Fishing Myths @riley

I hear a lot of myths and I’m wondering which ones are true (if any).

True/False:

1. The higher your fishing level the higher chance of catching a fish.

2. Fishing potions work for only 10 casts (if not how many, and how many does an aged one do?)

3. Certain lakes have certain fish (I.e it’s impossible to catch clownfish in the starting area lake no matter your lure) (if this is the case how am I supposed to find out what lakes have what without wasting hours on the wrong lakes?)

4. Certain lakes have better catch rates than others (I.e your more likely to catch sunfish than bass in the starting area but in another lake you might have a better chance for bass AND if #3 is false then are you more likely to catch clownfish faster in certain lakes than others?)

5. The longer the lure is in the water the higher the chance of a fish biting (I.e your chances scale like after 10 seconds your chances double)

Lastly: how does the system decide whether a fish will bite or not? Is it just every second it runs RNG for if your going to catch a fish? Is it predetermined that after x amount of seconds you will catch a fish etc.

It’s amazing how many people say these things but I’m pretty sure most of them are wrong. Maybe you should have these myths cleared up in game as well when you complete the second fishing quest or something.

2 Likes

1, not sure about higher chance to catch, i think it’s just better at reeling them in
2.fishing potions work for a time period which seems pretty long. i’m convinced they only increase the size of fish not the number caught. i don’t catch 10Lb fish without performance enhancing drugs
3.certain lakes DO have different fish. the lake will inform you of what fish it has through less than subtle hints
4. catch rates are probably linked to what species of fish are there. most seem to have 3 species in them so one is most likely the common fish and the third is probably rare
5. i’ve read that there is equal chance for catching a fish per cast. so people winding the lure in quickly have just as much luck as people letting it drift back but the people winding in quickly can do more casts per hour.

1 Seems to be a total myth. But I can’t prove anything.

2 No clue if this is true.

3 Some fish are indeed only catch-able in certain lakes. I can not prove this sadly with a post of a dev.

4 Nu clue if this is true.

5 Works like given in this post. (So the only one that can’t be a lie haha): Fishing question

The higher your fishing level the higher chance of catching a fish. False, fishing levels do not mean anything in game atm.

Fishing potions work for only 10 casts (if not how many, and how many does an aged one do?) False, they both last 20 minutes

Certain lakes have certain fish (I.e it’s impossible to catch clownfish in the starting area lake no matter your lure) (if this is the case how am I supposed to find out what lakes have what without wasting hours on the wrong lakes?) true, you have to use different lures to figure out which fish is in each lake, every lake has some kinds of fish in it

Certain lakes have better catch rates than others (I.e your more likely to catch sunfish than bass in the starting area but in another lake you might have a better chance for bass AND if #3 is false then are you more likely to catch clownfish faster in certain lakes than others?) kind of true, the lakes will determine which fish you catch and the lure will determine your probability

The longer the lure is in the water the higher the chance of a fish biting (I.e your chances scale like after 10 seconds your chances double) False, the farther you cast the higher chance you have at catching a fish, but whether you leave it in the water or reel it in, you will have the same catch rate.

3 Likes

Watch out Johann, you are saying yes on 5 that only says the amount of time in the water matters. I know you are saying it correctly yourself, but you aren’t correcting the suggestion that time doesn’t matter. Only the distance matters. So reeling it in faster won’t give you less or more changes out of one throw.

good catch, thanks I misread his question, I’ll edit it.

If you cast a lure into a body of water and there’s nothing in that water that would bite on that lure, there is a small chance that a fish that does exist in that water will “Nibble” on the lure and you’ll get a notification like “A green bellied bass nibbled on your lure but didn’t bite.” That means Green Bellied Bass are available in that lake and you are using the wrong kind of lure to catch them.

So by equipping a lure and fishing each body of water for a little bit of time, you can start to build up an idea of what fish are where based on those nibbles.

4 Likes

So to double check my understanding based on wiki-listed fish:

Sunfish react to lures with Lesser Eye, Small Tongue, or a combination of Lesser Eye and Small Tongue. Does a lure with both types of bait increase the chance of getting a bite from a Sunfish?

Katyharan Catfish are described as reacting to Feathers and Small Tooth. The fact that I got a nibble on a lure with only a Feather on it (not a combined Feather and Small Tooth) means that I need both Feathers and Small Tooth on a single lure to catch a catfish?

1 Like

Can you please add Steam achievements for fishing? I’ve seen the in-game ones, but they don’t translate into Steam. Also lvl 20 Fishing should have a Steam achievement like the others. Is there a possibility you’ll add these?

Yes it does.

