Game feedback from a new player

I’m new (have already posted here before though). I have some feedbacks that I would like to offer though, based on my experiences so far. And yes I’m prepared for everyone to tell me to git gud or quit being a whiny sonofabitch Here goes.

General:

I’m just going to go down a list of things I have noticed that could do with some improvement that are not class specific.

1. Gear having to be swapped out 1 by 1 whenever you change class. Just save a different set of armor for each class, and let the weapon-swap trigger the gear swap.
  2. Beginner weapons that I can’t seem to do anything with. I can’t sell em, break them down, or trash them. Let me do something to get them out of my inventory/storage.
  3. Talking on the compass between party & guild. Supposedly there’s a color change involved. I don’t think there is - as shaking it and triggering the lightning keeps it red. Sometimes when I tilt it just right, it randomly turns green - but makes no difference between who I’m talking to. Make the color VERY OBVIOUS to show whom is being talked to.
  4. NPC’s such as the Fishing guy keep taking my stuff, and I don’t even know about it. “Hey go fish 5 fish” translates to “I’m going to take your 5 fish, sucker.” State in the quest that the NPC is going to steal my stuff.
  5. Quest items keep filling up my inventory. Who thought this was a good idea? It’s not liek I can sell this stuff, just more inventory management in the inventory mini-game!.. Stop giving me more quest items then are needed, and actually consume/remove them when I do the quest rather than letting this hammer, rope, and mushroom stick in my inventory after the quest is over.
  6. Why do talent resets need to cost anything? Can’t we just toggle them when we’re out of combat? Why can’t I be a functioning DPS Musketeer until I find out my party is in need of a healer without me having to break the bank? Let me freely swap talents around outside of combat so that I can enjoy all aspects of the class I’m playing when they are needed. Also when I find out I can’t stand a talent like left-hand cast guiding I shouldn’t be punished for the lack of documentation on these things!
  7. I would like a beard option please.
  8. I would like to see where I am on the map when I look at it. The compass is not that useful for figuring out where I am.

Ranger:

Initial Impressions: I LOVE the concept of this class. Finally an MMO where you have to actually aim your bow to hit an enemy. Very well done and a lot of fun.

1. Picking up loot as a Ranger sucks. You have to constantly be putting away bows/arrows to pick up your loot, and this right now is exclusive to Ranger as the only one that holds equipment in both hands even after combat is over. Warrior has a shield, but they can still pick things up while wearing it. Perhaps remove “holding arrows” from the off-hand, and instead just make them appear when pulling back the bowstring? And for special arrows make the a “tap” followed by glowy-finger for indication. That way we can pick up items.
  2. Only being able to use two special arrows feels very limiting, especially compared to Mage that has an arsenal of different skills to choose from. I would like to request a 3rd special arrow slot option.
  3. The trap is pointless for solo-play and leveling. Perhaps a shake-option like the Musketeer turret can be added, where it gets a different effect such as “pushes the enemy back and slows them”, also a much shorter cooldown would be appreciated.

Warrior:

Initial Impressions: Yet another instance of an MMO adding a tank class, and then making them simple/a complete bore to play. This class feels like a chore.

1. Enemies constantly get stuck in my body, which makes doing a combo basically impossible. Make Warrior (and all future melee classes) deflect targets out of their hitbox by default so they can actually face the monster they’re attacking without having to reposition/turn-around?

2. Large shield feels too penalized. In a 2-person lowbie group I was in, Large shield made overall combat take seemingly 2x as long as small shield, and I ended up just taking more overall damage than I would have with small shield because of how long combat lasted. Can’t we differentiate between buckler & shield with something other than a damage penalty? Maybe just give each type of shield different skills? Ideas below.

3. Combo’s seem very non-developed. Cleave feels like it does standard non-combo damage, but in an AoE… Hamstring seems to be useless in pve. Provoke seems to not actually provoke even small mobs (such as the Sprites). It’s a very small library of skills to choose from in the first place too. Some of the talents seem like they should just be baseline. Make cleave stronger. Make default attacks cleave by default. Make wound apply a DoT to begin with.

