Frequent game crashes

I have been having issues with Orbus crashing a lot for me. It tends to happen 10-25ish minutes into gameplay and does not appear to matter what I am doing.

I was directed to an older thread to try some things (Megathread: Frequent Crashes).
So far I have already updated (Windows7, Steam, Vive software, GPU drivers), had Steam verify the game files, checked to make sure I am not in the SteamVR beta nor the Orbus Beta branches, confirmed supersampling is set to 1.0, tried the three connection methods on the login screen.

So far I have not experienced this crash with other games.
System: Intel i7-4820K @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3 2133, GTX1080TI, Vive
Temps around crash time: CPU ~45, GPU ~68

Crash log emailed

Have you tried the different connection methods on the login screen? They are at the bottom of the left side panel. I have one computer that works fine on default, but on another only Proxied doesnt crash.

Yes he has. It’s stated in his post lol

Geeze, well I’m blind. I swear I read through his post twice to make sure it wasn’t there.
Sorry about that!

1 Like

Hmmm…this is very strange. On your Simple/Proxied connection log, you have a memory corruption error. I am used to seeing those on the older Default mode error logs but I have never seen one for a different connection type before. In theory it shouldn’t really be possible since that connection type only uses C#-managed memory.

Do you have anything else running while you are running the game other than SteamVR and Steam?

My only other thoughts are to try disabling the Steam Overlay to see if that helps (right click on OrbusVR in your Steam Library and go to Properties… to do that), and if that doesn’t work try doing a full re-install of the game and not just a verify files.

Also is this new behavior? Or have you just started playing the game and it’s always been happening?

I started playing the game a week ago. The first session ran for around an hour and a half with no issues. Then I had a few sessions of 30-45 minutes (I had not yet turned ss down at this point). Since then it has dropped, but I did just run for 30 min before it crashed. I tend to have a few things open(waterfox/discord/steam/spotify).

I’ll try shutting it all down and disabling the overlay and see what happens.

Shutting everything down and playing didn’t work, so I went ahead with the full uninstall/re-install. This time it crashed, but didn’t take down the system so it generated a crash log this time.

1 Like

Hopefully Riley will be able to find a solution now :smiley:

You are in good hands. If you look at the beta branches there is even one for Shiki because he was crashing all the time so he got is own version of the game :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Same thing happens to me. Last night, i had about 3-4 crashes in about an hour and half total game time. I am using the Oculus version and not steam, though.

Are you also using the Simple or Proxied connection type Bryan?

Whatever the default setting is; I haven’t touched it yet.

Update: Still no clue why it only ever showed up to crash Orbus and not any other games or applications, but found at least one bad stick of RAM. Still running memtest, but fairly certain problem was caused on my end and issue can be closed. Will try playing again once I confirm I have known good sticks in to confirm.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.