So…I don’t really want to spoil it, but in the interests of being clear about the mechanic:

• Some fish do have a “required” lure part. Catfish are one of these.
  • You could catch a Catfish with only its required lure part, but having multiple lure parts it’s attracted to will increase your chances.
  • If you don’t have the required lure part, even if you have one of the other lure parts it’s attracted to, it will nibble and not bite.
  • So basically to answer your question, it means that one of those two things (Feather or Small Tooth) is required, and one of them just further increases your chances. So if you made a lure with just a Feather, and a lure with just a Small Tooth, only one of those two lures would work. But a lure with both will give you a better chance than with just the required part.
  • So just to sum it up, there are 3 total parts a Catfish will be attracted to. 1 of those 3 parts is required, the other 2 are optional but further increase your chances.

Generally speaking, all fish other than the really basic ones have at least one required part, some have more than one required part.

Yes it’s on my list.

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s very helpful. Is there any mechanic to tell us that a fish is attracted to a lure part, but that it is not the required lure part? If not, are we just supposed to notice that if we know a fish’s required lure part is X, when we make a lure with X-Y its catch rate increases, but a lure with X-Z still keeps the base catch rate since Z is not a modifier attraction, but Y is? Seems like that would take a huge amount of experimenting and data collection to figure them all out.

If I’m doing the math right, there are 41 possible unique combinations of lure parts (6 listed types on the wiki) that we would have to try out in potentially all the lakes in the game in order to figure out what all the rarest fish that we can catch are. That seems like a huge undertaking, especially given that we may need to try each lure type several times in each lake in case the catch rate of an especially rare type of fish is low enough that, on average, it only bites once every few lure durability cycles. I suppose that this is feasible for a fishing-focused guild to figure out if they systematically assign members to check certain combinations in certain lakes, but given the (entirely understandable) embargo on information sharing (aka spoiling) on forums, many fish would seem to be completely outside the ability for the average player to find on their own.

Maybe it’d be helpful to add a second possible notification along the lines of “A catfish played with your lure for a while, but never took a bite” to signify that catfish are attracted to that type of lure part, but that it is not the required lure part. I guess the same mechanic would work for signifying that you’ve found one of two or three required lure parts for the more rare/selective fish types.

Or maybe I’m just overthinking it.

1 Like

The fishing class is intended to come with a pretty large amount of experimentation and exploration, including lure experimentation. I was just looking and I believe all fish that are available to be caught at this point have been caught by multiple people, so some folks have definitely figured it out.

But yes, to answer your question, it’s intended that you experiment to figure it out. And yes, it might take a while to so.

There’s no embargo on information sharing in-game, in community-run chat servers, etc. I don’t think anyone on the Dev Team expects that every single person who wants to fish will try every combination themselves. As to whether or not people who already have it figured out want to share the info with you, that’s up to them (and I suppose what you’re willing to give them in return for that knowledge).

1 Like

Fair enough.

Oh, yea. For sure. I just meant on the public forum or a community run wiki that the average player might come across.

I guess since there appears to be only 6 kinds of fish in game (according to the wiki, 5 on the alchemy ingredients page + 1 extra on the fishing page), it’s not as crazy as I originally thought.

I don’t want to belabor the point, but just basically the only other thing I want to say is that, we have designed the Alchemy, Fishing, and Artificing classes to have as much depth and require as much dedication to master as any of the combat classes. Just like only a small percent of the player population will end up doing end-game Raids because they have practiced their Warrior skills enough to be good enough to take down those bosses, likewise I fully expect that only a small percentage of players will learn how to catch every fish in the game, or learn how to craft every potion.

It’s pretty easy to catch the beginner fish like the ones on the Wiki, and those are very useful and you can definitely make some good dram selling them as they’re used in a lot of potions and quests and whatnot. But I don’t think that it should even be a “goal” that the average player knows how to catch every fish in the game. That’s what makes the game interesting – it takes dedication to the class to become a master at it.

Not that you’re saying it shouldn’t, but I just wanted to make that general statement in case anyone else comes across this later.

And with that I will get back to boss coding :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve caught every fish with only 1 lure bait?

So there are three fish that aren’t actually in the game yet that require more than one required part. I am just hedging against when those are introduced.

1 Like

@Riley_D Joke’s on you, I have a tackle box full of every lure combination I can create and I’m about to go learn some fishing. Been planning this for a while.

… That’s exactly what his quote said. All fish other than basic fish require at least one bait. The other bait(s) are then just possible modifiers that can increase your chance of a bite.

No Justin meant that he’s caught every available fish in the game using only one part in the lure, but Riley had originally said some fish require more than one part in the lure to catch.

Riley’s later clarification means that right now we can catch everything with just one bait, but in the future the fish will be added that require two or more pieces.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.