed to heavily encourage group play and social interaction. I definitely feel like it should be do-able solo, but don’t believe requiring you go into combat with a well defined plan is too much to ask. If that’s really how you choose to play the game you should probably expect to have a tougher time than the group of five leveling past you.

Edit (again): Bit of an afterthought here, but I also appreciate the bit of realism this provides. If I were to come face to face with a magically imbued, self regenerating mound of earth when helping out on my uncle’s farm I’d definitely need to think long and hard before picking a fight with it.

Aside from healers, are there any other mobs in the game that are this difficult at a comparable level?

Honestly, I’m not sure what everyone is talking about with any mobs being “difficult”. With a few exceptions (spirits), most all mobs in the overworld have no mechanics… you just have a DPS race, kill them before they kill you. Nothing about that is “difficult”.

Healing mobs are the same way, kill them before they kill you, but in their case the DPS required to kill them (at all) is much higher than other mobs of their same level, which is unbalanced.

If you want mobs to be “difficult”, try requesting mechanics to be added instead.
Here’s some mechanic ideas to make mobs actually more difficult instead of simply requiring higher DPS numbers:

• Mobs place red areas on the player instead of on around the mob (ie. mobs can toss “grenades”, or grenade-like things)
  • Mobs do an attack that requires the player to face away
  • Mobs debuff the player, reducing the damage they do until a condition is met
  • Mobs teleport the player to them, or teleport themself to the player
    etc etc.

Some mobs already have some mechanics “to make them more difficult”, however since 3/4 of the classes in the game are ranged, they’re able to either kill the mob before the mechanic happens, ignore the mechanic completely, or kite the mob until it dies thus not have to deal with any difficulty mechanics.