Give arms back for muted players

We use Discord to communicate and mute each other in game.
Can we get a secondary option to not remove arms or just show arms when muted.
I doubt it’s much an issue with our community.

4 Likes

This would be a great change! Was trying to help some friends tonight while talking to them on discord and couldn’t figure out why we couldn’t see each others hands. Never realized that muting them to stop the echoing would mess that up.

This is on our list of possible future additions. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Oh Yes please!! Pls give us the arms back :wink:

1 Like

So if you’re using Discord and that’s where your voice chat is going, wouldn’t it make more sense to mute yourself? Otherwise you’re walking around broadcasting voice chat that will make no sense to anyone else because you’re participating in conversations on another voice platform…

4 Likes

Right but I also don’t want to hear my teammates in game and also in discord or else it doubles the audio.

It comes down the the fellowship chat in game not being useful enough.

2 Likes

The whole idea is that you can still easily interact with those around you without having to hear echo from everyone else in your party.

1 Like

No I get it, what I’m picturing is, a bunch of people who are in different places in the game world, running around and talking to each other, but still broadcasting their voice out to the proximity chat in-game. Even though someone walking by them would be very confused because they don’t seem to be talking to anyone.

I’ve experienced this before and can confirm it’s a little strange lol

2 Likes

But why are the arms? And not the Mouth? XD

1 Like

Well, our mouths don’t animate in that way but if someone is being aggressive with you, removing their ability to gesture at you makes it more comfortable to deal with.

Our group uses discord to chat while in game, until recently (we range between 25 and 40 hours of play time did we realize that you can use the compass to broadcast to party without being near one another) We also mute each other so we don’t have echo but we want to be able to communicate with others that we come across in game as well, we just prefer discord over in game chat for a few reasons. However, we do like to talk to others and often invite random people to party while questing/farming mobs.

1. You don’t have to worry about missing part of the conversation if you die and the rest of your group lives.
  2. You can communicate without having to constantly pick up the compass/microphone to chat—the fading of voice over a distance makes it hard to hear/understand people (like if an archer is at max distance from a target and the healer is on the opposite side) we find ourselves having to stop everything and change volume settings to hear occasionally.
  3. In discord you can adjust individual’s volume, in game however we’ve yet to find a way to turn up people and have had to turn down all other sound options, excluding voice, to be able to hear some people asking for help.

Back to the original topic, would it be possible to just add this as a separate toggle? A hide arms for muted players yes/no slider? This would help in seeing a tank’s shield that you have muted as well as helping people with wand motions without having to change voice preferences.

2 Likes

Would not it be easier to completely block a player? so that you can not see him anymore?

@Jordan_G i agree with u and Often the Compass doesent works right.

1 Like

is there news about this?

As I have noted, almost every Fellowship uses discord. we too. First we mute each other in the game. then the game makes only half as much fun.(without arms…) then we decided to disable our in-game voice … not nice for other people who wants to talk with you … (And before I enabled it again, people sometimes go away again or I totally forget that voice is off) could not you put in another way? I have already met a lot of players who see it just as unfortunate

Edit: i also Noticed that some people are soo Loud and some Very Quiet. (I Think uses other mic) Could not it be possible to install a voice control next to the current system? now select players nearby and set Voice louder or softer (or to mute)

2 Likes

Interesting, I don’t mute people ingame, but myself (ingame) when I’m on discord, and endure the echo of some. Other than that I’d second all what was said, I’d actually would like a couple of improvements which would help a lot with communication and random groups:

• Arms back for those muted
  • Party Voices be heard whereever you are
  • Send-Message (and add friend) Button in party list, not only friends!!
  • Easy quick button to mute/unmute yourself (discord - muteclick - ingame menu click - settings click - audio tab click - unmute click - close-click - by that time the one who asked for help is often gone)
  • Also I don’t see my own status, need the menu to check, so if you look up to xp bar it would be good to see what others see (mute-icon / talk icon)

Perhaps that is only my problem, but my Rift mike crashes every now and then, I can see in discord if it’s down or up, but ingame it is a pain to figure; also any quick button to, like, display a “can you hear me” message would help with that, but I get that’s likely too complicated for the few having this issue.

4 Likes

oh yes, I agree with your listed points! O Really often searching- and then no Message Button :roll_eyes:
A quick Button to mute/unmute yourself is a Good idea, also an Icon (i Really often forget is my Voice enabled?)
Others can see the mute Icon - Hmmm i Think some random People do not even speak to you when they see you are muted…

My Problem is i want to answer some random People (often new players question) but then i “oh man i’m muted :roll_eyes:

Hmm i have a vive, maybe some other rift players have the same problem?

1 Like

I hope they rework the entire voip system to be as good as Discord similarly to how Rainbow 6 Siege revamped theirs.

Right now people use discord due to ingame VOIP. Here are some of the more common issues:

1. Cutting out even inside instances where only 5 people are talking. Only workaround is to tell the person they are cutting out, let them stop talking, then they can restart talking and it will fix itself.
  2. People are cutting out for specific people. Sometimes party members will hear others fine, but other party members will hear a bunch of voip dropped
  3. VOIP voices are being sped up sometimes and sound very high pitched. This happens often and is most noticeable during longer conversations between two people.
  4. Fellowship voip with journal suffers massively from voip being cut off or cutting in and out
  5. Party voip with journal tool also suffers from the same
  6. Massive cutting out of voip when there are 10+ players in the vicinity.

If they can fix VOIP and then offer a few more options around it the socialization in this game will be at least twice as engaging.

4 Likes

OT: I drank from a can with a straw and now I have a hick-up and mute everything, and people think I’m rude :(. #VRpleasuresFTW

I use discord and it never occurred to me to mute other players. We simply turn off our voice chat and done. If we want to speak to someone in game that is not in discord we just enable it for a bit. I think is the better solution and what Riley was pointing to. By doing it this way no one’s hands disappear.

4 Likes

I do like that you can vanish people’s arms. Had a annoying guy in my face wile fishing. Felt good muting him and have his arms vanish.