New Skill ideas:

• Large Shield - Repel: Targets hit by the shield are stunned for 2s and knocked back a small distance. This requires the shield to be smacked at the enemy, not just “enemy runs into shield” as it works right now.
  • Buckler - Bum Rush: Holding your shield out when using Sword Rush stuns the enemy for 2s, and increases the damage they receive from all sources by 10% for 5s.
  • Both Shields - Throw: (offhand trigger) - Lob your shield at the target in front of you, dealing damage.
  • Mighty Strike: (combo) - Deal strong damage to the enemy, and stronger damage if they are already bleeding from Wound.

Musketeer:

Initial Impressions: This probably changes later on, but this class feels like ez-mode compared to Ranger & Runemage. I love the aiming and very long range. I love the dual-purpose turret. I love barrel-loading my rifle with specialty ammunition. I love having 4 different orbs to choose from. The talents look very game-changing and interesting. It’s just great. I feel like this class just has a lot of very well done everything.

Runemage:

Initial Impressions: I feel like a powerhouse with this class. I love memorizing the rune patterns and implementing all the different spells. I can’t stand how quickly I die…

1. Rune recognition is bothering me on some spells. Specifically pushback2 (I don’t care if you think its worthless, I want to use it anyways!), frostbolt3, and arcane missile. I’ve followed the guides, watched the videos, have body-watched other rune-mages that can near-flawlessly spam these skills on a whim. I understand that its a matter of “practice and muscle memory”, I get that. But here’s the thing - if I slow it down reeeeeeal slow, taking my time to painstakingly draw the most perfect imitation of a rune based on either its picture, its shortcut, how it is in the manual, or any other source - I should feel confident that its going to work. Yeah its not going to build muscle memory, because I’m doing it super slow - but it should work. “Holy hell it looks just like the image on the box. It took 30 seconds to draw it, but its perfect!” - and then it doesn’t work. Out of the thousands of attempts to do PB2 and frost3, I’ve gotten PB2 to go off exactly 0 times, and Frost3 to go off exactly once. How can I even begin to build muscle memory for a skill if following the directions on the box to the letter can’t even get the skill to work in the first place? AND POLYMORPH!, WTF! It’s the most simple bow-tie drawing in existence. Fails 9/10 times. Meanwhile mana shield activates 100% of the time no matter what retarded shape I come up with for it. And my perfect Frost2’s become Fire2’s!? I don’t get it. It feels bad. I love what Runemage is capable, but what the heck. Don’t make it easy-mode by making rune recognition super accepting. But make it at least recognize shapes that the book advertises. Frost3 should still be possible to cast if you spend a long time drawing it and re-positioning to make a perfect impression.

Here’s a list of spells that are inconsistent even when drawn perfectly:

• Fireball 3
  • Frostbolt 3
  • Polymorph
  • Arcane Missile
  • Fireworks (lol)

Here’s a not-list of spells that are consistent even when drawn by a blind/drunk 4-year old:

• Literally everything else

Thanks for listening/reading if you made it this far! I am enjoying this game and looking forward to see how it continues to develop!

3 Likes

Ranger : I agree for the loots, very annoying

Warrior : Seems you need to continue to learn the class to me. It’s not perfect but it works fine at the moment.

Musk : played only a small time, so won’t say anything

Runemage : if you draw slowly, you won’t draw correctly, you are not a robot which can do perfect lines slowly :wink: (the more slow, the more shaking in your lines). moreover, you have to take more factors in your arguments like the 2D/3D plans, the head position, etc…

Also, your post doesn’t seem very friendly for a game in early-access. You should present suggestions in a more friendly way :grin:

I agree on most of your points, and disagree on a small few. I won’t go into detail since it would take away from your post.

Well written.

1 Like

Your original feedback is good Nicholas. Don’t ruin that with a sudden… “different”… choice of words.

2 Likes

I think the time to be friendly is over. They have accepted money for the game.
@Lukyin, I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Now that raids are done I hope the team will look at polishing and smoothing out the new player experience.
Regardless of what the older, hardcore player base feels. The classes all definitely need a rework. Runemage especially if they want this game to ever get off the ground.

