EXP potions, the solution to our biggest issue!

Currently the word on the street is the lack of leveling quests or the grind of all grinds is causing a lot of players to quit or not level alts.

In fellowship today we brain stormed a lot about how this could be fixed and the best idea we could come up with was EXP potions.

This truly fits into the game as we can create potions and it could be a good money maker and boost the economy.

The idea would be that exp potions can be created with the hardest materials to find, thus not making it easy for new players to skip right through the content.

Exp bonus should apply to kills only and not increase quest exp.

Exp potions should not be ageable and should not be tradeable. This would increase the amount of items being sold in the economy and removed for the game from being consumed .

This is just an idea and my thoughts on the idea.

Please share your thoughts and let’s see if the devs will make his happen!!!

7 Likes

Damander, i think this is a great thought, but I’m not sure it would fundamentally fix the problem. When you talk about having to use rare materials, you are still talking about a big grind to some extent. We need content from lvl 15-20 that keeps the normal pace of 80% quests and discovery, 20% slightly behind grind. We need to retain the player base who fundamentally love the sense of discovery with the game and who want to keep playing, but can’t put up with the grind necessary to make it to 20 where they can learn to interact with end game content.

Valid point my friend . This idea was meant more for players who have ran out off quests and want to continue leveling alts and not give up due to the monotonous grind.

leveling is already so insanely easy though i 20’d archer and mage just over 1 week… god forbid you give players who are hardcore xp potions heh :slight_smile:

Slandaro

2 Likes

Slandaro, want to level my alt for me? J/k. I have kids and a limited time to play, just started leveling my alt and its tedious and slow going. Grind rabbits, grind crabs, grind foxes blah blah blah. I’ve been playing MMOs since EverQuest and actually don’t mind grinding but grinding one mob after the next from 1 to 20 (without quests to turn in) seems like a chore. Wouldn’t mind grinding materials for a XP potion that boosts generous amounts of XP for a decent amount of time. Maybe 1 hour per potion? I don’t know. Would love to max all classes but doing that at the current state is stale and boring.

• airbagit
2 Likes

I agree with an xp potion being more of a bandaid than anything. You keep giving me quests and I’ll keep doing them, and I’ll do them on alts for the xp. Riley has mentioned that the next big content includes (I think) LVL 18-20 quests which is a big step, since that was the toughest section when leveling my first character to 20, but I think we need xp beyond that. The first character isn’t the biggest problem, it’s alts that are tough, which is where I see where Damander is coming from, and agree on that front.

I think getting xp for harvesting mats, maybe for exploring, for crafting, etc should be a priority. I spent all of today on ithecac exploring the world and then artificing… It would be great if I got xp for that stuff. How about surplus xp on a LVL 20 character being stored to use on whatever alt you want? Like a consumable xp shard? That way you gotta work for it, but you can “bank” it for use on an alt?

1 Like

I like the way you’re thinking.

• airbagit

trust me i get it i have kiddos as well but im fortunate enough to work from home so yes i have lots of play time but the problem with xp potions is yes its nice for the people who dont have time but its sooo overpowerful for someone like me who has the time. kind of a double edged sword. ive actually played mmo’s since before everquest…(non graphical multi user dungeons) and something ive always noticed is once they put in xp potions it usually goes downhill on the to easy scale. something like that would need to be a rare reward for a anniversary or something. if people are quitting now because its to hard to level they’ll definately also quit if its to easy those typically arent players a mmo will keep anyhow… one thing i loved about EQ when it first came out was it took upwards to a year to hit that first level 50 max character. the challenge brought alot of players back every day. id just hate to see this place get WoW’d up on the easy scale is all… but i do understand the need for people who dont have the time hit me up sometime in game i dont mind PL’ing while im farming stuff for my market stall your welcome to just soak up the xp while i mass kill lol :slight_smile:

Slandaro

1 Like

Leveling is easy enough. There is no magic special content at Level 20. Also, I feel that with this game it takes a long time for people to get really good at there classes. If people get to 20 too fast you will end up with a bunch of people that are 20 at every class, but not great at any with nothing really to do but run the same mines over and over again.
This is a small team game. There isn’t 100 hours of new interesting content. Grinding will be required. What you can do is group while you level and try to take on challenging things as you level this keeps it interesting.

2 Likes

I had the same thought, classes like the mage require to do spells 100s times until they function reliably, no way you can really learn that class if you just level by questing or potions. And yet arriving at 20 with poor skills can happen this or that way. I am catching myself sticking to the same arrows/spells/orbs which work for mobs outside dungeons, while doing so in partys or dungeons does not work, at all.
Some say leveling is super-fast, I second that, yea, if you play all day or weekend long it is - and most even registering on a game’s forum are no mere casuals -, but think of those who play 2-3h a day, couple times a week, it will take them much longer.
So I wouldn’t mind a healthy mix of questing and grinding, which is likely best, throwing in potions, why not, it would boost the market, perhaps it can be balanced/limited so leveling only with these is not possible.

Dailies and repeatable quests would be great, too. Oh, and different rewards depending on class level, so you get drams for EVERY quest you turn in as a level 20 and drams/xp only if you are lower.

As I said previously, this is coming in Content Patch Two. There will be quests and XP from those quests to get you through that last chunk hopefully. I agree it’s an issue currently.

I did at one point consider XP Potions that would help level up Alts faster, but in the end we just gave the global 30% boost already.

1 Like

So, does the 30% boost only apply to the 1st alt? I’m now lvl 20 on 3. The third class didn’t seem to get the %bonus that my 2nd did. I’m now on my 4th which is purely grind of course. so does that 30% extend to my 4th class leveling?

Basically if you are leveling a class that is lower level than your max-level class, you are getting the bonus.

2 Likes

It extends to every class that isn’t your max level class.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.