Game runs choppy

I have a a 1080 8gb video card, 16gb of ram and high end i7 processor (alienware X51). I started playing orbus yesterday and even on low settings the game has clipping and runs choppy at times. What would make this game run better or is it just that buggy? I feel like I should be able to run it on the highest settings without issue, but that is not the case at all. Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

The way unity is used in this game is absolutely a disaster… enough said

Oculus, vive, steam, wired hmd, wireless hmd, laptop, desktop, wired internet, wireless internet, etc… more info would help narrow it down.

I have a wireless internet laptop using a gtx1060 with a wireless tpcast setup using two open routers. I have a vive using steam. My supersampling is at 1.2 and I can run ultra grfx.

I did have to change my power management settings basically all to high performance, remove all screen saver/ sleep mode options, my laptop has to be plugged in and background and startup programs disabled or turned off.(this is to run all my vr games not just bc of orbus)

Other things to consider are internet speed, firewall settings, various steam settings, when is it choppy (large groups or anytime) and have you tried using the ‘‘alternate socket’’ option when you first log on?

@Konstantine no offense but how did you use Unity in the vr game you created?..just curious

2 Likes

Thank you for the constructive reply.
The link below is my computer. I have hard wired internet at 75mb/s dedicated fiber optic line. I average about 30mb/s down and 9mb/s up. I am using oculus touch and everything is hard wired. I hope that helps

https://www.staples.com/Dell-Alienware-Area-51-Desktop-Intel-i7-2TB-HDD-16GB-RAM-Windows-10-Home-NVIDIA-GTX-1080-w-8GB-GDDR5X-Graphics/product_2717415?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:2717415&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2717415&KPID=2717415&cvosrc=pla.dotcom-sales-google.Computers&cvo_crid=225653520159&cvo_campaign=950105425&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZzWBRD2ARIsAIPenY3ALdvuushbFmkAQBqhtUSP0bytmpad-2kq8B8nF0Yl-lghLdA5Md0aAhfeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I do have the power options by default set to highest performance.

The alternate socket? Not sure what that does, but I was shocked that it was running choppy on any setting at all with my PC.

When you are on the character select screen look to the left and down… it’ll say something like ‘‘default’’ and ‘‘websocket alternate’’ select alternate… I know that for issues and crashing you can choose the alternate and it helps out. Try that first.

havent created any game but i have played tons of it. does that count?

I’m going to try tonight, but wasn’t sure if this was a common problem folks faced. If I need 32gb of ram to get rid of the choppiness then so be it, but if it’s something else or just the game then I wanted to know.

I will try the socket and hope for the best. The game is mad cool, so I want to play it looking as good as possible. definitely exceeded my expectations and the pictures do it NO justice.

Hi there, it is a bit strange that it would be choppy like that - is it seeming the same at different graphical settings? Also try prioritizing the game to highest priority on the first CPU core from the task manager, some people have mentioned doing that and it helping.

1 Like

I thought it was weird too. I will try a couple of the mentioned things here and see if it helps when I log on in 10mins. Thanks for the advice

For me, just this weekend I made a profile in Oculus Tray Tool. For orbusvr I turn off ASW , super sample 1.3, high cpu priority. I then set graphics to standard in the Orbusvr in game menus. It may take a few extra seconds to load new areas, but the graphics are way better, less jittery, and may have even made my runecasting more accurate.

Don’t think this is the same issue but I’ve noticed that when I look toward certain directions in dungeons I notice lag. I think it’s when looking at trash mobs but when I stand next to them and look at them I don’t have this issue. It’s more noticeable looking at the Ultimate and Health bars in the attached video. Please let me know if you have any issues viewing it.

CPU: 8700k
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
480 GB SSD

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wbneBlVypVrfYL1ZwfzUlwDekoa8PPM1/view?usp=drivesdk

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.