I’m sorry but I laughed for a good while at the part about NPC’s “stealing” your items! What game in the history of games has not had NPC’s collect items from you in order to complete quests? hahahaha

I didn’t read the the stuff about the classes yet. Writing this post because of the things before it.

General

1. Beginner weapons cannot be destroyed because if you were to destroy all the weapons from a class you might end up locking yourself to becoming unable to fight and get equipment back. You won’t have a way to start getting drops with a certain class, or even switch to that class.

2. The compass changes color but not after you shake it. It changes color after you make it red or by putting back onto your chest. It becomes red because it is close to your avatar mouth and active for speaking into it. This is something that they hopefully will get around to fixing. Or adding a small logo to it instead of having it be color.

3. He does say in some of the dialogue of the some of the quest that you are helping him make shipments. Not sure if it was said in the first quest or the one you did. But saying bring Ernest 5 sunfish could be enough.

4. You can destroy such quest items. If you ever get in the scenario where you can’t destroy such items it is either because it is an item that might be used in a future quest or you need to contact a dev to help you. You destroy items by clicking them, thus selecting it, then a purple option on the bottom of the left UI should appear with a trashcan on it. Click it and then click the yes button and the item should be broken down or destroyed.

5. They didn’t want you to change talents mid fights or dungeons. Or perhaps even for different dungeons, or when going from training talents to dungeons. They more or less wanted it to be a change of playstyle for the classes. They were going to do something where it would cost more if you changed multiple times quickly but would reset back to the base cost if you waited long enough. They are supposed to be decisions that are important and are supposed to define your playstyle and your class.

6. They want to add more facial stuff in the future. They just haven’t gotten around to it. Not sure if beards was one of them. They wanted to add more hair options, especially for females. So beards seem like a good suggestion for when they get around to it.

7. This is set in a semi-medieval time setting. So unless the map works by some magical apparatus you are stuck using the old methods. Map and compass. The devs also are somewhat against HUD (I might be wrong here) and so wouldn’t want a minimap to display. They also want you to immerse yourself in the game and learn the landmarks and the places instead of becoming reliant on a map.

This is not always an ideal solution, especially for a warrior. In late game, all warriors need 2 full set of armor (magic and physical defense), often changing between them, or just mixing them a bit based on the situation. Also this can apply to other classes too, but it is less likely that they will have to swap, so in general the idea is good.

Every quest that requires you to collect some item will take them away.

With this, I’m not too sure, I personally only changed my talents a few times after the talent system has been released, afterwards I got used to the current talents I’m using. The only thing that I would change with your recommendation is to let it change only out of combat AND if no party member is inside a dungeon, as that is the main reason it has been limited, so players wouldn’t change it around too often, but as I said, once you figure out what talent works best with your playstyle, it is not too likely that you will change it that often.

I guess the reason there is no option for this to maintain the gender-neutrality, though I have to agree with you, some more customisation option would be welcome :slight_smile:

For the classes: as far as I can see you are not too experienced with the game so far, as your insight on some of them are slightly off, or in some case completely (such as warrior), so if you don’t mind, here is a general idea about the classes:

Ranger: easier to master than mage, but the damage will be far from what a GOOD mage can do due to the hard cap (maximum of 3 arrows per second). So even if you are using the most efficient arrow rotation, your DPS will be lacking compared to a mage, however the learning curve of the ranger is a lot more friendly.

