Favorite battle discipline

Hi everyone,

I was just curious about your favorite class / character that you like(ed) to play in OrbusVR?

I got to thinking about this question after reading a post from @Yazzle about his return to the game and which class people would recommend to lvl first.

I know there have been discussions in the past about the need for more tanks because it is the most physically taxing or more mages because of their utility, but what do you think?

We all know well known players in the game that are good at certain classes. More than likely, if I name individuals you could easily say which class they play(ed) the most: @Decoy, @Crazie, @Rickness_Voidwalker , @Whargoul, etc. All of them have multiple lvl 20 characters, but we all have our favorites. I am curious to know what is you favorite and why? Is the first character you leveled your favorite or did it change over time as you became more comfortable with the other disciplines?

I personally like playing my lvl 20 Musketeer so much so that after playing for almost a year I still do not have another discipline fully to lvl 20. I have always played healing or support roles in RPG’s and I am excited that there are new roles coming soon in which I might enjoy more support abilities. I believe many players downplay the importance of a good musketeer because it is easy to learn and seems like a simple point and shoot role. It becomes very obvious how good a person is with a character when you do harder content and find it taking longer than normal to get though or that the tank, which usually means the party, keeps dying. Each role is important, but I also believe knowing what your doing with each battle discipline takes time to learn and plays a big part in being able to finish certain content.

When in group play things like line-of-sight to the tank, which orbs to equip. when to combat resurrect, use of a super, not blocking the spells of the mages, and being aware of everyones health status are all things that, in my opinion, makes the musketeer more dynamic and fun to play over the other disciplines. And tanks, bless you for wailing away looking for those hits boxes to get your provokes in.

I soloed the main quests of my musketeer to level 20 learning individual attacks patterns of each monster while teaming up with others to complete the dungeons or learning that Aberrations and the wilds are not a place to be tackled alone. It was a long journey, but along the way I learned how to handle my character in different scenarios and how I was best able to lend support and how to go it alone.

As we get ready for the release of more battle disciplines, I am excited to level my Musketeer to 30 and maybe finally master a new discipline.

As a another thought, are there any players or fellowships that are waiting on the release of OrbusVR Reborn to rejoin the game? I know many died out after getting to 20 and I wonder if we should hold a seance to reconnect to our lost brethren.

1 Like

I like my main best, which was my first 20 and is a musky, mainly because it takes less physical strength to play it for several hours, and because I played healer classes in other RPGs as well. Yet almost everyone has one, so I feel I get to play it less and less since a few weeks. The ranger is also ok, but after like 3h I simply can not go on with it, because my shoulder starts aching; it is tough to do this kind of sports after a hard work day. Sometimes I prefer classic PC games just because of this. The mage: A bit less challenging, physically, yet needs tons of practice. And it is a bit disappointing that even with poor mage skills I seemingly do more or equal dmg compared with my ranger; good mages seem to be also more wanted than rangers. Wished the ranger was buffed a little, just to catch-up on this.

The tank class (got a lvl 18 only) I will not play seriously, because my physical condition isn’t enough for that. Yet I plan to level it to 20, likely later to 30, just to have all classes complete. Also it is of major help for healers if they know what tanks actually (can) do and what not. So I’d recommend every musky to level a tank, and perhaps do some normal dungeons, just to get a feeling for that class. And the other way round, tanks who know the musky orbs and talents really got an advantage when it comes to coordinating.

As for leveling and learning a class, the thing is, the empowered turret talent changes the entire gameplay of the musky class. Just as I believe the mage-talents do and possibly other talents as well. I changed my whole routine when talents came out, specially the last talent changes everything, least for the musky. So a good part of the actual learning begins with level 20 imo, in dungeons, also bosses behave very differently than the mobs outside.

As for deciding if a player is good or not, I wished we had a damage meter, at least a private/personal visible one, because I really would like to compare for example my ranger and my mage. And perhaps compare myself with friends. Though I do see the downside of a function like that, like someone doing damage to boost the meter, risking a wipe because he takes aggro all the time or not stepping away when he should. But the advantages of a dmg meter would likely surpass the disadvantages, by far.

If the tank dies, well… that is either the fault of the tank or the fault of the healer or the fault of the dps ;). For example the poison mobs, if they do not go down fast enough neither healer nor tank are really responsible, it is a dps issue. Only real skilled players can tell who’s responsible for a wipe and sometimes not even them, it is not as easy as in other mmorpgs I think. Mostly you only see what is happening if you play with the same persons a lot of times and in different dungeons.

With some groups shard dungeons feel like they go buttery-smooth, with other groups the very same dungeons feel like glue, taking forever with countless wipes and this is not necessarily because of one person, only. A group of mediocre players attempting higher shards might experience same.

As for reborn, I know several players announcing they come back when it is released. But we will see if that is only promises, I heard others telling same when raids were announced, yet they did not.

@Micah_S I totally agree with you about musky. Just because you have a level 20 musky doesn’t mean you can heal all the fights. You also need to know the fights and mechanics like a tank, to save him.

I started out wanting to be a mage at first, but I was so squishy and just kept dying because I never grouped up in the beginning. I almost quit the game early on as a level 7 mage because I just kept dying. It wasn’t until I met DaddyDutyVR who really kept me in the game and taught me how to be an awesome musky. Decoy too helped as well and helped me with the quests. I was fortunate to have met them. I level to my 20 first on my musky, then realized there was a shortage of tanks, so I worked on that next. Once I got my tank to 20, I leveled my mage then ranger. My favorite class to play is my mage right now because of all the DPS and it’s fun to draw the spells. I like the musky too and prefer to play it especially for mist keeper. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to gear up all my 4 classes, but wanted to focus on 2 first to concentrate on, which is mage and musky. The tank was a stressful class to play because if I died, it was a wipe. This class I couldn’t play by myself to practice, so I would usually need to practice as a group. I do play ranger once in a while.

I am looking forward to the next new classes in reborn though!

I started as a ranger and it’s still my favourite, I leveled my mage after because it was fun to play around learning spells etc, once I got to level 20 I realised very quickly that I’m a bad mage for end game content, my warrior I leveled up around the same time as my mage, but I wasn’t really interested in tanking, I do it when there is no other option and I don’t see myself as a good tank, probably something I should work on but I’d rather not tank if in can avoid it, so I normally only really tank the lower content.

I leveled my 1st 3 level 20s with friends but my muskie I did solo when no one else was online, it was something I really enjoyed doing until around level 18 or so then it just dragged on, I ended up getting boosted for the last bit. I do enjoy healing and it’s always my second choice after my ranger, I mostly use mage for farming jungle dungeon so I guess for endgame content it goes Ranger>Muskie>Warrior>Mage

I play precision on my ranger, the big crits are great and I love seeing them :grin: just wish we had more utility and our special bar would build up as fast as if does for mages cause good mages are OP

1 Like

Honestly, for the first time in any game, I’m LOVING Warrior! I don’t know if it stems from my fighting in the SCA/Amtgard or what, but I can’t step away from it.

I also enjoy Runemage, but mostly do that out of any dangerous combat. Just drawing the runes and getting that satisfaction of having done it right makes me really happy.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.