Mage: has the highest DPS in the game, especially at level 20 with the talents, however it takes HOURS to master the higher level spells, and also to learn how to chaincast the lower level ones in an efficient way. You are right about mages being powerhouses, but at the same time not many players can master the class to an extent to actually out DPS a ranger. For the rune recognition, all I can say is that I can personally use some of the shortcuts others have mastered, but can’t use some others, so had to find my own way of using them, and yes, it takes time, not just watching a few videos/gifs or whatever. Others can give you tips with them, but you have to find your own way of making them work. Once you do that, you will realise that the skill recognition system is really forgiving already, as long as the most important ratios are correct, they will be recognised. Also, the actual runes you can find in game are not always 100% accurate, so even if you follow them perfectly, they might not always work, so it truly is a class that needs to be mastered if you want to become a good mage. (also make sure you are not drawing the runes too slowly, as it can make the spell fail too) P.S. I’ve never gotten PB2 either, but I don’t even need to, it is truly useless :smiley:

Warrior: this is the class I believe you have close to no experience with. Large shield definitely SHOULDN’T have a knockback, as it is used for control, if you push the enemy away from you, how are you going to do provoke to heal yourself up? For the big vs small shield: big shield is only used in teams where you have let’s say 3 DPS, 1 healer, 1 tank, your extra damage is not going to make a difference, however if you die, the whole party can wipe, therefore it is recommended to use the big shield to actually save your AND the party’s life. Also it is important to mention that blocking hits will generate more aggro than spamming provoke, which means the monsters will hit you rather than the squishy mage, and honestly, it would be hard to block many hits with small shield instead of big one. Also provokes are not only used for holding aggro, but if you have the right talent (Righteousness), you can also get healed up with provoke. Provoke is the best friend of the warrior, and used the most when playing in group. For playing solo, combining it with wound is the most efficient way. WOUND: this does not cause bleeding unless you have the talent, which I personally wouldn’t use as I prefer survivability over a bit of extra damage, but it’s up to you. Cleave: I think you are really underestimating this skill… I have to admit, it is not widely used by warriors, and it would most likely work if you have two warriors in a group fighting loads of monsters at the same time, while one can hold the aggro, the other can use cleave to deal massive amount of damage. Just an example for damage: if my wound with crit deals 4,000 damage to a single enemy, and I use cleave on 5-6 of them, the cleave can crit around 1,800 into each which means over 10k damage altogether from a single combo. So I don’t think it is useless the way it is, it’s just that using it might be rarely an efficient way to kill mobs if you are playing solo or with small teams. HAMSTRING: this is one of the most badass skill the warrior has, it makes kiting bosses or monsters possible, if you are in danger because you attack a strong monster, use a hamstring on it quickly and you can run away. Later on if you are doing shard dungeons, you will encounter the mutation called “mobile” which means monsters AND bosses will move a lot faster, and slowing it down only with a frost spell is not enough, so you will have to use hamstring as well to get the desired effect.

Musketeer: this is mainly a support class, making it easier to aim is a must have, for longer range, it is still darn difficult to heal someone, can’t even imagine how it would be possible to do it if it was any more difficult. I actually miss a proper scope from the weapon to be honest, as sometimes it does feel like I have to snipe heal someone without even an iron sight lmao.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts about the issues you said, and hope this little info text will give you same idea about the different classes. Sorry for focusing out warrior to that extent, but that is the class I’m playing mainly (over 450 hours of tanking lol), and it was just bothering me a bit how you got it completely wrong what being a warrior is about :smiley: Also, even after 450 hours, I don’t think I playing as a warrior is boring, especially because good warriors are always the core of the end-game teams, without them it would be impossible to complete high level shard dungeons and raids, and being a warrior is always about learning as well, you need to learn positioning the shield to block attacks from specific monsters, learn their hitbox so you can spam provoke as fast as possible helping out the healer in the team (in higher shard levels it is essential that you are not going down too fast, and the healer itself is usually not enough to help you with that).

2 Likes

This particular part i personally have a large issue with, as some people might have noticed from other threads :wink:

Very nice indepth post btw G

Musketeers need gun sight line from SAO GGO, so as they pull the trigger a line is drawn to the target. This would allow for much better aiming.
:slight_smile:

Rangers need more then two arrows, better utility and traps

-5. i know they can be deleted. Im saying they shouldnt have to be. If the quest needs me to get a hammer, rope, and peg. It should consume the rope, hammer and peg. Thats what happened with the fish quests after all.

-6. Theres no reason for this. Yes you shouldnt be able to change in combat, and arguably not when inside a dungeon/raid. However there isnt are point in making a rigid playstyle requirement otherwise. It should be free to change as much as we want outside of combat. This isnt diabo 2,or ragnarok online, or tree of savior. It isnt 2003 anymore. This is archaic thinking.

-8. Television portation, guns, turrets, airships - this is more of high fantasy than medievil, I would say having a scrying stone for onesself on the map isnt unrealistic.

@Justin_E1: The inconsistency between quests that leave my inventory full of junky useless quest items after completion, and quests that take items that otherwise have a use - is what I’m trying to call out. Take my sunfish, then immediately ask me to make something with sunfish - but by the way here’s a bunch of stuff you had to collect for a quest and “use”, by the way you can now also manually delete it from your inventory because reasons.

As a general response to those of you saying “You don’t have experience with warrior so you shouldn’t be talking about it!” (which is how it comes across reading). Unless I’m going to get a bunch of cool skills dumped on me between level 9-20, or Wound suddenly becomes very exciting to spam (hint: I know I’m not getting more skills, and I know Wound isn’t going to become exciting to use) - I feel my points about Warrior are still valid. Yes its mandatory because its a tank, yes it does mandatory things because its the mandatory tank, yes it has a ‘role’ - and has been given the requisite skills (sort of?) required to execute that task. But that’s it. That’s why I’m saying its a bore, and why its clunky, and why I don’t like it and why I can see that so few people actually play it (I’ve been told multiple times in game that we have a huge deficiency in Warriors).

This isn’t something specific to Orbus even. When you poorly implement a tank class (and the only melee class to boot) - very few people will want to play them. People that do, often do so because “somebody has to”.

Thanks, I’ve kinda snapped when I’ve read Nicholas’ first impression about warrior, so I went a bit too much into the details I guess :smiley:

About the spells, so far what I’ve experienced is that the best you can do to learn the spells is to ask someone in game to show you how to do it (they will move inside you a bit, don’t be surprised, they do it so you can see how the wand moves a bit better :wink:)

It’s been referred to as body-watching in-game, which is what I mentioned in my original post.

I’ll do a post for each of the classes or something, now that I have read them.

Ranger

1. Agree there should be someway to pick up items with the classes such as ranger that would make things easier. There is however a way to bypass this. There is a dragon effect plunder that makes your pet dragon pick up items for you, so you don’t have to worry about it.

2. Two arrows are okay in my view. Most mages will end up having mainly a spell cycle of two spells. Fire and Frost, and then Affliction and Arcane Blast. More experienced mages will end up trying to use three spells or those four, for damage. This topic however is very tricky. There is another thread about the utility of rangers and some thoughts on how to change them. Whilst I do think there should be changes I don’t think making a third arrow accessible to all rangers will be the right solution. But in terms of damage things mages and rangers have a similar amount of things. A Ranger has two special arrows and the charged shot, so 3 (3.5 because of regular shots?). Mages have mainly 5 damage spells, three of which have different tiers, and one which most end content mages don’t use (Arcane Ray). (P.S. Pushback spells also do damage but I didn’t include them here because it is very little damage and has diminishing returns). So it is mostly 4 damage things for mages.

3. The trap is very useful for leveling. It traps non-elite mobs that aren’t taking damage. The duration is somewhat long. However! if they take damage from any source they become untrapped. This includes poison or DoTs from mages. Now this can be very critical when training. The way you use it is to put the trap in front of you hit the mob as it comes to you then it becomes trapped, and then you back away giving you enough time to get your arrows hopefully another round, and get one more charged shot. The trap however becomes less used in higher end content, but I think some use could be used for them.

**Edit:**I forgot Ice lance! So it brings it up to 5 different things that do damage.

• A dragon isn’t able to f ex drink a health pot for you though :wink:
  • Rangers are still having an artificial arsenal limit during play where mages do not (comparing amount of arrows to spells is comparing apples to oranges in my opinion)
  • While the trap can be useful during leveling (but only really if you mess up), it is still pretty much the only class having such a “gimmick” that becomes more or less useless outside of leveling

Sorry, just had to put that in there although i didn’t really want to go into this in this thread.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.